Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do clubs all have tryouts at the same tim

I am interested in having my child tryout for 3 clubs...and now they are all on the same 2 days. Is this crazy or what?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am interested in having my child tryout for 3 clubs...and now they are all on the same 2 days. Is this crazy or what?
    It's intentionally designed this way to limit one's ability to 'shop the field'. If you go go to one, then another, and then another, it would reward the 'best team' because everyone would try out for that team in addition to several backups.

My suggestion is that you go to the try-out of the best team on your list on the first night. Talk to one of the existing player's parents (or ask who is the team manager or most knowledgable parent) and get a feel for the team. Explain your dilemma and if your child has a legit chance/interest, a good coach will tell you that night if your child is good enough for that team. If your child won't make the team or is on the bubble....go to the other try-out the next night.

Additionally, if your child is really good and has been seen in other games & leagues or someone can attest to their skill, the coach may offer you the chance to go to some practices for an evaluation.

Comment

What you need to do is contact each of the teams you are interested in and see if your child can attend a practice or two. This does a couple of things for you.

1. Allows you and your child to get the flavor of the club.

2. Gives your child a better chance of making the team you are the most interested in. If the coach has already spent some time with your child he/she is more likely to pick someone they are familiar with.

I did exactly that and it worked out great. Good luck - and remember it's all about having fun.

Comment

Do your kid a favor and steer clear of NEFC. Then you'll have time for the real teams.

Comment

Funny, I was just there....and that is why I'm now looking.

Comment

Funny, I was just there....and that is why I'm now looking.
            You are not serious......

Comment

What you need to do is contact each of the teams you are interested in and see if your child can attend a practice or two. This does a couple of things for you.

1. Allows you and your child to get the flavor of the club.

2. Gives your child a better chance of making the team you are the most interested in. If the coach has already spent some time with your child he/she is more likely to pick someone they are familiar with.

I did exactly that and it worked out great. Good luck - and remember it's all about having fun.
              This is actually very good advice!

Comment

This is actually very good advice!
                It also violates the tryout blackout if they are MAPLE teams.

Comment

Assuming they are already playing on another MAPLE team??

Comment

If the player/parent asks to attend a practice, it does not.

Comment

If the player/parent asks to attend a practice, it does not.
                      You'd better talk with Kathy Irwin about that.

Comment

What age group????

Comment

You'd better talk with Kathy Irwin about that.

A club/coach cannot recruit from another club during the season.

However, it's ALWAYS the players/parents decision on where to play. A club does not have a binding contract that the players cannot leave and go play elsewhere or for that matter, explore and inquire about other options.

Comment

A club/coach cannot recruit from another club during the season.

However, it's ALWAYS the players/parents decision on where to play. A club does not have a binding contract that the players cannot leave and go play elsewhere or for that matter, explore and inquire about other options.
                            There is a period where tryouts are prohibited under MAPLE rules no matter who makes the first phone call. It starts sometime in May (I think maybe around the roster freeze date?) and ends on the first date of permissible tryouts. This is why all the tryouts tend to be the same dates.

Coming to a practice and working out with the team is a tryout. As Kathy Irwin says - if it walks like a duck ...

Up to that blackout period you (the player/parent) can do what you want. And if it is not a MAPLE team then this blackout rule doesn't apply. So NEP, ECNL, etc. have their own rules and there probably aren't blackout periods or prescribed first dates for tryouts in June.

Comment

If a team does not play in MAPLE, it is not governed by MAPLE rules.

I wonder if a team has ever been "caught in the act" by MAPLE, and then they mysteriously end up in MASC or NEP to avoid prosecution.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X