Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coaching Licenses/Diplomas/Badges

Why don't more youth coaches have licenses, and why don't more clubs require their coaches to get them? Is it a factor for parents when choosing: Club #1 whose coach holds a high level license vs. Club #2 whose coaching holds no certificate?

If you didn't know by now, licenses and the like, do not always guarantee competence... but I'm just curious what everyone else out there thinks about this, thoughts?

Re: Coaching Licenses/Diplomas/Badges

The higher level coaching course are expensive and time consuming. The USSF courses are also based on playing ability.

Comment

Based on playing ability is a good thing... right?

You want a coach who can play AND explain how to play. Right?

Comment

Based on playing ability is a good thing... right?

You want a coach who can play AND explain how to play. Right?
        What if the coach can no longer play due to health issues???????? Not fair I would think. There are plenty of guys and girls who have the USSF A license who should not be coaching period!!!!!!!!!!!1

Comment

Really? Plenty? Do you have any idea how hard it is to get an A license?

I just perused four Large club websites as well as Mass Youth Soccer. There are a number of B and C licenses and Advanced coaching certificates, but only four A's I could find. Three of the A holders are DOC's of their organizations and the fourth is an Academy coach at a large club while he is attending grad school.

Comment

I found 4 more As. No surprise the head coaches of BCs men's and women's teams both have As. The other two I found were FO (now an assistant at BU) and the goalkeeping coach at NEEFC.

I don't understand why anyone would put down a coach who has made the effort to obtain an A and keep it current (you must keep it up with continuing education) Does it make them better coaches than the holder of a B license? Not necessarily. But it is definitely something to think about when you are selected a team/club for your child. Who is in charge of the soccer development and what are their credentials? Is my child's coach a parent or someone for whom teaching the game is their vocation or avocation? Don't get me wrong there are great teachers of the game out there without creds on paper.

Comment

My biggest concern is that these course rarely address youth soccer issues. The higher level course are for higher level players nearing adulthood. The National Youth License should be more important than any other level license for a youth club that is coaching down U10.

Comment

That's a valid point. I could find only three national youth diplomas listed quickly (I expect there are more) - one of them advanced. Mike Singleton has both an A and a national youth diploma. You wouldn't believe which two teams the holders of those national youth diplomas coach.

Comment

That's a valid point. I could find only three national youth diplomas listed quickly (I expect there are more) - one of them advanced. *Mundu* Singleton has both an A and a national youth diploma. You wouldn't believe which two teams the holders of those national youth diplomas coach.
                  Does Singleton have a National Youth Diploma or licesne? I think the NYL is a bit different than the NYD in that the NYL is a USSF course and the NYD is an NSCAA course. Although the content is similiar, NSCAA courses don't put as much importance on playing ability as does USSF.

Comment

My biggest concern is that these course rarely address youth soccer issues. The higher level course are for higher level players nearing adulthood. The National Youth License should be more important than any other level license for a youth club that is coaching down U10.
                    The coaches that will be in the new league should be considering themselves as teachers first, coaches second. IMO the point about the NYL as opposed to the other level licenses is the difference between majoring in elementary school education to teach at that level as opposed to majoring in courses to teach at the college level..

Comment

Here is his CV. He's got an A license as well so it's clear he can play

State Head Coach
                      Mike Singleton
                      • USSF A license
                      • NSCAA Premier license
                      • US Youth license
                      • FA Youth license
                      • KNVB Youth Diploma
                      • Region 1 Staff
                      • US Youth Soccer National Staff Coach

Comment

Originally posted by Guest
                        The coaches that will be in the new league should be considering themselves as teachers first, coaches second. IMO the point about the NYL as opposed to the other level licenses is the difference between majoring in elementary school education to teach at that level as opposed to majoring in courses to teach at the college level..
                        Just been through the so called big 6 clubs in the state and the only DOC to have National Youth license is JD. I also think the most important license should be the NYL. It is a 5 day course just like the C, B and A. IMOP if you are DOC of a youth club then you should have a this license. Just read the material on it on the USYSA sight, it is pretty good what they look to achieve through the course.

Comment

Peter Bradley has his A. JD has the National Youth License.

Comment

*salt* Bradley has his A. JD has the National Youth License.
                            JD has his A aswell as the NYL

Comment

*salt* Bradley has his A. JD has the National Youth License.
                              I did not post to compare coaches, Both Bradley and Dewhurst have A licenses and are fine coaches. My point was Dewhurst seems to be one of the very few who has the NYL. My question is why? Do DOCs overlook it as it focuses just on the younger age groups. The course focus on 6-11 year olds.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X