Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Footie Talk

So after discovering this site just under a year ago, I thought this site was a brilliant idea. Then I delved deeper into the site. I was hooked as if I'm at the grocery store... you just have to glance at the tabloids. I have had my waves of emotions: enjoyment, intrigue, confusion, amazement, anger, rage, surprise, etc. , etc. I had begun to think that this site was very immature, just a piece of trash with all the heckling and trash-talking. It doesn't remind me of High School drama, more like middle school bickering! I seen everything on here except rock throwing and hair pulling. Enough is enough.

This tread is titled "Real Footie Talk". This is about the "real world of football". Not about U13 kids, not about Academy heckling, and definitely NOT about immature club bashing. So here are some topics I would like to hit on from time to time. Feel free to add to this and comment. I am not a site administrator, but no talk about individual youth players, no club/coach bashing, no State Cup talk.

-Who is your EPL manager of the year? Martin O'Neil, David Moyes, Alex Ferguson, Steve Bruce, others?

My vote is with Martin O'Neil of Aston Villa. With nearly his entire team being English, he has disrupted the "Big 4" (Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal). At the current time the EPL is comprised 35% English players! Sponsors, wages and incredible world-wide fan bases have attracted the best (and most expensive) players from around the world. Even with all of this taken into consideration O'Neil's "Villans" have cracked the top four on their way to a Champions League spot with a squad that is a fraction of the cost of United's or Chelsea's squads. To that, I tip my hat to Martin O'Neil for 2008/09 English Premier League's Manager of the Year.

As I see it right now, the only thing that would knock O'Neil off his pedestal would be if Alex Ferguson were to win the Quadruple (Carling Cup, FA Cup, Premier League Title and Champions League) with Manchester United. (They already won the FIFA World Club Cup in Japan in December, so it would actually be 5 Titles in 08/09 for United if they were to win the Quad.

Other topics I plan to explore in more detail going forward:
    -Brazilian players now becoming one of the greatest contributors to Brazil's GDP.
    -The rise of Hoffenheim in Germany.
    -Deficiencies in American Goalkeepers Abroad.
    -Decisions for U16-18's: College or Professional Leagues, not both
    -MLS Fans
    -Systems of choice and management styles in Champions League (returns 2/24 and 2/25)
    -Top Ten players of All Time, you will be educated shocked I promise
    -Jose Torres, yes him!
    -plus other topics

*These comments are opinions of Kickball Fan and not those of Talking-Soccer.com. You always need a disclaimer just to be safe!

Re: Real Footie Talk

So after discovering this site just under a year ago, I thought this site was a brilliant idea. Then I delved deeper into the site. I was hooked as if I'm at the grocery store... you just have to glance at the tabloids. I have had my waves of emotions: enjoyment, intrigue, confusion, amazement, anger, rage, surprise, etc. , etc. I had begun to think that this site was very immature, just a piece of trash with all the heckling and trash-talking. It doesn't remind me of High School drama, more like middle school bickering! I seen everything on here except rock throwing and hair pulling. Enough is enough.

This tread is titled "Real Footie Talk". This is about the "real world of football". Not about U13 kids, not about Academy heckling, and definitely NOT about immature club bashing. So here are some topics I would like to hit on from time to time. Feel free to add to this and comment. I am not a site administrator, but no talk about individual youth players, no club/coach bashing, no State Cup talk.

-Who is your EPL manager of the year? Martin O'Neil, David Moyes, Alex Ferguson, *apricot* Bruce, others?

My vote is with Martin O'Neil of Aston Villa. With nearly his entire team being English, he has disrupted the "Big 4" (Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal). At the current time the EPL is comprised 35% English players! Sponsors, wages and incredible world-wide fan bases have attracted the best (and most expensive) players from around the world. Even with all of this taken into consideration O'Neil's "Villans" have cracked the top four on their way to a Champions League spot with a squad that is a fraction of the cost of United's or Chelsea's squads. To that, I tip my hat to Martin O'Neil for 2008/09 English Premier League's Manager of the Year.

As I see it right now, the only thing that would knock O'Neil off his pedestal would be if Alex Ferguson were to win the Quadruple (Carling Cup, FA Cup, Premier League Title and Champions League) with Manchester United. (They already won the FIFA World Club Cup in Japan in December, so it would actually be 5 Titles in 08/09 for United if they were to win the Quad.

Other topics I plan to explore in more detail going forward:
    -Brazilian players now becoming one of the greatest contributors to Brazil's GDP.
    -The rise of Hoffenheim in Germany.
    -Deficiencies in American Goalkeepers Abroad.
    -Decisions for U16-18's: College or Professional Leagues, not both
    -MLS Fans
    -Systems of choice and management styles in Champions League (returns 2/24 and 2/25)
    -Top Ten players of All Time, you will be educated shocked I promise
    -Jose Torres, yes him!
    -plus other topics

*These comments are opinions of Kickball Fan and not those of Talking-Soccer.com. You always need a disclaimer just to be safe!
    You seem lonely. Get a puppy.

Comment

You are definitely in the wrong forum. Assuming you are a Brit, try this one - http://soccerhead.infopop.net/2/OpenTop ... =235092054 Or this one - http://www.worldclasscoaching.com/wccfo ... st&Board=1 Lots of Brits in both.

Comment

Big Soccer is about the biggest and best for general soccer talk.

Comment

For a more local flavor on general topics try FSM's blog http://touchline.informe.com/everything-soccer-df1.html

Comment

For a more local flavor on general topics try FSM's blog http://touchline.informe.com/everything-soccer-df1.html

FSM has never had an original though in her life. Copy and paste...copy and paste. That other thread is abysmal. The real "action" is here

Comment

FSM has never had an original though in her life. Copy and paste...copy and paste. That other thread is abysmal. The real "action" is here
              FSM has the control she wants, too bad nobody is reading.

Local soccer news? try here http://www.soccer-new-england.com/Lates ... -News.html

Comment

The topics over at FSM central are beyond the discussion ability of most of those that frequent this forum whose world revolves around whether their kid's team qualifies for state cups or not.

Comment

I think Fred Marks is a moderator over there.

Comment

O'Neill has certainly done a lot with Villa and deserves a lot of credit. The cynic in me would decry his style of play, much like I did when his Celtic side received adulation during their European adventures. But, he's in the results business and right now he's getting them. Although he would have to ensure a top 4 position to be in contention for Manager of the Year and I think Arsenal are ready to make a push.

Ferguson deserves enormous credit for the way he has rebuilt United. A few years back when Mourinho and Wenger were splitting the titles everyone said he was too out of touch, yet he has come back with arguably his strongest side ever. If he retains the Champions League, I'd say he deserves it as no one has done that in the lifetime of the Champions League (not European Cup).

I only reply in attempt to keep this topic going.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest

Local soccer news? try here http://www.soccer-new-england.com/Lates ... -News.html
                      That forum is a total bore-fest. It perfectly reflects FSM's soulless posts which are nothing more than other people's opinions stolen from books, articles, and other forums.

Comment

O'Neill has certainly done a lot with Villa and deserves a lot of credit. The cynic in me would decry his style of play, much like I did when his Celtic side received adulation during their European adventures. But, he's in the results business and right now he's getting them. Although he would have to ensure a top 4 position to be in contention for Manager of the Year and I think Arsenal are ready to make a push.

Ferguson deserves enormous credit for the way he has rebuilt United. A few years back when Mourinho and Wenger were splitting the titles everyone said he was too out of touch, yet he has come back with arguably his strongest side ever. If he retains the Champions League, I'd say he deserves it as no one has done that in the lifetime of the Champions League (not European Cup).

I only reply in attempt to keep this topic going.

Well I will keep it going. Martin O'Neill definitely deserves it, if his team finishes in the top 4. He's doing wonders with so little budget. Since coaches are evaluated by the results, he's finding way to come up with them. Kudos to him! He gets my vote!
                        What about player of the year so far in EPL?

Comment

Shortlist at the moment for EPL Player of the Year:
                          Vidic
                          Giggs
                          Agbonlahor
                          Ashley Young
                          Gerrard

IF's...
                          Ronaldo... if he'd defend, and if he wasn't such an arrogant diving little sh*t
                          Torres... if he wasn't injured for most of the season
                          Anelka... if he'd get his head out of the sand
                          Adebayor... injured and (see Anelka)

Comment

My top 3:
                            Ronaldo, Torres, and Agbonlahor.
                            You can say whatever you want about Ronaldo, but MU did nothing until his return. He's still the best EPL player!

Comment

Talk about outrageous club fees!!!!

How'd you like to pay millions of dollars to play club soccer?

What if that club was AC Milan?

What if you were David Beckham and had virtually unlimited wealth?

Well that is exactly what has just been finalized between AC Milan and MLS. Just reported minutes ago, a $10 Million dollar loan extention has just been finalized.

On top of everything and all the drama, Becks has stated he does not want to return to MLS. The question is, how bad does he not want to play for the Galaxy? Enough to cough up $10 million of his own cake? AC Milan has stated they were not going to pay for any contract/loan extension. So, how much of the $10 million did Mr. David Beckham pay to play for AC Milan??? Talk about insane club fees!!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X