Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will MPS Win a SC Title This Spring?

I have been a Maple supporter, and MPS doubter for quite a while, but slowly and grudgingly have come to the realization they are training kids well while building a large and profitable club. Southeastern Mass, Boston, Northshore, and now Southern Maine are MPS territory, with rumors of Central Mass swirling. Many MPS teams are becoming more competitive, and today, while walking the dog I sensed they might break through and win a State cup title or two this Spring. I'd guess at a younger age as a result of their SOE program, or at boy's 16 or 17 with all the DAP turmoil, or perhaps one of their older girls sides or even the U15 Renegades, runners up last year.

Is it possible? Which teams have the best chance, and why? Which sides do the typical top maple teams most have to fear? If they do win a title or two, will there be even a greater MPS presence across the State?

Re: Will MPS Win a SC Title This Spring?

Not likely. MPS spreads their talent too thin, and they don't play sufficient high level, speed, and pressure games to win it all. I've been warning everyone of the MPS juggernaut for a while, and while I don't think they'll break through this spring, predict it won't take much longer. Once they do, they will become a gigantic force to be reckoned with on both the girls and boys sides as win hungry parents flock to the next great thing.

Comment

Originally posted by offside
      Not likely. MPS spreads their talent too thin, and they don't play sufficient high level, speed, and pressure games to win it all. I've been warning everyone of the MPS juggernaut for a while, and while I don't think they'll break through this spring, predict it won't take much longer. Once they do, they will become a gigantic force to be reckoned with on both the girls and boys sides as win hungry parents flock to the next great thing.
      I dont agree. The fact that they had 2 young teams on the girls side reach the finals indicates their model is fine. Different but fine. They dont spread their talent out on purpose, they cover a wide area so they have to. I for one would not like to see them pool the best of their teams as that would surely create a SC winner.

Comment

Offside, how long has MPS been around, and why do you think they are successful?

SP

Comment

Originally posted by Guest
          Offside, how long has MPS been around, and why do you think they are successful?
          MPS hasn't been around that long, having started in 2000 or 2001.

Their success is a result of an inclusive reach. No club has more teams, players, coaches, or varied offerings. They bring a consistent professionalism and this has matched their steady growth. A couple years back I thought they might combine their best players to compete at higher level tournaments, including SC, but time has proven they have a philosophy and plan to follow which places long term development above short term wins. Wins in top tourneys will now come, just probably not this Spring.

I'm guilty of Maple blinders, or the "Maple mentality", and in the decade or so I've followed soccer in this region have come to realize there are other, perhaps better ways, to produce quality teams and players.

Comment

MPS hasn't been around that long, having started in 2000 or 2001.

Their success is a result of an inclusive reach. No club has more teams, players, coaches, or varied offerings. They bring a consistent professionalism and this has matched their steady growth. A couple years back I thought they might combine their best players to compete at higher level tournaments, including SC, but time has proven they have a philosophy and plan to follow which places long term development above short term wins. Wins in top tourneys will now come, just probably not this Spring.

I'm guilty of Maple blinders, or the "Maple mentality", and in the decade or so I've followed soccer in this region have come to realize there are other, perhaps better ways, to produce quality teams and players.
            What is interesting is that the current U14 and U15 girls on the Renegades side anyway, are the first set of teams whose players all went thru SOE from the beginning. Sure, they've had some players join and leave but the core of these teams went thru SOE if I am not mistaken.

Comment

Just checked the links at mayouthsoccer.org and noticed MPS Renegades and Bulldogs had SC winning teams in 2004 + 2005. Did MPS have the Cape side at this time? How were these early teams formed? How were these kids identified and recruited when MPS had only been around a couple years? Did MPS initially follow a more typical Mass club structure? Have they since chosen to divert and build the large pyramid, with tentacles spread throughout Eastern Mass, seemingly modeled after large super clubs such as CASL or Dallas Texans?

Good point on the positive impact now being felt on the Renegades teams because of the SOE. I saw the SOE in action this past Fall in Lancaster and was very impressed with the numbers of kids, and more importantly, smiling parents drinking MPS Koolaid.

I'm sorry about the negative posts asking whether other teams might win SC. I began this thread in the hopes others interested in the quality MPS teams most of us have little opportunity to observe on a regular basis can be identified and discussed. I had no intent of trashing these kids, parents or teams.

Comment

As Offsides said, MPS has a different approach and play in different venues, including US Club tournaments and Super Y league. And this year they have progressed to having all U14 through U17 Renegades teams in Sub-regional league. Many State Cup winners from other states, CT, ENY, NJ, VT, ME, NH, play in these US Club tournaments and several in Super Y, so they are seeing plenty of good high level competition through-out the year. They are now also getting teams into Big Showcase events. They aren't in Region 1 Premier or Red Bull yet, but my guess is that is only a short time away.

The Ma teams don't see them or play against them regualrly, so they are mystified when they take the field against them - and most MAPLE parents think they are "weak" teams because they play MASC in the fall and Spring as U13 and U14 teams. But they play MASC only because its the place to play in the fall in MA if they don't play MAPLE, which MPS does not do. If MPS did play MAPLE starting at U13 they would be placed in Developmental level since they are a new team at U13 and would have to play their way up. So its better for them to play 7 games in MASC and some friendlies and the like and then run through the State Cup Challenge games and make Round Robin play and "surprise" the people in MAPLE who have never heard of them at the young ages. Playing MASC is really no different than playing MAPLE D, no matter what most people think and the MPS teams rarely if ever lose a game in MASC, except between the Cape and Boston MPS teams. And many MAPLE folks are confused when they do play an MPS team that is either a Developmental team (Black or Red) that are MPS no. 2 and 3 teams or a U11 or U12 team in NH Seacoast tournament that's simply an SOE team put together and playing 11v11 for the first time.

You can say what you want about whether MPS teams are yet nationally at the top level in MA with Stars and Scorpions, but no other girls club in MA is playing at the level of competition MPS is outside of MA. Not even close actually. How many teams in MA other than Stars and Scorpions are playing state cup champions from ENY or CT? An occassional team at U17 or U18? Certainly not the other MAPLE teams at U13, U14, U15 or U16 (Eagles are in Subregional at this age this year, so they are an exception, but not the whole club and MPS has already knocked the Eagles top U13 team out of state cup).

MPS is growing in strength because of a combination of 1. the talent they are pulling into SOE, which is far better coordinated with town programs at the U9 to U12 ages than any other club program, 2. their lack of a "win now" mentality that really does create more technically developed players at a younger age and does not look for big, fast players at the expense of potential, 3. better competition and higher level of competition in their tournament selections and 4. consistent quality coaching that rotates coaches and teams through the years. Stars and Scorps will always have a better track record at U11 and U12 and create a regional standing before MPS teams start competing at U13. But that gap is closing quickly.

They even take their teams, boys and girls, over to England for their U14 summer (used to be U15 year) to experience the hard core England/European game, fan base and competition which furthers both development and a love for the game that lasts a lifetime and further bonds a team. They watch games live in the stadia, train at EPL development programs and play competitive games while in England. What club in MA does anything like that? They have not spread their talent thin, they are a more expansive geographic club with multiple locations and are getting top talent through SOE and adding good to great players from other clubs only when they are clear impact players and not just to change whenever the new flavor of the month shows up at a try-out.

As offsides said - it's a different approach and its growing in success and its growing in popularity and in reach. I think this year they have several potential state cup champion teams and next year they will have more of them and one of these years they will start to win multiple state cup championships. Maybe this is the year, but the competition the Stars - friendly and with respect - and the Scorpions bring is a darn good match-up and will be fun to watch this year and over the next several years to come. Same for the Bolts and Blazers and Eagles on the boys side.

Comment

MPS plays in MASC as a means to an end. Its only used for developmental purposes and qualification for SC.

Comment

I think mps has closed the gap with stars and scorps and they have slowly but surely been picking off more and more players from other clubs for various reasons.A lot of us other parents besides mps,stars and scorps either cant or do not want to spend the money or time (weekends in n.h. vt. n.y, canada) ect.that it takes to play in super y or region1 or sub reg. or for these clubs.Im not knocking you guys just saying everyone has different choices and priorities,so i wish you all three the best it should be fun to watch you play at state cup. from another div. 1 maple parent. t.r.

Comment

Has anyone seen the latest MPS release?

http://www.mpsbr.com/news/2009/premchanges.html

Can anyone offer an opinion on these coaches?

Who is the top coaches within MPS? and how are they compared to other coaches?

Comment

BTDT would be in a good position to offer an opinion.

what is your experience of the MPS coaching to date?

Comment

Gallagher and MacPhee are top notch but have large shoes to fill with Babers move.

how are they compared to other coaches?
                          By height :D

Comment

Best age groups to see a SC champ: U14 and U17.

Comment

Who is the top coaches within MPS? and how are they compared to other coaches?
                              P Bradley is one of the top minds in youth soccer in the USA ..

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X