PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day Tournament Results

OffsideTrap
05-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Any news from the FC Delco or Needham tournaments? Or others?

FSM
05-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Big one for the Bolts BU14/15s: Manchester United Premier Cup at the Nike Headquarters in Beaverton, OR.
http://www.fcportland.org/wordpress/?page_id=15

The tournament is set up like World Cup including the draw and the winner gets a free trip to international finals. Wayne Rooney made an appearance during this year's opening ceremonies.

Here's the competition:

Arsenal FC from Rancho Cucamonga, California
Bethesda S.C. Arsenal from Bethesda, Maryland
Concorde Fire Elite from Atlanta, Georgia
Crossfire Premier from Seattle, Washington
Dallas Texans from Dallas, Texas
FC Delco Roadkill from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
FC Greater Boston Bolts from Boston, Massachusetts
FC Portland Academy (Tournament Host) from Portland, Oregon
Irvine Strikers from Irvine, California
PDA from Zarephath, New Jersey
Real Colorado from Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Real So Cal from Woodland Hills, California
Rush Select from Lakewood, Colorado
San Diego Surf from San Diego, California
Scott Gallagher from St. Louis, Missouri
Sereno Soccer Club from Phoenix, Arizona
Sockers FC Chicago from Chicago, Illinois
Team Ohio from Columbus, Ohio
Valley United SC Blast from Granada Hills, California
Vardar from Detroit, Michigan

Bolts lost their first one 1-0 against San Diego Surf, but as So Cal teams are already 5-2-3, I don't think a 1-0 loss is anything to be ashamed. Competition by the scores looks well matched: http://www.fcportland.org/wordpress/?page_id=19

P.S. I never knew there really is a place called Cucamonga

05-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Needham scores posted here:

http://www.gotsport.com/events/?eventid=1196

Judging by the scores, the competetive looks to be very uneven with score of 9-1, 10-0, etc. even in the "Premier" division.

Susy Soccer
05-27-2007, 06:40 AM
FC Delco scores are here - http://www.go2ustc.com/soccer/playerscup.shtml

05-27-2007, 07:33 AM
Scorpions Soccer 1 vs 0 Twin County Crew
Scorpions Soccer 0 vs 1 Vincent United Blizzards

What is going on with the U14 Scorpions this spring? A team with 6 or 7 Regional players shouldn't be struggling because 2 players are injured.

05-27-2007, 09:11 AM
They are only 14 years old and will have some ups and downs. Kids that young have the right to make mistakes and have their ups and downs without it becoming a big deal. If it is no big deal to the adults it will be no big deal to the kids.

05-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the links. The biggest surprise at FC Delco for me is the Braddock Road loss to FC Pennsylvania (who I believe is a U13 team....obviously a very good one!). Nice tournament. Tough brackets and good teams.

MASoccer
05-27-2007, 09:51 AM
USClub Soccer Region 1 Final
www.gotsport.com/events/default.aspx?EventID=1005 (http://url)

05-27-2007, 10:37 AM

What is going on with the U14 Scorpions this spring? A team with 6 or 7 Regional players shouldn't be struggling because 2 players are injured.

It's partly their style of play. If you focus on goto players, it's hard to adjust when they're missing. The Stars style is a little more balanced. The Scorps will recover just fine.

Susy Soccer
05-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the links. The biggest surprise at FC Delco for me is the Braddock Road loss to FC Pennsylvania (who I believe is a U13 team....obviously a very good one!). Nice tournament. Tough brackets and good teams.

The Delco brackets seem very balanced. There will be some two and three way ties by then end of the day which will have to be resolved by tie breakers and those may not go well for the top ranked teams (Pasco, BRaddock Road and Scorps). Hopefully Scorps can get the wildcard. I wonder if players are missing from some of these teams (injury, vacations) or if some very long seasons are beginning to have an impact.

Here's the link to PDA college showcase -

http://www.gotsport.com/events/?eventid=1163

FSM
05-27-2007, 11:06 AM

The biggest problem for the Scorpions is that they are victims of their own success and expectations for them are very high. I think the Bolts U17s suffered a similiar problem last year and then went on to win at the Regionals.

FSM
05-27-2007, 11:20 AM
It's partly their style of play. If you focus on goto players, it's hard to adjust when they're missing. The Stars style is a little more balanced. The Scorps will recover just fine.

I'm curious what you mean by "style of play". Often you see young teams peter out around U13/U14 because they play a kick and chase style of soccer and have built their teams around early maturing 10, 11 and 12 year olds who physically dominate a game. Once the other kids' growth catch up and surpass in skills these teams get left behind. But nobody would ever accuse the Scorpions of being a kick and chase team. Far from it, so I know that's not what you mean.

05-27-2007, 07:40 PM

Try this one -

http://www.gotsport.com/events/?eventid=1005

In GU14 Bolts won all three games, had the toughest crossover (Killer Bees) and is playing Killer Bees in the finals.

05-27-2007, 09:04 PM

i had the pleasure to watch the u12g first scorpion team player earlier this year ... far from run and gun ... consistant, frequent, 5, 6 or more short passes to feet building up an effective attack ... terrific off the ball movement beyond their years ... the prettiest, and most effective game i've seen a team this old play.

OffsideTrap
05-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks again for the links. Interesting results over the weekend thus far. Any news or results from the Oakwood tournament? Happy Memorial Day to you all!

Susy Soccer
05-28-2007, 07:25 AM
Here is the link to Oakwood.

http://www.oakwoodsoccer.com/Tournament ... i_2004.htm (http://www.oakwoodsoccer.com/Tournaments/opi_outdoor/opi_2004.htm)

The reuslts on the bottom of the page are from last year. Hopefully this year's results will be posted eventually.

05-28-2007, 09:00 AM

Try this one -

http://www.gotsport.com/events/?eventid=1005

In GU14 Bolts won all three games, had the toughest crossover (Killer Bees) and is playing Killer Bees in the finals.

Looks like the seeding was fairly even given the small number of teams involved. As a point of reference, the Stars beat the Killer Bees 9-1 in Region 1 Premier league play.

05-28-2007, 09:52 AM

I'm curious what you mean by "style of play".

But nobody would ever accuse the Scorpions of being a kick and chase team. Far from it, so I know that's not what you mean.

There are MANY styles of play besides "kick and chase". At this age many team depend on one or two impact players and when those players are out, the team has a very hard time. Their style of play is driven by those few players. The Scorps will do just fine. My point was that the Stars team is more balanced and their game is less reactive to one or two missing players. Now one more time - to be clear...The Scorps are a fine team, but each team does have its differences.

Susy Soccer
05-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Looks like the seeding was fairly even given the small number of teams involved. As a point of reference, the Stars beat the Killer Bees 9-1 in Region 1 Premier league play.

Yeah - Killer Bees have recovered a bit since then although they don't seem quite so dominant as they once were. There was a rumor they were missing players, but it's not like they dominated after that weekend either.

Another point of reference I think Scorps beat Killer Bees 1-0 the same day as the Stars game and Scorps were playing without either of the players that had been periodically missing this spring.

05-28-2007, 11:20 AM

What ios the format of the US Club Soccer National Cup? It looks like there are two separate brackets ("Super Group" and "Premier") at least in some age groups. Are these separate competitions or do they intersect at some point? Does the winner of the Super Group and the Premier brackets both advance to the National Championship finals? Alternatively, are there actually two different "National Champtions" crowned?

BTW, the Bandits are currently leading the Premier bracket at the Region A championships.

FSM
05-28-2007, 11:31 AM

Yeah - Killer Bees have recovered a bit since then although they don't seem quite so dominant as they once were. There was a rumor they were missing players, but it's not like they dominated after that weekend either.

Another point of reference I think Scorps beat Killer Bees 1-0 the same day as the Stars game and Scorps were playing without either of the players that had been periodically missing this spring.

Killer Bees were ENY State Champions in 2005 and 2006 and are in the finals again this year to be played next weekend against East Meadow United. They were finalist last year at the US Club Regionals losing 3-0 to PDA. They also lost to PDA 3-2 in the RR portion of the Regional Championships. Bolts are expecting a physical battle as we speak. At halftime its 1-0 Bees.

BTW, the Bandits are currently leading the Premier bracket at the Region A championships.

Good for them!

Susy Soccer
05-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Killer Bees were ENY State Champions in 2005 and 2006 and are in the finals again this year to be played next weekend against East Meadow United. They were finalist last year at the US Club Regionals losing 3-0 to PDA. They also lost to PDA 3-2 in the RR portion of the Regional Championships. Bolts are expecting a physical battle as we speak. At halftime its 1-0 Bees.

I beleive that very physical play is a characteristic style of many of the ENY teams. Killer Bees were extremely physical in the game against the Stars. The refs (which were not their hometown refs) called them tons of times in the first half; Stars had few if any calls against them that half. I think that put them off their game. It's pretty clear that a team often succeeds at least in part by being physical (putting the fear of god into opponents early on perhaps) when the calls are all made against them and their parents are the only ones screaming "Come on ref - let them play! Good luck to the Bolts - it would be great to see another Mass team put ENY in their place.

FSM
05-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Bad news. Bees win 1-0. :cry:

05-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Needham:

Girls U13 Premier - Blackhawks over MPS Renegades 3-2 on an Overtime awarded PK

Girls U14 Open A (Premier) - MPS Renegades over Vikings 2-1

Girls U15 Premier - Sachems over South Central Premier (CT) 3-2

Boys U13 Premier - MPS Bulldogs over Bolts 2-1

Boys U14 Premier - MPS Cape vs. (pending)

Boys U15 Premier MPS Bulldogs over Bolts 4-0

05-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Needham:

Great showing for MPS. I (tournament official) watched the Girls U13 final. Double OT and the call that awarded the PK was lousy in my opinion. MPS controlled the game.

Anyway, we had a very successful tournament.

05-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Needham:

Great showing for MPS. I (tournament official) watched the Girls U13 final. Double OT and the call that awarded the PK was lousy in my opinion. MPS controlled the game.

Just a correction - the Girls U15 Premier was posted incorrectly - South Central never made it into the semi-finals. MPS Lady Crusaders beat the Scorpions 5-0, and then went onto win the finals vs. Sachem - 3-2.

pitch420
05-28-2007, 06:13 PM

Wow! Aren't the Bolts a nationally ranked team?

Susy Soccer
05-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Not by NSR - 35th in the region by NSR unless they dropped a lot recently.

Oops - Things are changing at NSR but they are no longer even regionally ranked . This changed since I posted this so maybe they were nationally ranked and have fallen a great deal

MASoccer
05-28-2007, 06:44 PM

What ios the format of the US Club Soccer National Cup? It looks like there are two separate brackets ("Super Group" and "Premier") at least in some age groups. Are these separate competitions or do they intersect at some point? Does the winner of the Super Group and the Premier brackets both advance to the National Championship finals? Alternatively, are there actually two different "National Champtions" crowned?

Inter U17 Girls and U15 Boys won their final in the premier division. Both teams will be competing in the USClub Soccer finals in North Carolina mid July. Some of the age groups are separated by Super Groups and Premier Groups. The Super Group is mainly state championship or nationally ranked teams. At the nationals there will be two levels of championships for each age group.

Level of play for the premier group was still competitive. The U15 boys have had a rough season with a lot of injuries, but they looked great and hopefully are well prepared for state cup play next weekend. Because of their win in the premier group, they get an automatic bid to the Super group next year. this years winner in the Super Group for the U15's was Bethesda Roadrunners, last year's Region 1 champion.

05-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Oakwood Premier Invitational GU16 Elite Division won by MPS U16 Cape Cod

05-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Corrected Needham results based on some other posts (apparently there are several incorrect scores on the website)! So I take no responsibility!:

Girls U13 Premier - Blackhawks over MPS Renegades 3-2 on double overtime awarded PK

Girls U15 Premier - MPS Lady Crusaders over Sachems 3-2

Boys U14 Premier - MPS Cape (?) vs. (pending)

Boys U15 Premier Bolts ("B" team, apparently) over MPS Bulldogs 4-0

SoccerHacker
05-28-2007, 08:39 PM
In addition to the Inter U17 Girls and U15 Boys, the U14 Girls were the champs in the premier division at the US Club Soccer Region A tournament.

05-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Needham:

I watched this game as well and I can’t see how you could come away with that opinion. The Blackhawks were in control of this game with a 2-0 lead going into the last 10 minutes when fatigue set in. MPS had 21 players on their bench. The PK was a qualified call as the player with the ball was taken down from behind in the box. BTW, are you the same tournament official who has a son on an MPS team that played right after this game? Hmm… I wonder. Don’t take away or diminish these girls’ victory. These were the only two goals the Blackhawks gave up the entire weekend.

05-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Way to go Blackhawk girls!

MPS cost 3,000
Blackhawks cost 800
Blackhawks 3 MPS 2 Priceless

05-29-2007, 06:48 AM
The U13 boys score was incorrectly stated on the needham site it was actually 2-1 bolts. But dont let the score mislead you - in a very competitive game 'mps' did not deserve the loss. I heard on the side of he field that there was a lot of 'SOE' graduates playing for both teams - in the final of a genuine U13 tournament.

Let me guess what the replys to this will be cost cost cost!!

05-29-2007, 07:07 AM

MPS cost 3,000
Blackhawks cost 800

Congratulations to the Blackhawks on a fine tournament. However, you just don't get it.... the issue of a win or a loss in one game of 12-13 year olds is not what many families are seeking in an overall soccer experience.

Susy Soccer
05-29-2007, 07:13 AM
This may be a genuine (if not particularly highly ranked) tournament but the fact they posted so many scores incorrectly is not impressive in the least. And we only know about the games where MPS was playing. There are probably inaccuracies all over the place based on the three that have been pointed out so far.

05-29-2007, 07:29 AM
This may be a genuine (if not particularly highly ranked) tournament but the fact they posted so many scores incorrectly is not impressive in the least. And we only know about the games where MPS was playing. There are probably inaccuracies all over the place based on the three that have been pointed out so far.

You are correct SS. There are many inaccurate scores posted. I guess it only matters to someone trying to keep statistics and rankings though.

05-29-2007, 07:39 AM
Needham:

I watched this game as well and I can’t see how you could come away with that opinion. The Blackhawks were in control of this game with a 2-0 lead going into the last 10 minutes when fatigue set in. MPS had 21 players on their bench. The PK was a qualified call as the player with the ball was taken down from behind in the box. BTW, are you the same tournament official who has a son on an MPS team that played right after this game? Hmm… I wonder. Don’t take away or diminish these girls’ victory. These were the only two goals the Blackhawks gave up the entire weekend.

Not affiliated with MPS or Maple as a matter of fact. My kids are in college. I have a very different opinion of the game and the BW girl never hit the ground, was a lousy call. The linesman I spoke with after the game agreed with me but its done, game is in the books and congrats to the Blackhawks.

05-29-2007, 07:39 AM

MPS cost 3,000
Blackhawks cost 800

Congratulations to the Blackhawks on a fine tournament. However, you just don't get it.... the issue of a win or a loss in one game of 12-13 year olds is not what many families are seeking in an overall soccer experience.

I agree with you on your comment about winning at the age of 12-13. However, another poster is inaccurately commenting on the game MPS played for their own benefit/satisfaction and trying to diminish the Blackhawks victory over MPS by a “lousyâ€￾ call by the official. I watched the game and both teams played very well. Both had periods of ups and downs. Blackhawks made two mistakes and MPS capitalized on them near the end of regulation. MPS committed a bad foul in overtime and paid a price. Both teams should be praised for what was a well played and fun game to watch. Let’s get a grip on reality, these are kids playing a kids game.

pitch420
05-29-2007, 07:46 AM
another poster is inaccurately commenting on the game MPS played for their own benefit/satisfaction and trying to diminish the Blackhawks victory over MPS by a “lousyâ€￾ call by the official.

Sounds like a different opinion is all. Everyone looks and interprets things differently....

05-29-2007, 08:07 AM
another poster is inaccurately commenting on the game MPS played for their own benefit/satisfaction and trying to diminish the Blackhawks victory over MPS by a “lousyâ€￾ call by the official.

Sounds like a different opinion is all. Everyone looks and interprets things differently....

Like I said, "Both teams should be praised for what was a well played and fun game to watch".

05-29-2007, 09:32 AM

MPS cost 3,000
Blackhawks cost 800

As a parent of a player on the BH’s, I must admit that I was very impressed by the skill and training of the MPS team. Very well disciplined and composed on the field. They never gave up right to the end. That said, do they teach good sportsmanship over at MPS? My disappointment stems from the fact that at the awards ceremony, only a handful of players and parents would “cheerâ€￾ for our team when the majority of our team (players and parents) were cheering non-stop for MPS. We teach our kids to always cheer for the other team, win or lose. At the end of the day, when all is said and done they don’t care what happened the day before. My daughter hasn’t brought any events of weekend once in the car for the drive home. So when you say it’s not about winning, I’m sorry that I have a hard time believing you.

Susy Soccer
05-29-2007, 10:10 AM

You are correct SS. There are many inaccurate scores posted. I guess it only matters to someone trying to keep statistics and rankings though.

The problem is that these results feed into the Gotsoccer system and team rankings include these results. Right or wrong (and one can argue this ad nauseum) the team rankings can affect future acceptances into tournaments all over the country. It matters more if the team is not state champion (or otherwise highly ranked by NSR). A lot of the teams at Needham fall into this category since so many "A" teams went elsewhere. For teams that should be able to claim championships, it doesn't help that Gotsoocer reflects someone else as a champion. It could really effect the Cinderella story teams who don't have other impressive CVs to fall back on.

05-29-2007, 10:14 AM
As a parent of a player on the BH’s, I must admit that I was very impressed by the skill and training of the MPS team. Very well disciplined and composed on the field. They never gave up right to the end. That said, do they teach good sportsmanship over at MPS? My disappointment stems from the fact that at the awards ceremony, only a handful of players and parents would “cheerâ€￾ for our team when the majority of our team (players and parents) were cheering non-stop for MPS. We teach our kids to always cheer for the other team, win or lose. At the end of the day, when all is said and done they don’t care what happened the day before. My daughter hasn’t brought any events of weekend once in the car for the drive home. So when you say it’s not about winning, I’m sorry that I have a hard time believing you.

I'm an MPS parent and witnessed the same thing and can see why you made that observation. The club takes great strides on the values of sportsmanship I can assure you. I don't want to get into whether the PK call was good or bad but I think we were all stunned by the call as well as mentally drained by a tough game versus MPS Cape Cod in the semi's but is no excuse.

In the end, BW could have had a bad call go against them just as easily. Happens in every game and everyone needs to be aware of that. Referee's are only human.

As we dont play in Maple, playing a good Maple D1 team is a barometer for us to gauge. The coach, witnessing the same response, told the girls & parents that they played hard and we should be proud for the weekends results and to play as we did against the caliber BW plays at is excellent and should be happy for BW as they played an excellent match.

Congratulations on a great weekend and well deserved championship!

05-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Needham results can be misleading because the quality of competition is generally mediocre. Lots of MAPLE D2 and teams from Maine. Vermont and lesser Conn. in the Premier Divisions. Add to that the fact that a lot of the fields are in pretty poor shape and Memorial Day rosters are notoriously "maleable" because of other commitments and it is hard to judge comparable quality, especially at the Under 14 and above ages.

05-29-2007, 10:24 AM

MPS cost 3,000
Blackhawks cost 800

I wrote the bolded quote above, and I am not an MPS parent, i was responding to the ridiculous "we won and we pay so much less than you" tone of the "way to go Blackhawks" post. That is so beside the point. And as for the cheering issue, I am sure you can appreciate the disappointment of 12-yr old girls with a loss at the end of a long weekend. Of course the winning team was "cheering non-stop" -- Duh! Having seen the MPS coaches over the years in their "speeches" after tournament finals, win or lose, they are in every instance extremely gracious and complimentary of the other team. I am sure that this MPS coach was nothing but professional.

05-29-2007, 11:38 AM
I have read comments on this forum regarding our tournament this weekend. Just wanted to set the record straight. Many scores from Monday are posted incorrectly on the site, due to referees & field marshals not knowing home and away status as well as many sleep-deprived volunteers trying to post scores and get fields closed.
Bolts U13B beat MPS Bulldogs in the final 2-1
Bolts U16B (playing up in U17) beat Seacoast and won the final 5-1
to name a few misprints on the tournament site. As Susy points out, Gotsoccer uses these results for rankings and other tournaments use those rankings for future tournament acceptances so we do take this seriously. Appreciate your patience while we get the 2007 tournament "put to bed".
Corrected results will be posted by Wednesday morning. Hopefully mathman & others can wait.

05-29-2007, 11:39 AM

MPS cost 3,000
Blackhawks cost 800

I wrote the bolded quote above, and I am not an MPS parent, i was responding to the ridiculous "we won and we pay so much less than you" tone of the "way to go Blackhawks" post. That is so beside the point. And as for the cheering issue, I am sure you can appreciate the disappointment of 12-yr old girls with a loss at the end of a long weekend. Of course the winning team was "cheering non-stop" -- Duh! Having seen the MPS coaches over the years in their "speeches" after tournament finals, win or lose, they are in every instance extremely gracious and complimentary of the other team. I am sure that this MPS coach was nothing but professional.

I notice how defensive people get whenever any type of critisism is directed at MPS. Enough with the bashing on both sides. Grow up!

05-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Our daughters team is one of the teams with scores posted incorrectly, but I wanted to say thank you to "Needham Soccer" for a great tournament. With the exceptions of the scores I believe the tournament was run very well. All games started on time or within minutes. The officiating for the most part was very good (don't we all have issues when the call doesn't go our way) and the fields that we played on were in great shape.

Thank you for all of your hard work. I am quite certain that it is no easy feat to pull off a tournament of that size.

05-29-2007, 11:54 AM

MPS cost 3,000
Blackhawks cost 800

Life is full of disapointments. Unless you were there, you can't comment on what did or did not take place. I don' see any reference in the posters' comments about the MPS coach??? Duh!

pitch420
05-29-2007, 11:55 AM
I notice how defensive people get whenever any type of critisism is directed at MPS. Enough with the bashing on both sides. Grow up!

Only natural to become defensive when criticized, defensiveness will end when the criticism ends.

"Cant we all just get along?"

Unless you were there, you can't comment on what did or did not take place. I don' see any reference in the posters' comments about the MPS coach??? Duh!!

I saw generalizations, not fact.

05-29-2007, 12:09 PM

Only natural to become defensive when criticized, defensiveness will end when the criticism ends.

"Cant we all just get along?"

Unless you were there, you can't comment on what did or did not take place. I don' see any reference in the posters' comments about the MPS coach??? Duh!!

I saw generalizations, not fact.

Critisism in this case was based on posters' non-factual assumption. Not directed at MPS directly. Sorry if that was unclear. I stand corrected.

05-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Our daughters team is one of the teams with scores posted incorrectly, but I wanted to say thank you to "Needham Soccer" for a great tournament. With the exceptions of the scores I believe the tournament was run very well. All games started on time or within minutes. The officiating for the most part was very good (don't we all have issues when the call doesn't go our way) and the fields that we played on were in great shape.

Thank you for all of your hard work. I am quite certain that it is no easy feat to pull off a tournament of that size.

I agree with the above poster. Nothing is perfect. Our team played on some of the best fileds aompared with other tournaments. Games mostly went off on time and refs were more than OK (at least in our case). Thank you Needham.

05-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Really not much the host can do about the fields although I would agree that some of the fields in Needham (especially at DeFazio) were not great - although the big field at Babson looked superb. Also would agree that the competition is a little spotty but on par with most other New England tournaments like Oakwood or Nashua. However, I would say that Needham Youth Soccer puts a great effort into the tournament and that they do a good job with the organization, especialy the volunteers who manned the information booths at each main venue.

FSM
05-29-2007, 01:06 PM

Congratulations to the Blackhawks on a fine tournament. However, you just don't get it....
As a parent of a player on the BH’s,....

I wrote the bolded quote above, and I am not an MPS parent......

Life is full of disapointments.........

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/char067.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org) Is this an example of someone with a split personality or what? http://www.websitetoolbox.com/images/boards/smilies/crazy.gif

People, have your actually tried to register? Or like me, you have forgetten to log in? Could you possible make an effort to register if you haven't already? And if you have, could you try to remember to log in or at least note when you have forgotten? Believe me, if you post under a pen name, we're not any more likely to know who you are, but it will lead to a little less confusion when reading your posts.

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/signs153.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Susy Soccer
05-29-2007, 01:09 PM
I have read comments on this forum regarding our tournament this weekend. Just wanted to set the record straight. Many scores from Monday are posted incorrectly on the site, due to referees & field marshals not knowing home and away status as well as many sleep-deprived volunteers trying to post scores and get fields closed.
Bolts U13B beat MPS Bulldogs in the final 2-1
Bolts U16B (playing up in U17) beat Seacoast and won the final 5-1
to name a few misprints on the tournament site. As Susy points out, Gotsoccer uses these results for rankings and other tournaments use those rankings for future tournament acceptances so we do take this seriously. Appreciate your patience while we get the 2007 tournament "put to bed".
Corrected results will be posted by Wednesday morning. Hopefully mathman & others can wait.

And once the corrections are made - those corrections will filter through the Gotsoccer system. Good job making the needed corrections so promptly - Needhamsoccer!

highbury
05-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Does anyone have results for the Nike New England Soccer Classic(Cape Cod)? There is not much posted on their site. I'm particularly interested in U-13 girls....TIA

mathman
05-29-2007, 05:05 PM
I have read comments on this forum regarding our tournament this weekend.
(snip)

I always wait at least one week before running the results of a tournament, for exactly the reasons you gave. Having spent the first memorial day in 14 years at home, I can assure you that I appreciate the time that you all put in to running these tournaments.

05-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Needham results can be misleading because the quality of competition is generally mediocre. Lots of MAPLE D2 and teams from Maine. Vermont and lesser Conn. in the Premier Divisions. Add to that the fact that a lot of the fields are in pretty poor shape and Memorial Day rosters are notoriously "maleable" because of other commitments and it is hard to judge comparable quality, especially at the Under 14 and above ages.
Hey....there happens to be some very good teams in Maine, and VT and "lesser" CT....and from what you obviously consider the "lowly" D2, where, in fact may D2 teams can play equal or better to many D1 teams, guess you are from a MA D1 team, and believe that is IT.
And the fields were, across the board, in very good shape, at least for the older groups. Having been to PDA, Oakwood, Cape and Nashua, this tournament was run well and better than most. Cheers for the Needham staff and a great Holiday.

coachmarino
05-29-2007, 09:06 PM
I will echoe positive comments about Needham...

Quality of competition - I find that Needham is probably the strongest of the local tournaments with Bandit Cup maybe being the only potentially better tournament (going to be seriously divided once Stars gets theirs going).

Fields - Having been to two of the stronger tournaments on the East Coast this year (WAGS and Jeff Cup), I can say for certain that the fields at Needham were far superior overall. Both WAGS and Jeff Cup had their share of nice fields, but both were overrun with very poor fields. I can't really imagine playing on a better field than the field at Wellesley College, maybe the Polo Grounds in San Diego, but that's a different feel, not better. My team had it's three group games in Dedham at Nobles and these fields were in very good shape. DeFazio was in poor shape, and the finals were dust bowls, DeFazio 6 was really poor. But the ratio was certainly better than some of the so-called top tournaments.

Score Reporting - I was surprised to see the final day scores so wrong because the rest of the tournament was so good. I got the text message updates on my team's group and the club's other teams, and they were always prompt and correct. It was really cool. To my knowledge, only those final few scores of the last day had the mistakes.

The only thing I would have liked to have seen would have been better score reporting at the sites...they just told us to check the website...which I didn't have access to at the fields

The lack of a truly large tournament site with lots of fields was too bad, but this is so rare. We had 12 teams at the tournament, and I got to see games played by 10 of our teams. The fields were close enough that I saw 2 games Friday, 7 games on Saturday, 6 on Sunday, and 3 on Monday.

When we go to Jefferson Cup or WAGS, I rarely get to see the other teams play, the tournament is far more spread out!

The best part of the local tournament is seeing all of the people you know and catching up with folks you haven't seen since the last local tournament.

(So That's Coachmarino? He's not really a bad guy like he appears to be on the touchline!)

Overall positive at Needham...

05-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Needham:

Not affiliated with MPS or Maple as a matter of fact. My kids are in college. I have a very different opinion of the game and the BW girl never hit the ground, was a lousy call. The linesman I spoke with after the game agreed with me but its done, game is in the books and congrats to the Blackhawks.

Do you think that the fact that they were running nearly an hour behind schedule at that point could have perhaps influenced the making of the call? I was there as well, and agree with you that it was a terrible call.

05-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Overall Needham is a good tournament.I thought Defazio was better than it has been in the past.Was very disappointed in the field for semi-final game (Westwood middle school),to small,not flat,and net wasnt level.Not what you want to see for a semi in a premier flight.Reffing pretty good.

05-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Needham:

Do you think that the fact that they were running nearly an hour behind schedule at that point could have perhaps influenced the making of the call? I was there as well, and agree with you that it was a terrible call.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but it's funny how so many (experts on both sides) can see the same play differently from 60-70 feet away (or more) than the guy standing 10 feet away. How many of you (experts) took the course? I just love Monday (excuse me... Tuesday) morning quarterbacks. Isn't it time to move on to another topic (maybe something more positive)? The shelf life on this one has expired.

05-30-2007, 07:22 AM

Im sure it played into it to some degree. The refs worked very hard all weekend and Im sure had their fair share of abuse. Refs are human and will call what they see period, and no matter what the call, we ALWAYS hear something negative about it.

How many of you (experts) took the course?
Me actually, liscensed and everything.

Needham does a great job. There were some obvious instances where a few teams got blown out but the directors will seed based on the information provided to them by the coaches.

One coach was arguing about his teams performance and wanted his money back. Pulling his application: "Advanced Premier Team" & "Extremely Strong" Asking a few parents, they were basically a strong town team.

05-30-2007, 10:15 AM

Im sure it played into it to some degree. The refs worked very hard all weekend and Im sure had their fair share of abuse. Refs are human and will call what they see period, and no matter what the call, we ALWAYS hear something negative about it.

How many of you (experts) took the course?
Me actually, liscensed and everything.

Needham does a great job. There were some obvious instances where a few teams got blown out but the directors will seed based on the information provided to them by the coaches.

One coach was arguing about his teams performance and wanted his money back. Pulling his application: "Advanced Premier Team" & "Extremely Strong" Asking a few parents, they were basically a strong town team.

The refs have no stake in the game one way or another. For the most part, I thought the officiating was more than adequate at the games I watched. We've all witnessed worse.

Good luck to the coach requesting a refund. Most tournaments won’t refund when cancelled for rain. I don’t ever remember seeing a policy on “blowoutsâ€￾ and “mismatchesâ€￾. At least they got to play. How would he feel traveling to the Beltway only to find out games were cancelled as many of us have experienced. It goes with the territory.

teskicks
05-30-2007, 11:38 AM
I have read comments on this forum regarding our tournament this weekend.
(snip)

Wednesday morning has come and gone and there are still incorrect results on the website.

skinny maradona
05-30-2007, 11:39 AM
FYI.

Oakwood results are posted.

http://oakwoodsoccer.com/

Red99
05-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Seems like a nice mix of NE teams at Oakwood - was anyone there? What are the overall impressions of the tournament this year?

Some of brackets had lopsided scores, other ages were closer. I think that VSA team in the U15G bracket is actually a U14 team?

Once again, can't keep straight which CFC teams were playing... the Wolves are the A team?

skinny maradona
05-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Seems like a nice mix of NE teams at Oakwood - was anyone there? What are the overall impressions of the tournament this year?

Some of brackets had lopsided scores, other ages were closer. I think that VSA team in the U15G bracket is actually a U14 team?

Once again, can't keep straight which CFC teams were playing... the Wolves are the A team?

Was there for U15 games. Generally good well run tournament. Biggest problem is that the games are spread out across some many sites that it makes it difficult to see many other games.

Re: CFC

U15 and above CUFC are the top teams in each age group.
U14 and below either Wolves, Impact or Arsenal are the "A" teams. Wildcats and Gunners are the "B" teams. Which of the Wolves/Impact/Arsenal teams is the top rated team depends on the age group. U11, 12 and 13 it is the Wolves. U14 is the Impact.

FSM
05-30-2007, 03:09 PM

Was there for U15 games. Generally good well run tournament. Biggest problem is that the games are spread out across some many sites that it makes it difficult to see many other games.

U14 and below either Wolves, Impact or Arsenal are the "A" teams. Wildcats and Gunners are the "B" teams. Which of the Wolves/Impact/Arsenal teams is the top rated team depends on the age group. U11, 12 and 13 it is the Wolves. U14 is the Impact.

SM, what do you know of the CUFC Arsenal U14 team that competed in the Region 1 league? Was that an early formation of what normally takes place at U15?

Also, just my opinion, but there doesn't seem too much of a competitive difference between the Wolves and Impact at U14. Rather than an A and a B team, it seems more like an A and an A minus. ;)

skinny maradona
05-30-2007, 03:37 PM

SM, what do you know of the CUFC Arsenal U14 team that competed in the Region 1 league? Was that an early formation of what normally takes place at U15?

Also, just my opinion, but there doesn't seem too much of a competitive difference between the Wolves and Impact at U14. Rather than an A and a B team, it seems more like an A and an A minus. ;)

Arsenal teams can be confusing. CFC registers it teams through either Rocky Hill in the Central district of CJSA (Wolves/Wildcats/Impact) or through CT United in the Southwest District (Arsenal/Gunners and the CUFC teams).

Sometimes (especially on CJSA website for state cup) the Arsenal and Gunners teams are listed as CUFC even though they are CFC teams. CUFC is strictly U15 and up.

You are correct at U14 there is not much to choose between Wolves and Impact (previously known as the Comets just to confuse you some emore) but Impact probably just get the edge. They are both "A" teams just from different parts of the state. U15 tryouts will be fun to see what unfolds.

This is the same as MPS if I am correct. Do they not have multiple teams at the same age group both considered to be equal rather than A/B?

FSM
05-31-2007, 11:59 AM
Arsenal teams can be confusing. CFC registers it teams through either Rocky Hill in the Central district of CJSA (Wolves/Wildcats/Impact) or through CT United in the Southwest District (Arsenal/Gunners and the CUFC teams).

Sometimes (especially on CJSA website for state cup) the Arsenal and Gunners teams are listed as CUFC even though they are CFC teams. CUFC is strictly U15 and up.

You are correct at U14 there is not much to choose between Wolves and Impact (previously known as the Comets just to confuse you some emore) but Impact probably just get the edge. They are both "A" teams just from different parts of the state. U15 tryouts will be fun to see what unfolds.

This is the same as MPS if I am correct. Do they not have multiple teams at the same age group both considered to be equal rather than A/B?

I'm not convinced that the Arsenal team playing in Region 1 was not an early formed CUFC team. First it makes no sense that Impact and Wolves, the CT State Cup champion and finalist didn't play, but the third team, Arsenal was accepted by the league??? Then when you do a history of game scores (Impact, Wolves, Arsenal) Arsenal should never have been as competitive as they were. The scores IMO reflected some Wolves and Impact player influence.

MPS may be looking to develop a model similar to CFC, but I don't think they are quite there yet. The biggest issue for them is that there are a lot more clubs they have to compete against for players. What has happened in the past is players have done the SOEs and then bail out for MAPLE clubs at U11 because MAPLE plays 11 v 11, while MPS continued with SSGs.

BTW do you have any inside scoop on CFC expanding into Mass. for more than just clinics?

05-31-2007, 12:40 PM
What has happened in the past is players have done the SOEs and then bail out for MAPLE clubs at U11 because MAPLE plays 11 v 11, while MPS continued with SSGs.

Interesting twist on all the 'MPS didnt develop their teams ,etc ' in the other forum, they were busy developing everybody elses. If this is true then.....oh, nevermind.

:D

skinny maradona
05-31-2007, 01:30 PM
FSM,

I am just a parent so have no inside scoop on any of the goings on at CFC. Trust me it is just as hard to figure out being involved with the club. :) Only connection to MA that I am aware of is a joint summer camp with MPS in the summer.

The Arsenal branch tends to be even more separate than the northern branches. Lack of info (rosters, schedule, results) on the website being my biggest gripe. As far as I know no players from Wolves or Impact played with Arsenal in Region 1 league but it is definitely not a CUFC team. Next years CUFC team will probably be a merger of some Wolves with mostly Impact. I have kids involved at U11 and U15 so the 14's are not my area of expertise. Probably the biggest reason Arsenal went that way is that they are based in Fairfield so travel to NY and NJ is a lot less hassle for them than the northern based teams.

06-01-2007, 09:03 AM

Just back from Cape Cod Challenge, nice little tournament. Teams from near and far.

Sandwich High School has 3 lighted fields so we were able to go and watch a few games under the lights. Sandwich has some very strong players so they may be a force to reckon with in high school in a few years. Saw a very strong U13 girl playing in the middle. U14 had a strong midfielder as well as a good forward line.

Is that Sandwich SC boys team in Maple D1 their town team does anyone know? Looks like they did well in D2 but struggled this spring.

pitch420
06-01-2007, 09:18 AM

Is that Sandwich SC boys team in Maple D1 their town team does anyone know? Looks like they did well in D2 but struggled this spring.

I think you are right and I am fairly certain its the same team that lost in the finals at MTOC last year.

mathman
06-01-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm not convinced that the Arsenal team playing in Region 1 was not an early formed CUFC team. First it makes no sense that Impact and Wolves, the CT State Cup champion and finalist didn't play, but the third team, Arsenal was accepted by the league??? Then when you do a history of game scores (Impact, Wolves, Arsenal) Arsenal should never have been as competitive as they were. The scores IMO reflected some Wolves and Impact player influence.

Just FYI, their rating increased from 653 to 670 over the course of the Region I Premier season. That is, they did about as well as I would have expected them to do against the competition that was in the league.

I am surprised that they were accepted into the league, but not at all surprised at their performance.

06-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Was at Needham. Pretty well run. Fields are again all over the place so you don't get the total soccer sense. While watching a Girls Team we did watch a team from Brockton play. They were a U16 Boys team who were playing up in U18 to get experience in playing bigger and more physical players. We saw the third game they played. They played well could easily contend with a D1 Team in Maple. The team has played together according to a parent on the team since they were U8 mostly with the same core of kids an the same coaching staff. Asked why they don't play Club and the response was we don't need to. They play in Town Travel have been to the MTOC's twice. Most play HS but they train indoors and outdoors. The point I guess is this team is a competitive team that plays for the love of the game. They compete hard and enjoy the team members. Winning this tournament was in preparation for the MTOC's which the kids seemed to be very excited about. They played a total of 4 games including the final ==== the team gave up only one goal in four games and that goal was in the last three minutes of the final to a team from Rocky Hill, CT who were definetly on the older side of 18. The point is the discussions have been strong regarding Club versus MPS and cost is always so paramount. These kids will be probably the same as the majority of kids who play Club and MPS. Some will go to College and some will play and some won't. In the end it cost these parents 35.00 a season, 75.00 per indoors and 35.00 bucks for the tournament. They have only one uniform and that seems to be enough. In the end it's all about the game I guess

06-03-2007, 11:17 AM
I loved your post about the Brockton team. Reading through this blog about the Needham tournament really gives an indication of how the game has moved away from players and in the direction of parents. It is so very unfortunate that these parents with their strong opinions cannot simply sit back and enjoy the games for the sake of watching their players participate at such a high level in something they enjoy. Face it, the majority of these players will not be playing beyond high school and the players that do continue on in college will likely stop playing after that. And what then, where do these parents put all their misguided energies then !!! Oh wait a minute, those are the parents with college-aged children who are still showing up for tournaments and creating all sorts of controversy and adversity in areas that have nothing to do with them. If I may be so bold . . . "DUH !!!" (I love that quote - it's such a wonderful and intelligent comment to make - repeatedly I might add !!) I mean really, what else would a person with such a wide vocabulary want than to watch a game that has no bearing on their life and make comments on a soccer-talk website and ending the comments with DUH !!!

Good for those Brockton players. Just taking it stride by stride. Growing as players and as people. Somehow they're able to tune out the masses of screaming parents worried that the MPS vs. club controversy may actually influence their children's futures.

Get a grip. For every 'bad call' against one team, another 'bad call' is made against another team. Just the nature of the game. It is simply too bad that these parents are sucking the enjoyment out of this sport. Attempts to have us believe that these comments are made by people who 'don't have players on the MPS team' is really just a poor facade. Poor losers. Poor sports. Bad parenting. It all goes hand-in-hand.

06-03-2007, 11:19 AM
I loved your post about the Brockton team. Reading through this blog about the Needham tournament really gives an indication of how the game has moved away from players and in the direction of parents. It is so very unfortunate that these parents with their strong opinions cannot simply sit back and enjoy the games for the sake of watching their players participate at such a high level in something they enjoy. Face it, the majority of these players will not be playing beyond high school and the players that do continue on in college will likely stop playing after that. And what then, where do these parents put all their misguided energies then !!! Oh wait a minute, those are the parents with college-aged children who are still showing up for tournaments and creating all sorts of controversy and adversity in areas that have nothing to do with them. If I may be so bold . . . "DUH !!!" (I love that quote - it's such a wonderful and intelligent comment to make - repeatedly I might add !!) I mean really, what else would a person with such a wide vocabulary want than to watch a game that has no bearing on their life and make comments on a soccer-talk website and ending the comments with DUH !!!

Good for those Brockton players. Just taking it stride by stride. Growing as players and as people. Somehow they're able to tune out the masses of screaming parents worried that the MPS vs. club controversy may actually influence their children's futures.

Get a grip. For every 'bad call' against one team, another 'bad call' is made against another team. Just the nature of the game. It is simply too bad that these parents are sucking the enjoyment out of this sport. Attempts to have us believe that these comments are made by people who 'don't have players on one team or the other' is really just a poor facade. Poor losers. Poor sports. Bad parenting. It all goes hand-in-hand.

06-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Dear Amazed and Disgusted: I am amazed (but not really disgusted :P ) that you would take the time and energy to register, sign in, and offer a post to tell us all what self-involved parents with no lives we all are. If the shoe fits, I say. What are you doing reading this forum and if you are put off by the over-involvement of parents here, why not just laugh at us and tell your friends?

I presume that the use of the word "duh" was meant to be funny (at least the first time used!), certainly not intelligent - no one would claim that! Duh! :) If we all have to be at our most intelligent best everytime we post something, then most of us are probably way too old for that -- our most intelligent days are way behind us.

And why can't a non-MPS parent can offer an opinion about MPS (especially a general, this is what I've seen in the past from their coaches example --- in response to the question "do they teach sportsmanship there" where the answer is yes, here is what I have seen in the example of sportsmanship from coaches --- who after all are the teachers of sportsmanship within a club) without being accused of being an imposter spy planted by MPS parents everywhere?

"Get a grip." Hmm... where have I seen that very mature phrase recently?! Oh yes, from another completely neutral parent who is much more reasonable, mature (and a better parent because he/she just lets his/her kid play and never says a thing) than the rest of it (although apparently amazed and disgusted).

On one thing we can agree, the Brockton team described is an excellent example of all good things about soccer.

Now, since the Memorial Day tournament finished up a week ago, can we move on to more current news (state cup)? This old involved parent can't remember events from a week ago.

06-05-2007, 12:49 PM
The Cape Cod Challenge had over 175 teams playing this year from every New England state and New York. The majority of the fields are within 2 miles of each other. They needed to use a location further down cape this year (Yarmouth) to accomodate the growth in teams.

Sandwich is a very strong club - usually sending 5/6+ teams to MTOC on a yearly basis. However, once you get to High School the players tend to get divided between public and private schools and the team is watered down. We won't even touch on the lack/absence of support from the High School program.

The Sandwich u13 boys did make it to MAPLE D1 but seem to have found their level. They were competitive in their matches but the better team prevailed. The team is made up of the town team less 3 players. The "Very Strong" u13 girl you saw is on this MAPLE team plus a u12 Sandwich player and a goalie from neighboring Bourne.

As a parent, I'm very proud of the accomplishments of these Sandwich players. However, this will be last year of it. The coach has decided to open up the roster and start a new MAPLE club called "Cape Cod Reunited". (no joke!)

06-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Interesting.

So who owns the D2 spot then? Sandwich or the Reunited? Sounds like Reunited will have to start in Maple D.

Is that girl an ODP player by chance?

06-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Interesting.

So who owns the D2 spot then? Sandwich or the Reunited? Sounds like Reunited will have to start in Maple D.

Not sure what the ruling is in regards to holding the spot - I think if most of the players are the same they can hold onto it. I'm sure there has been a precedent set with teams changing names.

I do believe that girl plays ODP.

06-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Interesting.

Not sure what the ruling is in regards to holding the spot - I think if most of the players are the same they can hold onto it. I'm sure there has been a precedent set with teams changing names.

I do believe that girl plays ODP.

The 'club', in this case Sandwich Soccer Club, owns the spot and it would seem that Cape Cod Reunited has never played in Maple so therefore may have to start in Maple D. Not 100% sure on that though.

Thanks, it is the same player I was thinking of.

05-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Blackwatch u12 girls brought home the gold, baby. They played FC Delco in the finals. Came out with a win under their belt.

05-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Blackwatch u12 girls brought home the gold, baby. They played FC Delco in the finals. Came out with a win under their belt.
I hope that you took little Mia out for an ice cream after. She'll probably remeber that more, long after the game was over.

05-31-2008, 02:25 PM
What are you saying?

05-31-2008, 03:59 PM
What are you saying?
That you sound like a moron.