PDA

View Full Version : touchline refugees

mathman
05-16-2007, 05:58 AM
It seems to work just like touchline....

pitch420
05-16-2007, 07:32 AM
It seems to work just like touchline....

Nice find. Same look and feel.

Susy Soccer
05-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Maybe everyone can post as they register?

05-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Let the migration begin

Nutsforsoccer
05-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Hello All

chilipepper
05-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Ok,
This site is great, thanks Mathman. I don't post often, but touchline has long been a great source of information and entertainment. This looks like the best alternative

bsoccer
05-16-2007, 09:35 AM
I am a Touchline refugee and have migrated.

FSM
05-16-2007, 10:31 AM
I like the emoticons better than those on the old Touchline. :D But one thing that is missing is the edit function. :( I wonder if that can be added. :?: And I just realized there are a whole lot more emoticons! :smt023
Can we make a rule that giving the finger emoticon is off limit?
:RTR:

Admin
05-16-2007, 10:46 AM
I like the emoticons better than those on the old Touchline. :D But one thing that is missing is the edit function. :( I wonder if that can be added. :?: And I just realized there are a whole lot more emoticons! :smt023
Can we make a rule that giving the finger emoticon is off limit?
:RTR:

You should have an "Edit" button if you post as a registered user.

Admin
05-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Welcome to the Massachusetts Board!

Just a quick question for those that are here, what is the "Touchline" you are referring to? Is it another message board that you used in Mass.?

Welcome once again!

Nutsforsoccer
05-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Welcome to the Massachusetts Board!

Just a quick question for those that are here, what is the "Touchline" you are referring to? Is it another message board that you used in Mass.?

Welcome once again!

Touchline was a message board attached to the MAPLE league website. MAPLE has decided to drop that function starting Friday 5/18.

So this looks like a good place for us to migrate to.

Thank you.

Admin
05-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Thanks, I figured it was another message board, but wasn't aware of it.

The majority of the Moderator staff is based out of Florida since the majority of the traffic is posted from there. If more people start posting from Mass., then we will need a moderator from that area that knows about Mass Soccer. So if any of you early adopters are interested, please drop me a line.

If you have any other problems, feel free to send me an email or PM as well.

pitch420
05-16-2007, 12:14 PM
we will need a moderator from that area that knows about Mass Soccer. So if any of you early adopters are interested, please drop me a line.

Kind of like King Arthur drawing Excalibur from the stone...what power! :D

05-16-2007, 12:26 PM
or putting the fox in charge of the hen house!

pitch420
05-16-2007, 12:35 PM
or putting the fox in charge of the hen house!

http://forums.superiorpics.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sp_sign0173.gif

Admin
05-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Now, now...The moderator job isn't really that powerful. They are limited to editing and deleting only. All their actions are logged and reviewed by the Administrators and I can reverse anything that happens. Once we feel we can trust a moderator and they are being fair and following the rules, I can upgrade their status to a higher level (ie: issue bans and etc.). But until then, they are like safety patrols in school :)

OffsideTrap
05-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Looks and feels like the "original". Good job mathman on finding the site

pitch420
05-17-2007, 07:50 AM
Now, now...The moderator job isn't really that powerful. They are limited to editing and deleting only. All their actions are logged and reviewed by the Administrators and I can reverse anything that happens. Once we feel we can trust a moderator and they are being fair and following the rules, I can upgrade their status to a higher level (ie: issue bans and etc.). But until then, they are like safety patrols in school :)

This is where we came from

http://board2.maplesoccer.com/

05-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Made the migration

Blue Devil
05-17-2007, 01:26 PM
It will be interesting to see how many forum users make their way to this forum

MASC
05-17-2007, 04:56 PM
It's the same software - PHPBB - with a reasonable number of mods (added functions), a modified theme (look and feel), administrators and moderators.

Thank you for letting us become part of the board and community.

mathman
05-17-2007, 05:22 PM

This is where we came from

http://board2.maplesoccer.com/

And we come in peace. We want only your women and your shiny minerals.

Oh, yes, and all your water.

Falcon85
05-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Joining from touchline... thanks Mathman!

Soccer Fan
05-17-2007, 09:20 PM
A new home, it looks comfy....

05-17-2007, 09:36 PM
i'm in..... just got to make sure my kids don't delete from my favorite list, or i'll never find it again.!!!!!!!

Ronbo
05-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Landed safely.

05-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Not a bad option

Hammer
05-18-2007, 07:06 AM
Pretty much the same as the touch line

Admin
05-18-2007, 08:25 AM
It's the same software - PHPBB - with a reasonable number of mods (added functions), a modified theme (look and feel), administrators and moderators.

Thank you for letting us become part of the board and community.

No problem at all. Thanks for finding us and spreading the word.

Welcome once again to all the new users from Mass!

If you guys need anything at all or have any issues, please feel free to contact myself (Admin) or (thebes20) who are the 2 Administrators or any of our other moderators and we will be glad to help.

sir alex
05-18-2007, 08:50 AM
i'm in... great site.

05-18-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm also in...glad there is another site to keep in touch with everyone.

05-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Looks familiar.

MASoccer
05-18-2007, 03:14 PM

Please, please as long as Mr. Stats doesn't post!! Only kidding.. :laughinghard:

mathman
05-18-2007, 04:19 PM

Please, please as long as Mr. Stats doesn't post!! Only kidding.. :laughinghard:

I've actually been wondering what happened to him. He hasn't posted anything for about a month, I think. Anybody know?

Susy Soccer
05-18-2007, 04:48 PM
I was wondering too and I checked Mr. Stats' blog earlier this week to see if there was a sign off. The date was April 8 and there was white text behind the normal text - kind of freaky - you know like playing a record backwards to hear the messages from the devil (Yes I just aged myself horribly.)

I kind of wondered if he was ill- I remember that at one stage he was having trouble sleeping.

Edit- Ooops just decided to respond to his blog and found it locked. Obviously I missed something along the way.

05-18-2007, 05:18 PM
has followed over here as well.

thanks.

onthree
05-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Second attempt to say hello. Hello?

onthree
05-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Oh! Hello.

Blue Devil
05-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Susy,

I hadn't gone to the touchline for a while and hadn't read Stats for a while but you intrigued me with your description of Mr. Stats last post. So I went back and read it. You are right - it is weird stuff with hidden clues - many links - words hidden in the background etc.

I was able to copy it - but with the topic locked - I unfortunately lost all of the formatting and links. For any Mr. Stats fans his swan song on the touchline is posted below. If you can decode it; you are a better code buster than I.

Perhaps he is resting with DB Cooper; Jimmy Hoffa, and Whitey Bulger. If anyone hears of him it would be nice know if he made it or drove himself to madness ala J. D. Salinger. Will we ever find out his fate??

Mr Stats last entry April 8 2007 4:53 PM

“David Beckhamâ„¢ has been named Britain’s best-dressed man ever in yet another ’best of’ poll, this time by men’s style magazine GQ.... Davidâ„¢ has been awarded this honour by mens mag GQ, who said that he is ‘not only the most famous man in Britain, not just one of the nicest, but also the most stylish.’ Ahh, bless ’em. The poll was apparently carried out by ‘500 celeb rities, journalists and opinion formers, as well as the staff of GQ.’ Just below David Beckhamâ„¢, style guru, was wartime leader Winston Churchill. Poor old Tony Blair was voted worst dressed man.â€￾

Beckham’s book award -- April 2004
Bach - Cello Suite No.5 v-Gavotte | Wizard of Oz (Baum) --- Part 23 of 24 |
“David Beckham™’s autobiography has taken an award for ’selling quickly’.

“A special award was created ’Fastest selling biography of all time’ just to honour Beckhamâ„¢, who didn’t even write the book himself! My Side was actually ghost written by Tom Watts who played Lofty in Eastenders in the 80s. The footballer accepted his award via a video message as, unsurprisingly he wasn’t available for public appearances at the time. Still, he’ll have plenty of material for a new book soon.â€￾

Revealed: The fifth most popular Spaniard. -- October 2003
Bach - Cello Suite No.5 vi-Gigue | Wizard of Oz (Baum) --- Part 24 of 24 |
“Hmm lets see - the obvious person to vote for in a ’Most Popular Spanish Person’ poll would have to be David Beckham™ surely.

“David Beckham™ must be a bit of a chameleon - first he is a black icon according to Channel Four doc ’Black like Beckham’ screened earlier this year, and now we hear that in a Spanish poll David™ was voted the country’s fifth most popular Spaniard, just under the Spanish PM Jose Maria Aznar.

“Can it be David Beckhamâ„¢ is so popular that every country and culture wants a piece of him? What can be next in this strange saga -actually don’t tell me - Davidâ„¢ is actually a les bian. It’s got to be huh?â€￾

D’oh! -- August 2003
Bach - Cello Suite No.6 i-Prelude |
It turns out David Beckhamâ„¢ is famous enough for The Simpsons after all....

The creators of The Simpsons were thinking about putting David™ in as a cameo role, but turned him down for not being famous enough. But after Posh™ and Becks™ turned up in New York being all glitzy and holding hands with supermodels (Posh™ only, we don’t want to start any rumours whatsoever!), it seems they have changed their minds.
I Want to Hold your Hand (Beatles) in German
Davidâ„¢ will now appear in the show at some point next year.
She Loves You (Beatles in German)

Becks gets his kicks -- July 2003
Bach - Cello Suite No.6 ii-Allemande |
“Soccer star David Beckham™ has reportedly splashed out £1000 on a pair of jewel-encrusted whips for him and Victoria™. *

“One of the whips is reported to have a black leather handle inlaid with hundreds of tiny rose-coloured crystals and comes with a gold chain. The other is chocolate brown with clear crystals.

“The Real Madrid star also bought se xy lingerie set for Victoriaâ„¢ after spending an hour at the upmarket lingerie shop Agent Provocateur.â€￾

[* Mr. Stats comment: Who knew that Victoriaâ„¢ and David Beckhamâ„¢ were such big fans of [Westerns? Who knew? Who knew?]
Gunsmoke Theme and High Noon Theme

Is it [be]cause I [am] black? -- March 2003
Bach - Cello Suite No.6 iii-Courante |
“David Beckham™ has been named Britain’s most famous black man by a Channel Four documentary.

“The documentary is called ’Black Like Beckham’ and says that his ‘bling bling’ taste in clothes, cars and music as evidence that he is black in all but looks. In fact he apparently is the British black community’s greatest icon.
Black is Black (Los Lobos) 1966 and 2004
“A Channel 4 spokeswoman said: ‘The programme sets out to prove that Beckham™ is Britain’s most famous black man. He may really be white but he has borrowed and begged so much from black culture that he should be considered black.’" The Hustle/Shake Your Booty (The Brady Bunch) | Time to Change (The Brady Bunch) Facts of Life Theme

Beckham is left in the shade -- January 2003
Bach - Cello Suite No.6 iv-Bourree | Not available
“David Beckham™ has lost a £1 million deal to promote Police sunglasses to Hollywood bomb George Clooney.

“It seems the England skipper wanted a considerable pay increase to continue representing the shades in the UK and Japan [Mr. Stats inline comment: Even multi-millionaires need to eat, after all. I wonder if David Beckham™ started learning old Joe Hill labor songs.] Police decide his se xy image could equally be replaced by the more mature and some would say se xier George Clooney.

“A Police spokesperson said ‘George has a much bigger world profile and appeal than David™. We are delighted he will be the face of Police in the UK and Japan as well,’

“The fashion-savvy footballer, who earns £80,000-a-week at Man U, still has lucrative deals with Adidas, Vodaphone, Marks & Spencer and Japanese make-up giant TBC.â€￾
Deals?

David Beckham immortalised in chocolate -- December 2002
Bach - Cello Suite No.6 v-Gavotte |
“A 10 foot chocolate statue of David Beckham™ is on display at a busy intersection of the fashionable Shibuya shopping district in downtown Tokyo, Japan.
World's largest chocolate bar --- 2.67 tons
"A Japanese chocolate company has unveiled the statue for one of their chocolate campaigns.

"The statue is made of several thousand chocolate bars, protected in a glass case and guarded by at least two permanent security officers, in case anyone fancy’s a nibble or a little suc k!! “

Nation in shock over Beckham – April 2002
Bach - Cello Suite No.6 vi-Gigue |
“England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson’s worst case scenario came true on Wednesday 10 April when captain David Beckhamâ„¢ suffered a broken bone in his foot that threatens to exclude him from the World Cup. Just 50 days before the start of the tournament in South Korea and Japan, the Swede could only watch in horror from the stands as Beckhamâ„¢ hobbled off the field after only 16 minutes of Manchester United’s Champions League game against Deportivo Coruna….â€￾
Theme from Coach
The thing that differentiates man from animals is money. --- Gertrude Stein

I've been rich and I've been poor. It's better to be rich. --- Gertrude Stein

I do want to get rich but I never want to do what there is to do to get rich. --- Gertrude Stein

[Mr. Stats final comment: Follow the money --- Follow the money.]Quote:
Beckham, the virus
Beckhamâ„¢, the soccer failure
David Beckham, in other words, is a superbrand.
David Beckhamâ„¢ is a once-serviceable midfielder whose major soccer talent remains some ability to place
Off the soccer field Becks is able to use clothes and accessories to draw attention to himself….
free kicks. He never was much of a defender and now he has lost a step or three.
As Becks tells us himself: "I'm not scared of my feminine side and I think quite a lot of the things
Three different coaches (Ferguson, McClaren, and Capello) have essentially given up on him for club and country.
I do come from that side of my character. People have pointed that out as if it's a criticism,
Ferguson explained in 2003 that Manchester United was better off with Cristiano Ronaldo taking on
but it doesn't bother me."
Beckham™’s leadership role and position. He was right….The England National Team has been in a rut for years.
…Becks is the poster boy of what I have termed elsewhere metrose xuality. His hero/role-model
David Beckham™’s scoring has dropped in half since he joined Real Madrid. He has just 13 goals in 4 years of La Liga play.
status combined with his out-of-the-closet narcissism and love of shopping and fashion… means that
Real Madrid used to win league and European Championships before Beckhamâ„¢ arrived. The team is in a four
for corporations he is a pricelessly potent vector for persuading millions, if not billions, of young
year dry spell with no trophies. This is a shocking failure level.
men around the world to express themselves "fearlessly," to be "individuals" – by wearing
As of Easter Sunday, Real Madrid is 14-3-3 in games when Beckhamâ„¢ has not played or played mop up minutes.
exactly what he wears. Beckham is the über-metrose xual, not just because he rams metrose xuality
That rate would lead La Liga by 9 or 10 points. The team is only 2-4-3 in games when Beckhamâ„¢ has started or
down the throats of those men churlish enough to remain retrose xual and refuse to pluck their
has played major minutes. That rate is near relegation --- truly terrible. He has cost the team 11 points and first place.
eyebrows, but also because he is a sportsman, a man of substance – a "real" man -- who wishes to
Two of Beckham™’s three goals this year in La Liga have come against the last place team. Two goals were on free kicks
disappear into surfaceness in order to become ubiquitous -- to become media.
that the press noted were misplayed by the goalkeepers. The third came on a 3 on 0 breakaway against that last
The metrose xual revolution is not so much an uprising as it is a more efficient way to sell expensive
place team. In only one game did Beckhamâ„¢ deliver the deciding goal of assist. Of course, the press ballyhooed
face creams, allowing marketers to trade on good, old-fashioned insecurity (a method that has been
that one success to the heavens. Beckham™’s one assist came when Cassano evidently handled Beckham™’s
successfully imposed on women for decades). Men with disposable incomes who like to shop, it seems,
pass before slotting it into the net. For these failures, David Beckhamâ„¢ now will earn $50 million a year
are this year’s black.
and will continue to demand that Adidas supply him each game with a brand new pair of its 723 pairs of customized boots

that cost almost $1,200 a pair.

Also, see this and this and this and even Business Week ---Take the Business Week quiz --- I scored Dad-27. No $50 million for me!
Cele brity-mad and soccer clueless-America deserves David Beckhamâ„¢.
I like a thing simple but it must be simple through complication. Everything must come into your scheme, otherwise you cannot achieve real simplicity. --- Gertrude Stein
I hope that this simplification helps.

Regards, so long, and thanks for all the fish!
Mr. Stats
Another Prufrock End

I like a thing simple but it must be simple through complication. Everything must come into your scheme, otherwise you cannot achieve real simplicity. --- Gertrude Stein

Susy Soccer
05-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Bipolar or brilliant or completely mad - not sure which. I'm just not bright enough to figure it all out.

Here's hoping you're okay Mr. Stats!

05-18-2007, 08:19 PM
I was wondering too and I checked Mr. Stats' blog earlier this week to see if there was a sign off. The date was April 8 and there was white text behind the normal text - kind of freaky - you know like playing a record backwards to hear the messages from the devil (Yes I just aged myself horribly.)

I kind of wondered if he was ill- I remember that at one stage he was having trouble sleeping.

Edit- Ooops just decided to respond to his blog and found it locked. Obviously I missed something along the way.

Where's his blog??

05-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Mr. Stats
Another Prufrock End
Here are three clues to help find out what happened to MrStats:

1) The odd lines are bad links.
2) (Knowing MrStats, I added the bold to the key lines)
So long and thanks for all the fish
So sad that it should come to this
We tried to warn you all but oh dear?

You may not share our intellect
Which might explain your disrespect
For all the natural wonders that
grow around you

So long, so long and thanks
for all the fish

The world's about to be destroyed
There's no point getting all annoyed
Lie back and let the planet disssolve

Despite those nets of tuna fleets
We thought that most of you were sweet
Especially tiny tots and your
pregnant women

So long, so long, so long, so long, so long

for all the fish

(yeah)

(oh dear)

pregnant women

for all the fish

3) Now an audio clue
Click Here (http://www.booksonmp3.com/Material/Poetry/Eliot,TSPrufrock.mp3)

Blue Devil
05-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Where's his blog??

here but go quickly if you want to see it as the board it is on will be shut down shut down shortly

http://board2.maplesoccer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1184

Blue Devil
05-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Mr. Stats
Another Prufrock End
Here are three clues to help find out what happened to MrStats:

1) The odd lines are bad links.
2) (Knowing MrStats, I added the bold to the key lines)

You may not share our intellect
Which might explain your disrespect
For all the natural wonders that
grow around you

for all the fish

The world's about to be destroyed
There's no point getting all annoyed
Lie back and let the planet disssolve

pregnant women

for all the fish

(yeah)

(oh dear)

pregnant women

for all the fish

3) Now an audio clue
Click Here (http://www.booksonmp3.com/Material/Poetry/Eliot,TSPrufrock.mp3)

I recognize the pomposity - you can't hide behind the cloak of anonymity - the above poster is Mr Stats

Susy Soccer
05-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Welcome back!

05-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Now this is fascinating. I'm a long time listener and first time caller. I lost interest in the Mr Stats thread months ago thinking it was all a little too obsessive/compulsive and maybe evern more unhinged. It would appear to have been more so than I realized.

Susy Soccer
05-18-2007, 09:14 PM
One can just imagine the tortured genius typing away in a frenzy during in his manic phase. That was one long manic phase - I can't imagine the depths of the depression that followed.

Good night Mr. Stats!

05-18-2007, 09:22 PM
I recognize the pomposity - you can't hide behind the cloak of anonymity - the above poster is Mr Stats

Sorry, but I'm not MrStats.

Dr Jay
05-19-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm in - lurking as usual.

BTW - As someone who has met Mr Stats in the real world (ie on the real touchline), I can attest to the fact that unlike some posters, his real world persona matches his on-line one.

Blue Devil
05-19-2007, 09:08 AM

Sorry, but I'm not MrStats..

If you are not Stats than I am sorry too - he brings a lot to the discussion.

But if you are not Stats - how do you explain the audio link to Prufrock and the identification of the key lines in the Adams work?

Also as you know him can you predict when he will start to post again?

Fred Marks
05-21-2007, 06:39 AM
Fred M is in the house! Nice house!

pitch420
05-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Fred M is in the house! Nice house!

Good to have you cross over...

Cujo
05-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Cujo's in da house. I will try to be good. Hopefully I can last a few months without getting my arse thrown out of here too. Good to see almost everyone has migrated. Any word on Mr. Stats? I was hoping to discuss the improved level of play in MLS this year with him.

FSM
05-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Cujo's in da house. I will try to be good. Hopefully I can last a few months without getting my arse thrown out of here too. Good to see almost everyone has migrated. Any word on Mr. Stats? I was hoping to discuss the improved level of play in MLS this year with him.

Is that what happened to you? Cujo, certainly you could be controversial, but I can't recall you saying anything that should have resulted in your being banned. What did I miss?

Cujo
05-21-2007, 10:14 AM
I think Mr. Stats had me thrown out a couple of times. The last time was for good. He seemed to be in tight with the webmaster. The Irwin's didn't like me much anyway since I refused to drink the MAPLE Koolaid. Essentially I was banned for arguing with Mr. Stats about MLS. Nothing major just piffle.

Red99
05-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Honestly, I think something weird was going on with Touchline -- I tried to register for 2 years and never got my "confirmation e-mail" so could never post, and judging by the number of memberlist "members" who also never posted I don't think I was alone. Maybe the new forum will invite a wider range of discussion from some new folks.

Cujo
05-21-2007, 10:38 AM
I think the Irwin's (Kathy in particular) felt like they were stuck with an Albatross around their necks. Once it turned into a Mr. Stats dominated blog and that the players never used it Kathy decided that it was not serving the players in any beneficial way and was essentially a waste of money AND resources. At the end it became an endless rant about the evils of MLS and had very little to do with 11 year olds learning to love a wonderful game.

pitch420
05-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Honestly, I think something weird was going on with Touchline -- I tried to register for 2 years and never got my "confirmation e-mail" so could never post, and judging by the number of memberlist "members" who also never posted I don't think I was alone. Maybe the new forum will invite a wider range of discussion from some new folks.

What happens is there are groups/organizations that will try to sign up for these boards so they can simply direct people back to their sites and probably get paid for it. Some even have automated programs to sign up.

Touchline Admin told me he 'auto deletes' them all and needs to wait for the 'hey, what's taking so long' email for him to know whats a legitimate request.

Cujo
05-21-2007, 10:43 AM

What happens is there are groups/organizations that will try to sign up for these boards so they can simply direct people back to their sites and probably get paid for it. Some even have automated programs to sign up.

Touchline Admin told me he 'auto deletes' them all and needs to wait for the 'hey, what's taking so long' email for him to know whats a legitimate request.

He must be related to the guy that was relaying messages for Admiral Kimmel at Pearl Harbor.

Blue Devil
05-21-2007, 11:13 AM
The old touchline admin meant well - but made some very odd decisions and seemed to increase conflict whenever he stepped in.

He was kind of like the old Gilda Radner character on SNL - "oh you meant that - never mind" But instead of the nevermind response he would dig into his position even deeper.

You can already tell that this board will be administered a little more maturely than the last

05-21-2007, 12:17 PM
The old touchline admin meant well - but made some very odd decisions and seemed to increase conflict whenever he stepped in.

He was kind of like the old Gilda Radner character on SNL - "oh you meant that - never mind" But instead of the nevermind response he would dig into his position even deeper.

You can already tell that this board will be administered a little more maturely than the last

I think you are being very kind. He basically had zero clue about how to run a discussion board. He privately PM'd me that HIS Forum did not operate under the presumption of Freedom of Speech. In any case that is history and it is nice that there is a new venue for us to debate the various issues that interest us in the world of soccer. Hopefully it will be a free exchange of ideas where folks are allowed to express themselves.