Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New England Anons

The news that Michael Parkhurst left the New England Revs made me think about other players who have departed in recent years: Clint Dempsey, Pat Noonan, Jose Cancela, Andy Dorman, Avery John, James Riley, Khano Smith, Adam Cristman.... Frankly, the turnover is getting ridiculous. Just when you've learned a player's game and personality and quirks, he's gone. The day Shalrie or Taylor leaves is probably the day I'll completely stop caring about the Revs.

Re: New England Anons

Ah yes, who can forget Avery *eggplant*?

Comment

You say eggplant, I say aubergine.

Comment

Rumors are they are going to trade Twellman.

Comment

How does this turnover compare to other MLS teams. I bet you would find that it is very similar.

Comment

Originally posted by teskicks
            How does this turnover compare to other MLS teams. I bet you would find that it is very similar.
            I think you're right, and clearly European opportunities and expansion drafts are big reasons why. I was also thinking about Patriots and Red Sox and Celtics turnover when I started the thread; are the Revs that much worse? I dunno. Still, I'm having a hard time sustaining my loyalty to and interest in the Revs because of their turnover.

But that's not all. Could I not care less about the Revs winning the SuperLiga championship? All those meaningless (to me) games broke up the season and left the team exhausted and depleted for MLS games. The Revs down the stretch were a ragged crew, not fun to watch.

Finally I was spoiled by the pre-shopping complex days, when even a non-season ticket holder could drive right up to the stadium. Now a long drive over crappy highways is followed by a long walk. And I don't drive to Foxboro to shop.

Comment

I am concerned about the level of play dropping off a little next year.

The league has made a change that will not allow a team to play in both "in-season" tournaments like the REVs did this past summer. Maybe that will help prevent the drain on the teams.

The REVs do have a lot of draft picks this year. I think they have 7, 2 in round 1 and 2 in round 2. They have drafted well in the past so this is something to look forward to. They may end up using the picks to trade for more experienced players.

I still get excited about going but I live 3.5 miles from the stadium and can leave 30 minutes before kick-off and still get there in time.

Comment

I'm glad to hear about that rule change, because the team looked absolutely shot by the end of the season. And yes, the Revs do draft well, and Nicol coaches well, so the team might stay near the top.

I've got nothing against the new players on the team - I particularly like Nyassi - but the team has lost a number of proven players. Ralston isn't getting any younger, and if the rumors about Twellman are true and he goes, who's going to score the goals - Dube?

Comment

Lets just face the fact that MLS soccer really is not all that high of a quality soccer and none of the teams are able to pay the money to keep the top players if an international club comes calling. It is also better for US Soccer as a whole if these players go over and play overseas. Does anyone on here really consider Taylor a top level player? He scores alot ofgoals because he is reckless. His skill level is not good enough to get on the national team on a regular basis yet some people love the guy. If he cant play for our national team that should tell you something right there when he is the player we seem to be the most obsessed with.

Comment

Twellman is a good goalscorere but there were several games near the end of the season when he did not play. Having two players up top who could work off of each other and not defer to Twellman changed the dynamic of the team. They looked much more fluid in the attacking third. I think it was Dube and Mansally. They are both young and could grow into something special. Of course if they do I'm sure they will be off to Europe.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X