Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memorial Day Tournaments Doomed

I've heard and checked out the predicted weather for next weekend. Not looking too pretty at all. Pretty much rain from Maine to VA for the entire weekend. Wonder what the damage will be for cancellations and wasted money this time around. Hopefully the weather forecasters do their normal great jobs and get this wrong again.
    Hey ref whats the call?
    Your missing a good game ref!
    Handball!
    Call it both ways!
    Oh, that was a foul!
    Are you kidding me?
    She was offsides ref!
    What are you blind?
    Hey ref, you wanna borrow my glasses?

Re: Memorial Day Tournaments Doomed

Originally posted by TheStatsGuy
    I've heard and checked out the predicted weather for next weekend. Not looking too pretty at all. Pretty much rain from Maine to VA for the entire weekend. Wonder what the damage will be for cancellations and wasted money this time around. Hopefully the weather forecasters do their normal great jobs and get this wrong again.
    It's NE. I'm sure that if you wait a minute, it will change.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
      Speaking of this:

Who has responsibility of checking out to see if fields are playable for Maple games?

Instance yesterday where a team travelled to south shore from north shore only to find the field unplayable. Ref on the scene called it. Should the field contact made a trip out to check things out that morning especially since the field was closed for Saturday play?
      Light travels faster than sound; this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Comment

I just watched the local weather...weather was clear through Saturday. No?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Marks
          I just watched the local weather...weather was clear through Saturday. No?
          Not down on the south shore. Rained off and on and finally cleared up late yesterday.

The north shore team was rightly very very upset. May not be a 100% right answer on this but.

Do you, Fred, travel to 'your' fields or have someone do that if there is a possibility of unplayable conditions, just curious. I know there's some language in the by-laws but doesnt seem definative. At least how I read it.
          Light travels faster than sound; this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Comment

I meant the weather for the next 5-6 days looked to be clear...

We do check our fields early and alert opposing teams (and the league) early enough to save them a trip if games wont be played. We have had trouble 1-2 times when field owners closed them late.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Marks
              I meant the weather for the next 5-6 days looked to be clear...

We do check our fields early and alert opposing teams (and the league) early enough to save them a trip if games wont be played. We have had trouble 1-2 times when field owners closed them late.
              Sorry, misunderstood you. Correct, nice and warming thru Friday.

Your process is common sense but didnt happen in this case (it wasnt a scorpion match, another club)

Thanks Fred!

Comment

Originally posted by pitch420
                Originally posted by Anonymous
                Speaking of this:

Who has responsibility of checking out to see if fields are playable for Maple games?

Instance yesterday where a team travelled to south shore from north shore only to find the field unplayable. Ref on the scene called it. Should the field contact made a trip out to check things out that morning especially since the field was closed for Saturday play?
                Is it possible they did check the field and the Ref had a different opinion?

Comment

field closure

Up until 10 a.m. game day, the HOME team, or field 'owner/manager', can declare a field closed. pretty clear. AFTER 10 a.m., only the referee can make the decision. (I think the time is 8 a.m. for u-10)

once closed, it is again responsibility of home club to notify all.

If I am the coach, I am going to contact opposing coach perhaps an hour before my team needs to leave to get status.

If I am the referee, I will simply judge if the field and weather overall is safe.
                  If I think that it is, we play. If I think that it is not, we don't, without regard for how far anyone drove.

looking at the above scenerio, home contact visits field at 10 a.m. and it is at that point safe and weather is not meant to be horrible so field is not closed. next possible time for closure is when all are at the field and the referee makes his/her decision.

feel bad for the team that made the trip, but it is part of playing soccer. have made the long drive only to be cancelled by the ref. have made same drive only to have game cancelled because the ref never showed up. made ANOTHER shorter drive to find that the home team had postponed the game, but forgot to tell me OR the referees. showed up with my team super bowl sunday at kick off time for an indoor game, other team had forfeited but managers of the facility forgot to tell my team. everyone has many stories, but is simply the way things go and maple does it's best to mitigate problems with their virtually absolute 'no rescheduling' and the postponement policy.
                  ront

Comment

Yes,

Like the poster said wait ten minutes it will change!!! As of Sunday when I posted the weather channel's site had those massive storm fronts in the West hitting the entire east coast Friday and not leaving until late Sunday. Now the maps say it will be clear for the whole weekend. Who knows really. I guess we'll find out Saturday morning at the fields. I can't wait for a great weekend of soccer down at PDA. Still the best tourney around for this weekend in my mind.
                    Hey ref whats the call?
                    Your missing a good game ref!
                    Handball!
                    Call it both ways!
                    Oh, that was a foul!
                    Are you kidding me?
                    She was offsides ref!
                    What are you blind?
                    Hey ref, you wanna borrow my glasses?

Comment

Beware of the Chamber of Commerce Forecasts :)

Read the weather maps and make your best guess. Too much money at stake to forecast a wet weekend. In any case we have the BBQ planned and a dry location to wait between games.

Comment

Originally posted by Soccer Fan
                        Is it possible they did check the field and the Ref had a different opinion?
                        No actually. Field contact said it wasnt his call to make.

Comment

So many Memorial Day tournaments. How do you choose? Who runs the best? Please help!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X