Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

player’s murder lends lessons

Just something else to worry about..............

Virginia lacrosse player’s murder lends lessons

Article Written By Jahmal Corner, ESNN
    She was someone’s daughter; someone’s friend.

She could have been yours.

Yeardley Love was laid to rest on Saturday in a funeral service that was held just a few weeks before she was set to graduate from Virginia.

All was cut short when the 22-year-old Cavaliers lacrosse player was found beaten to death Monday, May 3, leaving a member of the men’s lacrosse team held on first-degree murder charges.

It’s a shocking story that has reverberated around the nation and especially resounded with young female athletes.

Head Coach Steve Swanson contacted all his incoming freshmen after the tragedy.Tragic stories like this one can impale one's sense of safety, and for some individuals in particular this story will truly hit home.

In just a few months, Gloria Douglas, Molly Menchel, Mary Morgan, Churchill O’Connell and Amber Fry will all join the Virginia women’s soccer program.

You think they aren’t cognizant of Yeardley’s story?

“It makes me a little fearful considering it was such a tragic event,” Fry said. “I never imagined anything along these lines would ever occur and I was quite shocked and upset by the news. Thinking about this upcoming year and knowing I will be there in two months - it’s definitely having an affect on me.”

And that might not be a bad thing.

There isn’t much good that comes from a young woman having her life violently taken, but at the very least maybe it can help future young ladies enjoy a safe college experience.

Fry said that Cavaliers coach Steve Swanson sent a heartfelt email to her and the rest of the incoming recruits, showing concern for their safety as well as their mental and emotional well-being.

And while this particular incident happened to unfold at Virginia, it could have occurred anywhere.

The Yeardley Love story has reached the young person in a way a parent cannot – for all their well-intentioned advice and parting wisdom – and in some cases, validated what parents have been imploring all along.

“I talked to my parents about it and how awful it was, and they just told me to always make sure to tell people when anything is going on with me,” Fry said. “They said to always be open about things that are occurring or threats that might put me in danger - to let people know and get help because something bad could happen.

“I am not afraid that something like this will happen again, but I am going to be more cautious for myself and my teammates this year.”

Thanks FSM.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    Working...
    X