X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School is the Priority

School is the Priority, right?

One of the boys on my younger son’s U12 team has been grounded from soccer for two months because of his report card, which had two Ds on it. I told the mom I supported her decision because school is the priority, but I wish, in hindsight, that I had been able to at least discuss the decision with her a little.

The boy has a weight problem and is one of the worst players on the team, but I feel as though he needs to play soccer. He loves it, he needs the exercise, and he’s always getting better. It seems to me that there are other ways to get him to do better in school, or other, more immediate consequences for his lack of attention to his studies.

I wanted to say, for example, is he banned from playing video games? Is he getting extra tutoring? Has she met with his teachers to get their recommendations? But sometimes I just don’t think well on my feet, especially when I’m disappointed.

What do you think? Do your kids ever get grounded from soccer as a consequence for bad behavior?

Re: School is the Priority

Originally posted by Guest

What do you think? Do your kids ever get grounded from soccer as a consequence for bad behavior?
    I've threatened it plenty but only acted on it once and actually made my kid go and watch the game he was missing.

Comment

We live by the rule of, the punishment must fit the crime. We have never taken sports away, but have taken IM, video, and/or phones away due to a lack of grades as a result of not preparing. If our children are preparing, studying and staying after school for help, etc.., and still don't get the desired result, we don't punish. we look at other options such as tutors. This doesn't mean our ideas are better or worse than anyone else's, just an expression of what we do. This is always a difficult topic and decision to make. We have kept a child from practice, if the time could be spent preparing for a number of quizzes or tests the next day. You are correct, without the grades, no one is getting past the admissions office and play for a school, even if you are on the national team...

Comment

there was a good article some time back regarding the author's opinion that taking away sports because of grades was probably a bad thing to do. someone would have to do a search on here to find it. I'm not good at that.

Comment

there was a good article some time back regarding the author's opinion that taking away sports because of grades was probably a bad thing to do. someone would have to do a search on here to find it. I'm not good at that.
          I recall this too...

Comment

One of the boys on my younger son’s U12 team has been grounded from soccer for two months because of his report card, which had two Ds on it. I told the mom I supported her decision because school is the priority, but I wish, in hindsight, that I had been able to at least discuss the decision with her a little.

The boy has a weight problem and is one of the worst players on the team, but I feel as though he needs to play soccer. He loves it, he needs the exercise, and he’s always getting better. It seems to me that there are other ways to get him to do better in school, or other, more immediate consequences for his lack of attention to his studies.

I wanted to say, for example, is he banned from playing video games? Is he getting extra tutoring? Has she met with his teachers to get their recommendations? But sometimes I just don’t think well on my feet, especially when I’m disappointed.

Please mind your own business, and let them parent the way they see fit without your input or discussion.

Comment

You do what ever it takes to get your child working harder in School. If they are doing there best then there is not much you can or should do except get them more help. If they are not doing there best then you need to take away whatever you can to get get there attention and no two children are exactly the same. I also don't believe it should be sports or video games, why not both? In this age where the competition to get into colleges are growing, parents need to be aware and act quickly. Bad grades in the 9th and 10th grade can hurt but even more important is falling behind in reading or math at an early age can cause more issues when they get older.
              My oldest was taken out of soccer and more because of grades. The coach and the DOC came to me and told me I was doing the wrong thing. They were not very supportive at all and it bothered me tremendously. I wasn't sure that I was doing the correct thing but I stuck to what I thought was best. My child started to understand how important school was and that bad grades would not be tolerated. She did much better and is now in her second year of college. By the way, my daughter did go back to playing soccer again but not with that club.

Comment

Please mind your own business, and let them parent the way they see fit without your input or discussion.
                Oh zip it, theres nothing wrong with it. You are more than welcome to not post, thanks.

Comment

Oh zip it, theres nothing wrong with it. You are more than welcome to not post, thanks.
                  Really, sounds like it was and could have been a normal discussion between 2 adults who knew each other.

Comment

My oldest was taken out of soccer and more because of grades. The coach and the DOC came to me and told me I was doing the wrong thing.
                    Thats because it affected them. Your kids music teacher would have done the same thing.

Comment

Sounds like the little tub oughta get his face out of the Donettes and get his nose into the books.

Comment

On hindsight, I would like to have a discussion with you about what I feel to be your excessive time spent posting on an internet soccer forum known for it's anonymous libelous postings.

Comment

Let the parents of the player be parents - other than common courtesy, a parent should not feel obliged to have any detailed discussion with a coach etc. when it comes to the priority of school - it should be a given and in every situation I have seen it has been supported by the coach without discussion - it is a parent's decision and their prerogative to eliminate an activity if it get's in the way of a player's schoolwork - face it, every player is just one injury away from never playing again - school always comes first.

Comment

On the one hand sports are a privelage and school is first place in importance. But having said that sports provide so many other valuable attributes including commitment, self esteem, confidence and social interaction and learning that its important as well. We have always believed that grades are critical and you need to re-inforce that constantly, but we also felt strongly that using a child's favorite passion as a true lever would drive the child away from that, which would be disastrous. So my advice, since you asked, is find something else to discipline your boy while making it clear that in the long run his love of soccer will be adversely affected by his poor grades in school sports or simply because his studying needs will keep his time locked up. On the latter point it is critical that homework is done before sports and computer games and facebook and the like. I'd start there.

Comment

Ummm....This person did, in fact, mind their own business. Sure, she/he thought about having a discussion about it - but didn't. So she/he did mind their own business. Why do you need to be so quick to jump all over this? All that is being asked here is whether or not people have grounded kids from soccer as a consequence for bad behavior. It is a legitimate question.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X