X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoutout to MATHMAN

Two questions, if you don't mind:

1. When will you be posting your ratings for U13 and U14 teams?

2. Your thoughts on the new algorithms used by Gotsoccer?

Thanks.

Re: Shoutout to MATHMAN

MM, where art thou?

Comment

?

Comment

Originally posted by Guest
        ?

Comment

Two questions, if you don't mind:

1. When will you be posting your ratings for U13 and U14 teams?

2. Your thoughts on the new algorithms used by Gotsoccer?

Thanks.
          1. It's going to be a while. I'm really busy with work, and it just takes a long time to run all the games. I'll have more time after finals are over, so maybe in January I can get some stuff up for the 14s.

2. No real thoughts. Their algorithm is what it is. I don't think it is very complete.

Comment

I think Mathman rankings are probably the biggest joke around. I love the way he keeps it "secret".

Stick to GotSoccer. They're fair and pretty damn accurate for the topf 50 in each age bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by Bemused
              I think Mathman rankings are probably the biggest joke around. I love the way he keeps it "secret".

Stick to GotSoccer. They're fair and pretty damn accurate for the topf 50 in each age bracket.
              Yeah, right. Fair as in you must be a Got Soccer tournament to get the highest rating. Accurate if you are counting who goes to the most tournaments.

Comment

You are easily bemused.

Comment

GotSoccers a joke

Comment

All rankings are a joke. If Got soccer was serious they would limit the number of tournaments a team could get points for. Use Subregional, Regional League and State Cup and Regionals as the most important measures. This would eliminate teams entering a ridiculous number of tournaments actually hurts player development because the tournaments are so important for team status. NSR also ranks teams and their system makes little sense as well because teams from the Regional experts area are always ranked highly because the "experts" see those teams regularly.

Better system:
                    Three tournaments max.
                    State Cup & Regional Results
                    SubRegional and Regional League results

Comment

Best system is based on head to head competition. Sort of like what MM's system is based on.

Comment

All rankings are a joke. If Got soccer was serious they would limit the number of tournaments a team could get points for. Use Subregional, Regional League and State Cup and Regionals as the most important measures. This would eliminate teams entering a ridiculous number of tournaments actually hurts player development because the tournaments are so important for team status. NSR also ranks teams and their system makes little sense as well because teams from the Regional experts area are always ranked highly because the "experts" see those teams regularly.

Better system:
                        Three tournaments max.
                        "All rankings are a joke."

Note: MM's system is a "rating" not a "ranking" system.

There are too many reasons why your system wouldn't work, but the biggest is that fact that some states (and parts of the country) are really strong, and some states aren't. State Cups, Regionals and regional leagues alone don't reflect that fact.

Comment

All rankings are a joke.
                          Then don't suggest an alternative system.

If Got soccer was serious they would limit the number of tournaments a team could get points for. Use Subregional, Regional League and State Cup and Regionals as the most important measures. This would eliminate teams entering a ridiculous number of tournaments actually hurts player development because the tournaments are so important for team status. NSR also ranks teams and their system makes little sense as well because teams from the Regional experts area are always ranked highly because the "experts" see those teams regularly.
                          Better system:
                          Three tournaments max.
                          Most competitive teams play more than three tournaments in a soccer year. Which three tournaments would you choose? Or would the teams get to choose the tournaments they want counted? Some tournaments are more competitive than others. How would you make the distinction? And would you only give points to teams that made the playoffs? What about teams that missed out on the playoffs due to some 5th order tiebreaker? Would they get 0 points?

Some state cups and regions are more competitive than others. How would you determine which are the most competitive and which least competitive? And how would you assign points to those state and regional results, and on what basis?

See above.

Comment

If you win your region you, should be ranked top four in the country plain and simple. The number two team in each region should be the winner of the region's premier league. You could make some arguments for rating certain state championships lower than others, but the top eight teams in each region should be the regional semifinalists and the top four teams in the regional premier league. Teams in the National League should be rewarded if they finish in the top four as well.

The problem with gotsoccer is teams can play in 8 tournaments a year and achieve one or two good results and move far up the ladder. I like the idea of ranking tournaments based on the competition involved, but there are ridiculous numbers of points given out to teams that play great for two days.

Development of players is sacrificed at times because these teams are playing an absurd number of games. Placing greater emphasis on league and regional results would allow teams to focus on development towards 1-3 major competitions.

Comment

If you win your region you, should be ranked top four in the country plain and simple.
                              Why?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X