Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MA Youth Coaching School

I'm in the process of cleaning out old soccer stuff and I came across the manual for the "F License 8 Hour Course" 2002.

Paging through this 107 page guide to new coaches I found Chapter 6 "Soccer Techniques". I read every word and could find nothing that would help perform the techniques while maintaining vision of the field. In fact, in everyone of the nice color pictures the players with the ball are looking down at the ball. Of the 107 pages you've got a total of 10 pages on technique. That's both for field players and keepers. There you go keepers go out and stop those breakaways!!!

However, here is the thing about the manual that bothers me most. In the course outline on page 1, only one hour of this 8 hour course is "Demonstration of soccer techniques" for field playersit is .

This course is designed to help the very newest soccer coaches and only a hint of here is how it's done.

This thing goes out with the trash.

Re: MA Youth Coaching School

What's included in the other 97 pages?

Comment

Could be because the book was put together in 1986 and is WAY WAY outdated. Has anyone actually taken the course lately?

Comment

Probably is outdated. However, as noted above, this is dated 2002. Most of the other pages are proper warmup, practice set up and drills.

All that is great but without tightning up skill and technique, the rest is wasted. Kind of like your steak dinner with no steak but lots of greens.

Comment

The goal with many of those lower courses is to teach the parent coach how to lead activities, be organized, consistent etc...

I hosted the course a few years back for my town and it wasn't that bad. I did not get a manual, but the instructors were showing how to teach basic technique.

The E license was a bit more technical and coaches were given some feedback.

Not until the D course do you really start focusing on techniques and tactics. Then you are tested.

Comment

Probably is outdated. However, as noted above, this is dated 2002. Most of the other pages are proper warmup, practice set up and drills.

All that is great but without tightning up skill and technique, the rest is wasted. Kind of like your steak dinner with no steak but lots of greens.
            I have the manual. On the cover it says 2002. Inside it says originally written by Jape Shattuck in 1986, revised by others in 1989, 1992 and 1995. It may still be outdated, but there is not a lot that can be learned from a book on technique. Technique has to be demonstrated. Funny though, there is a section comparing basketball to soccer of 3 pages. I suppose you have to get the information out in ways that the clueless understand.

Comment

Anyone going to the NSCAA Advanced Regional Diploma in Milford, MA ?

Comment

It's funny this subject should just appear. I justl left the MYSA coaching training site and then this. Most of the trainers have posted their own coaching activities/pracice plans based on age groups. I have to say they looked pretty good to me. I went through the D-level training, and these postings are a great improvement on what is in those books!
                http://www.mayouthsoccer.org/pages/2302 ... ssions.cfm

Comment

It's funny this subject should just appear. I justl left the MYSA coaching training site and then this. Most of the trainers have posted their own coaching activities/pracice plans based on age groups. I have to say they looked pretty good to me. I went through the D-level training, and these postings are a great improvement on what is in those books!
                  Where did you take the course...How and who were the instructors... I am trying to find the time to take it this coming weekend..

Comment

Took the D 2 years ago and the course manual was worthless.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X