Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girls - Team Chemistry

This spring I've seen opportunities missed that seemed deliberate. In other words, players who won't pass to specific team mates, despite being the best option. The group I'm watching is U12 blue (where my daughter plays) but have also seen it at younger ages. I'm hoping that/wondering if this is a maturity issue girls grow out of?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This spring I've seen opportunities missed that seemed deliberate. In other words, players who won't pass to specific team mates, despite being the best option. The group I'm watching is U12 blue (where my daughter plays) but have also seen it at younger ages. I'm hoping that/wondering if this is a maturity issue girls grow out of?
    Grow out of!? Haa, it only gets worse as the girls get older!

Comment

At least through U15, I would have to agree that it gets worse. Teammates will say "man on" when no one is there and not yell "man on" when someone is.

Comment

That's why you should only have boys.

Comment

I have seen this too at the U12 level - this one similar example happened several times in one game: girl was bringing the ball up the field and was getting to the point where she would be surrounded by 2 or more players. Each time a teammate came up from behind and vocally called for the ball to be passed back. Each time, the request was ignored, the girl continued to play on, and quickly lost possession. Clearly "pass back" was the best option.

At first I thought the "offender" deliberately did not pass-back was because she did not really like the potential receiver of the pass. But the more I thought about it, the more I believe that it is inexperience and "quasi-selfish" play. I don't mean that the player is deliberately selfish person... I think that this girl truly thought that she could make a move and break through several defenders... and passing backwards seems counterintuitive.

Therefore - in this instance - I am going to go with the naive and optimistic view that the lack of pass was due to inexperience and not pettiness.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonSoccerDad View Post
            I have seen this too at the U12 level - this one similar example happened several times in one game: girl was bringing the ball up the field and was getting to the point where she would be surrounded by 2 or more players. Each time a teammate came up from behind and vocally called for the ball to be passed back. Each time, the request was ignored, the girl continued to play on, and quickly lost possession. Clearly "pass back" was the best option.

At first I thought the "offender" deliberately did not pass-back was because she did not really like the potential receiver of the pass. But the more I thought about it, the more I believe that it is inexperience and "quasi-selfish" play. I don't mean that the player is deliberately selfish person... I think that this girl truly thought that she could make a move and break through several defenders... and passing backwards seems counterintuitive.

Therefore - in this instance - I am going to go with the naive and optimistic view that the lack of pass was due to inexperience and not pettiness.
            As they get older, assume it's cliques; some times you are correct that it's just lack of field sense.

Comment

You ever coach twins? always looking for each other on the field. They only trusted each other, and no one else.

Comment

This can be an issue at the older ages as well. There was a debate on this thread recently about whether the player who failed to pass was selfish or just didn't have sufficient vision to make the pass. This was at the U17 level.

Comment

Can we assume that at the younger ages, it's lack of understanding? And at the older ages, it's cliques, etc. Where does the coaching come into play in all of this?

Perhaps it makes a good case for keeping groups that work well together and building proper chemistry. Rather than the alternative.

Comment

That's why you should only have boys.
                    I hate to be sexist but I think you're right.

Comment

Can we assume that at the younger ages, it's lack of understanding? And at the older ages, it's cliques, etc. Where does the coaching come into play in all of this?

Perhaps it makes a good case for keeping groups that work well together and building proper chemistry. Rather than the alternative.
                      Perhaps it's more SELFISH than cliques??

Comment

I don't know that it is gender specific, although it certainly seems as though. I always liked (not!) when a player has the ball and will force the pass into the crowd rather than to the open player screaming her head off for the pass. Nine times out of ten it's not done deliberately to avoid giving the ball to the open player, but to share the ball with a friend who just happens to be surrounded by players from the opposing team. The argument is girls are just as competitive as boys, but I think this is a good example that they are not and that playing the game is a matter of relationships with teammates.

Not all girls are this way. Some do see the open player and recognize that option, but this behavior is very common with girls teams, especially young girls teams. I also think girls do not understand the use of space on the field. Even when not playing the ball to a friend I am just amazed at the number of girls who will play the ball into a crowd time after time after time rather than utilize the space on the field. It is almost like some supernatural force causes them to do it.

Comment

I hate to be sexist but I think you're right.
                          Ask the coaches of girls though their opinions of why they coach girls instead of boys and they will tell you that girls teams are just easier to coach once you recognize there are differences to coaching boys and learn how to put those differences to use for the benefit of the team and the players.

Comment

Kids make similar decisions at all age levels and gender. Sometimes the decision is warranted, sometimes not depending on game situation and players involved.

One example would be on a team that I have observed closely recently. There is a player who simply has difficulty controlling the ball under pressure. The ball will magically disappear out of bounds or bounce away from the player almost without fail as pressure arrives. While the player is developing the skills and mentality to cope with this reaction, what is a teammate to do in a competitive situation? Passing to the player will almost inevitably result in a turnover. (Background: This is an older age group, > U16, and the coach plays the individual up due to support issues). So, the result is to look off and wait for someone else in competitive games.

How to deal with this? Hard to say. The player needs touches to improve, but in competitive situations it can be a lethal disadvantage. Thoughts?

Comment

Nipping in the bud the cliques that can easily form on a girls team is one of the first steps toward harmony and harmony on a girls team can take that team a long way. Just think of teams that fall apart because they are sniping at one another whether it's during a game or during a season. If a coach thinks he can motivate girls by pitting one against the other, he may find himself on the fast track to seeing his team come undone at some point.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X