Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's May 24 - the Maple Season is Over

And this is perhaps the biggest problem with MAPLE in my opinion.

The weather has improved, the fields are green, but they will be empty for the month of June. This has never made any sense to me.

There are 8 teams in each age group alive in state cup. After the first weekend in June the number will be reduced by 4. By Mid June there will be only one survivor.

Look we live in New England, outdoor soccer prior to April is out of the question (and is a dicey proposition during April). The majority of Club Programs will be shutting it down after a Memorial Day tournement.

Is there a simple way to extend the MAPLE season into June. The Players, coaches fields and refs would all seem to be available, but the league isn't.

Re: It's May 24 - the Maple Season is Over

Originally posted by Dad&Driver
    And this is perhaps the biggest problem with MAPLE in my opinion.

The weather has improved, the fields are green, but they will be empty for the month of June. This has never made any sense to me.

There are 8 teams in each age group alive in state cup. After the first weekend in June the number will be reduced by 4. By Mid June there will be only one survivor.

Look we live in New England, outdoor soccer prior to April is out of the question (and is a dicey proposition during April). The majority of Club Programs will be shutting it down after a Memorial Day tournement.

Is there a simple way to extend the MAPLE season into June. The Players, coaches fields and refs would all seem to be available, but the league isn't.
    Start your own summer league.

Comment

There are many leagues in Florida and a good chunk of them are started by team managers and parents and are sanctioned by FYSA. Actually all the top state wide leagues are done that way.

Comment

"Summer" leagues are an entirely different animal.

I'm really wondering about June. The month with the best weather. No one has taken off for vacation yet. Camp season hasn't kicked in.

Comment

I'm really wondering about June. The month with the best weather. No one has taken off for vacation yet. Camp season hasn't kicked in.
          The first weekend of June is The State Cup Round Robin. The second weekend are Town quarter finals amd Maple Promotion Relagation games. Third weekend are State Cup Semis and finals. Last week are Regionals. Then we get to go on vacation (oh... and don't forget at least two or three summer tournaments, ODP, District games... and on, and on....) Yea!

Who said there was no soccer in June?

Comment

I agree completely with Dad & Driver. The Maple season is RIDICULOUSLY SHORT!!! Other states do their state cup at completely different times. And most states do not have anywhere near the number of teams MA has in state cups. It is the state cup that limits the Maple season, not play-ups/qualifiers. There is no other reason the season cannot continue well into June...and it should. A summer league is not the answer, there are many opportunites now to continue play into summer, but it was not D&D's point. When you are in the older groups their is no fall season, and so you train, and pay and plan for barely over a month and a half of Divisional competition. Come on....look at any number of other states, from little RI to CA who does their state cup in March/April yeah/yeah...the weather allows it, but it is not unreasonable to get it done the first few weeks. At the very least I do not see why the Maple season couldn't be 9 or 10 games...that would be an improvement. This has looonnnggg been a pet peeve of mind and many, many, many others share this sentiment.....how about a poll??? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
              I agree completely with Dad & Driver. The Maple season is RIDICULOUSLY SHORT!!! Other states do their state cup at completely different times. And most states do not have anywhere near the number of teams MA has in state cups. It is the state cup that limits the Maple season, not play-ups/qualifiers. There is no other reason the season cannot continue well into June...and it should. A summer league is not the answer, there are many opportunites now to continue play into summer, but it was not D&D's point. When you are in the older groups their is no fall season, and so you train, and pay and plan for barely over a month and a half of Divisional competition. Come on....look at any number of other states, from little RI to CA who does their state cup in March/April yeah/yeah...the weather allows it, but it is not unreasonable to get it done the first few weeks. At the very least I do not see why the Maple season couldn't be 9 or 10 games...that would be an improvement. This has looonnnggg been a pet peeve of mind and many, many, many others share this sentiment.....how about a poll??? ;)
              I can remember rain and snow in March. How many tournaments were cancelled? March is too unpredictable. Can you imagine the havoc? How many make ups were there in April & May? Maybe a few hard core clubs can field a full squad in the summer, but the majority of families want some down time.

As for the “payâ€￾ issue, many clubs offer the older teams additional tournaments (or reduced rates) and train all winter like the younger teams do. Money should not be the issue. The cost for one season of Maple is the same as a decent tournament (or two) somewhere else. No one is getting short changed. And doesn't all that training make these kids better HS players?

What I find most interesting is that none of my kids who play club (3 of them ages 11-18) have ever complained that the season is too long or too short. This is because they never stop playing except for those precious few weeks in the summer. It's the parents that always bring up the issue. Let them enjoy thier childhood before it's gone.

Like another poster said elsewhere, if you don’t like the current system, start your own league (or move to one of those other states).

Comment

In this state like or not club soccer in MA revolves around the State Cup. MAPLE was formed for the single purpose of providing a league for club teams to qualify for State Cup. I would really like to see the cup go back to a single elimination format like many states. The season then could extended season with 10-12 plus games through June. This would be far better for development than current season of seven games. Another reason why the state sticks with format first and foremost is money, MA cup entry fees are amongst the highest if not the highest in the country ($460 Per Team for U13, U14; $510 per team for U15-U19) . the format I believe entices far more teams than a single elimination would. This is a big revenue source and money maker for the state just like ODP. I will stop as I am off topic.

Comment

Why the big hang up on extending league play? Play in a league and the teams you play are mandated by the league. If you want more games schedule some friendlies.
                  In my opinion you guys up north having leagues for U10 and U11 are crazy. At that age it should be 100% friendlies, carefully chosen to expedite the development of the players and the team. Throw in a local tournament for some team bonding.

Comment

Originally posted by skinny maradona
                    Why the big hang up on extending league play? Play in a league and the teams you play are mandated by the league. If you want more games schedule some friendlies.
                    In my opinion you guys up north having leagues for U10 and U11 are crazy. At that age it should be 100% friendlies, carefully chosen to expedite the development of the players and the team. Throw in a local tournament for some team bonding.
                    Well put SM. Development and friendlies are the way to go.The only problem is that most of the kids are being steered toward the competitive teams and there is not much left to have friendlies. It stunts development but the parents can say they have a club player. There are some 90 teams in Maple meaning that nearly all the kids in the state can compete in premier soccer. How premier can it be at that point?

Comment

Maybe the time has come to eliminate the "premier" label and just call it what it is. Club soccer. MACLE is not such a pretty acronym though. But even that can be misleading as some "clubs" are nothing more than a shared mailing address for you to mail your check to.
                      At the end of the day league organizations provide a convenient way for like minded teams of similar abilty to schedule games against each other. Some leagues have residency restrictions, some don't. Some have single year age restrictions, some don't. The one that provides the most attractive product (not necessarily the best) will draw the most teams.

Comment

The first weekend of June is The State Cup Round Robin. The second weekend are Town quarter finals amd Maple Promotion Relagation games. Third weekend are State Cup Semis and finals. Last week are Regionals. Then we get to go on vacation (oh... and don't forget at least two or three summer tournaments, ODP, District games... and on, and on....) Yea!

I don't think I'm making my point as well as I could.

There are 24 teams in each MAPLE age group (abouve U12). There are 8 teams in each group alive this weekend and 4 after this weekend. Right now 2/3 (at least) of the MAPLE teams in each age group are done. Next week 84% of them will be done.

It seems to me at least 3-4 more weeks of play could be worked out. friendlies are a decent idea but I've never heard of it happening, perhaps some of the coaches who post could fill me in on why not.

I tend to agree with the earlier comment that Summer is the right time to take a break. My son has been playing/training since August of last year between Club and HS.

For the record his team will be going to Amherst this weekend. My observation is a general one.

Comment

[quote=Dad&Driver]
                          Originally posted by "Dad&Driver":1dnojv7d

There are 24 teams in each MAPLE age group (abouve U12). There are 8 teams in each group alive this weekend and 4 after this weekend. Right now 2/3 (at least) of the MAPLE teams in each age group are done. Next week 84% of them will be done.

It seems to me at least 3-4 more weeks of play could be worked out. friendlies are a decent idea but I've never heard of it happening, perhaps some of the coaches who post could fill me in on why not.

I tend to agree with the earlier comment that Summer is the right time to take a break. My son has been playing/training since August of last year between Club and HS.

For the record his team will be going to Amherst this weekend. My observation is a general one.[/quote:1dnojv7d]

This is supposed to be a forum of opinions and ideas. You are entitled to voice yours.

From our perspective, after a long winter and spring (we will be at Amherst as well… good luck to all) we feel the need to give our teams a break. We’ll get them together for a few summer tournaments (one or two in July and one prior to fall season). Kids need time to be kids too. We feel scheduling non essential friendly’s run the risk of injury. These kids need some down time to heal.

Comment

[quote=Anonymous]
                            Originally posted by "Dad&Driver":3i6taxvu

For the record his team will be going to Amherst this weekend. My observation is a general one.
                            This is supposed to be a forum of opinions and ideas. You are entitled to voice yours.

From our perspective, after a long winter and spring (we will be at Amherst as well… good luck to all) we feel the need to give our teams a break. We’ll get them together for a few summer tournaments (one or two in July and one prior to fall season). Kids need time to be kids too. We feel scheduling non essential friendly’s run the risk of injury. These kids need some down time to heal.[/quote:3i6taxvu]

I agree the kids need downtime to heal but I have to agree with Dad and Driver that we seem to have picked the wrong time of the year. We attempt to stuff games into April, does anyone remember an April yet where there was not postponement after postponement? The 8 week season gets compressed into 5 or 6 weeks, which is the WORST thing for the kids. I think a nice healing break around march-april and playing into June would be much healthier

Comment

You can give them as much rest time you want from club soccer but you are forgetting some are playing Districts, some are going to Camps, HS's are starting their summer leagues late June early July. Some HS's are even having their captains practices start in late June while most start in July.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X