Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private High Schools- Boston South

I am fairly new to the area south of Boston. Can anybody share any experiences/advice about reputable private high school that would be a good fit for a decent female soccer player and a decent (B+) student? I know of Thayer Academy but know very little about it. I am not impressed with the academic component of the school system that my daughter presently attends and my husband and I were considering private high schools (within reason financially). Thanks for any help.

Re: Private High Schools- Boston South

By combining the information at these two websites you should be able to target a few schools to look into further. There are some great schools to choose from.

Private School Report
    http://schools.privateschoolsreport.com ... ts/MA.html

NEPSAC
    http://www.digitalsports.com/sportscent ... id/65.aspx

Comment

You're consulting a soccer forum for advice about south shore private schools? For a "decent" soccer player?

Comment

I would suggest looking at Notre Dame Academy in Hingham (all girls). It is a great school, usually have a good soccer team, and more reasonable than private high school. Nikki Cross came out of here - went on to play at UConn. Several other strong soccer players have come through here. Most importantly, it is a very strong academic program.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest
          You're consulting a soccer forum for advice about south shore private schools? For a "decent" soccer player?
          So?

Comment

If money is no object I would place Milton Acad. above Thayer. I think Thayer tuition is in the high 20's. I would also put Nobles above Thayer. I agree that ND hingham is the best for your $, but it is an all girls school.

Comment

Depends where you live south of Boston and how much money you want to spend. The Parochial schools are roughly 1/3 the cost of the independents and can provide a great education. If you are interested, Notre Dame of Hingham typically has a strong program but it is all girls as is Fontebonne in Milton. As far as co-ed options, Arch Bishop Williams in Braintree, Cardinal Spellman in Brockton, and Bishop Feehan in Attleboro all have fine sports programs. Spellman was the top seeded D2 program this past fall.

Comment

From what I've read on this forum, Needham HS should definitely be on your list. Contact Coach T.

Comment

Originally posted by Try this
                  I would suggest looking at Notre Dame Academy in Hingham (all girls). It is a great school, usually have a good soccer team, and more reasonable than private high school. Nikki Cross came out of here - went on to play at UConn. Several other strong soccer players have come through here. Most importantly, it is a very strong academic program.
                  Most town high schools example hingham or braintree are much more academically challenged than Notre Dame - Nice location but school a joke

Comment

If you want maximum academic rigour then perhaps one of the prep schools might be best. Typically you pay a lot more money, but get top quality resources and facilities, small classes, and lots of individual attention. The one big problem I learned is that most kids have their sites set on an Ivy League school and a school like Harvard is not going to take the entire graduating class so the competition can work against a kid. On the other side you have the parochial and public schools. The parochial high school experience is vastly different from the public school experience and the single gender schools are a different aninimal altogether. The observation that I have with the parochial schools is they are far better equipped to address issues of character and morality than public schools and are particularly good with under motivated or under producing kids. On the other side public schools are usually going to have better resources and do a better job with special needs or gifted kids. If you kid is self motivated or needs a lot of help to succeed this is typically the best place for them. We have found that the single gender schools, are difficult for the kids along the way but the kids come out much stronger than they would have in another environment. What I have learned is there is no perfect school and what works for one kid may not necessarily work for another.

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderer
                      I am fairly new to the area south of Boston. Can anybody share any experiences/advice about reputable private high school that would be a good fit for a decent female soccer player and a decent (B+) student? I know of Thayer Academy but know very little about it. I am not impressed with the academic component of the school system that my daughter presently attends and my husband and I were considering private high schools (within reason financially). Thanks for any help.
                      Not sure about Thayer academically but the soccer program is one you don't want. New coach who was the St. Peter Marian JV Coach. Former Hamlet coach who now is the DOC for Blackwatch. Some shady stuff going on there and I am sure it has probably carried over to the HS program considering Blackwatch home fields are at Thayer. Beware!

Comment

Originally posted by Try this
                        Most town high schools example hingham or braintree are much more academically challenged than Notre Dame - Nice location but school a joke
                        Hingham and Braintree are academically challenged, I agree. Notre Dame is academically challenging.

Comment

Hingham and Braintree are academically challenged, I agree. Notre Dame is academically challenging.

Comment

What a bunch of snobs,you all are, get a life.

Comment

Originally posted by MR HUTCHINSON
                              What a bunch of snobs,you all are, get a life.
                              Shut up

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X