Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Davies misses the cut

I know someone already created a thread on this (What is he thinking?) but I thought a thread with a more obvious title was warranted...
    http://www.ussoccer.com/Tournaments/...er/Roster.aspx

Not that anyone cares, but here is my take on this...

Leaving Charlie Davies off the US 30-man preliminary World Cup roster really isn’t that much of a surprise. The man was nearly killed in a car accident that, if you’ve ever seen photos of the wreckage, it really is a miracle that anyone got out of it alive. But leaving Davies off the roster is disappointing because of the promise he was showing leading up to the accident, and the hope that we had of him completing his remarkable comeback in time to join the team on the world’s greatest sporting stage. Now, there is no chance of that happening, as Bradley must select his final 23-man roster from the 30 on the preliminary roster.

Fans live and die on stuff like this, especially in the modern age of instant information, and we have all been led to believe that Davies was really far ahead in his recovery, and he is still shattering expectations even with his omission. But was he ready to return to top-flight soccer? Was he ready for the World Cup? Clearly, Bradley thinks the answer is no, and he’s turned his attention to other players who he feels will be physically capable of contributing to the team.

Sochaux, Davies’ French club, also feels he isn’t quite ready to return, as the club president said weeks ago that Davies wouldn’t feature for the team again this season. So there has to be something to that. If Bradley believed there was a snowball’s chance in South Africa in June of Davies contributing to the team, you can be damn sure that Davies would have been on the 30-man roster. Maybe if the tournament was in July, hell even if it started in late June, Davies would have been called in to the team. I don’t think Bradley is the man to lead US Soccer to the promised land, but I have to believe he’s not that stupid. Davies simply must not be ready to perform, and that fact burns American soccer fans who don’t want to accept it.

At the same time, I have to question Bradley’s thinking because I am a fan, and I love storybook endings. Sure, there is less than a month until the World Cup, but are any of you really willing to completely write Charlie Davies off? The man came back from a lacerated bladder, fractured right tibia and femur, a fractured elbow, and facial injuries, and he seems to have mentally recovered from being in an accident that killed another person. He might not have been driving, but that still has to mess with your head. I honestly believe that Charlie Davies will be “fit” by the time the US takes the field against England on June 12th. Match fit? Hard to say that with complete confidence because he won’t have played in a match since before the accident, but fully recovered? Yes, and I say that because Davies has already proven his ability to surpass expectations.

So here is the big question for me: why not put on the 30-man roster? You don’t have to take him, and seven of the people you put on there without him aren’t coming anyway. Here are the forwards on the list: Jozy Altidore, Edson Buddle, Brian Ching, Clint Dempsey (who is listed as a forward but plays a lot of midfield), Robbie Findley, Herculez Gomez, and Eddie Johnson. Clearly, seven forwards are not going to South Africa. If we assume all stay healthy, Altidore and Dempsey are locks. Bradley has a major man crush on Ching because even though Ching is slow and immobile, he calls him in fresh off a hamstring injury. Buddle, Gomez, and Johnson have all performed well at the club level of late, while Findley has appeared in four games for real Salt Lake in 2010 and tallied exactly ZERO goals. Given that a healthy Davies would be more useful for the US than MORE THAN HALF the forwards on Bradley’s list, doesn’t it make sense that a guy like Findley could be sacrificed for Davies on the 30-man roster?

Apparently Bob Bradley doesn’t think so. Now, when soccer needs all the positive PR it can get and a story like Davies would have been big news, that chance is gone. Davies would have made a huge impact on this team if he completed his comeback in time for the tournament, and I would have been willing to give him that shot as part of the 30-man roster. Now it’s up to other players to step into that role and show us what they are capable of, and Davies will have to wait another four years for his shot. Bob Bradley better hope the US advances out of its group without Davies, because if the team doesn’t advance, especially if Davies is a fully fit spectator, Bradley’s tenure as US head coach is done.

Bradley is an idiot. I hope the US gets slaughtered so his retirement will be forced upon him and then maybe we'll get someone that really knows what they are doing. Klinsmann or Hiddink are my choices.

Comment

Davies would have been a great story, and surely Bradley knows that, and surely Bradley would have added him if he thought there was even a decent chance of him really contributing.

But let's be real, here. Davies isn't playing because he made a terrible decision, and let's remember that someone died. He took himself off the team, and he hasn't played in as much as a scrimmage, right? The WC is weeks away. He was given zero chance of returning after the accident, and for a few weeks folks got excited because he progressed so rapidly. He progressed rapidly compared to where he was at, which was invalid status. He is lucky just to be walking, let alone being fit for WC play. He'll get his chance in 4 years if he deserves it.

Comment

Had Davis not been out at 2 in the morning that fateful October, he would be on his way to South Africa. It's his fault and his fault only

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Bradley is an idiot. I hope the US gets slaughtered so his retirement will be forced upon him and then maybe we'll get someone that really knows what they are doing. Klinsmann or Hiddink are my choices.
          I would guess the US WC team has some excellent physios and trainers and they gave the thumbs down or very cautious guidance. Taking a player who may never play and will certainly not be match fit is just a bad choice, so thought he may be questioned its ridiculous to criticize when you don't have the facts.

Comment

Had Davis not been out at 2 in the morning that fateful October, he would be on his way to South Africa. It's his fault and his fault only
            The night before a NT scrimmage no less. Stupid decision.

Comment

How about Brazil not taking Ronaldinho or Pato to the World Cup?

Comment

Ronaldinho is showing the age. He relies too much on his skills. Pato is overated.

Comment

or France not taking Benziema or Argentina not taking Juan Roman Riquelme

Comment

I agree it sucks to not have Charlie for the World Cup he is an asset to our squad, but I would also be terrible for him to rush back. If he came back to early he might expose himself to more injury and just hurt his future more. In my opinion, which I know means nothing it is better for him to stay back for this World Cup.

-Braquets.com

Comment

Ronaldinho is showing the age. He relies too much on his skills. Pato is overated.
                      I hear ya. You never want to rely on your skills too much! Bad choice to leave the playmaker at home. Brazil is going down early this world cup. Some questionable choices all around for sure. Don't look for any Brazilian flash and creativity, he never had it in his game and he is not bringing it to South Africa. Dunga was the "General" in his playing days now he is a dolt, his last year for sure.

Comment

Ronaldinho has become too slow

Comment

I would guess the US WC team has some excellent physios and trainers and they gave the thumbs down or very cautious guidance. Taking a player who may never play and will certainly not be match fit is just a bad choice, so thought he may be questioned its ridiculous to criticize when you don't have the facts.
                          Here you have it, I want my crystal ball back.

Davies Slams Sochaux Officials Over World Cup

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010...haux.html?_r=1

Comment

Here you have it, I want my crystal ball back.

Davies Slams Sochaux Officials Over World Cup

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010...haux.html?_r=1
                            This is what I suspected. A few weeks back the Sochaux president made a statement that everyone interpreted as "Charlie won't be ready to play" when it should have been read as "Charlie *will not* play". I can't say I blame them - but the downside is alienating your player.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X