Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parents think daughters great

I have been with a club for a long time. I love when parents think there daughter is so great. Yes she has speed but does not know the game of soccer and cant pass the ball. Speed is good but what happens when she playes an agressive team? I love to hear them brag when I know the minute she gets bumped she falls on the ground and she is not a factor anymore. Yellow card and i just laugh under my breathe.

That narrowed it down to just about every team in the state.

Comment

OhYA.I Have a mother on my dauhters team.She thinks she is such a great soccer player.She is good and fast.What she forgets its a team sport.Me my self would rather have all around girls then mommys super star

Comment

I actually like the slow kid who hangs onto the ball and doesn't pass and the parents think she is the next Mia.

Comment

The slow one looks like shes trying to make something happen.The fast one there she goes.OH she lost it.Maybe the next ten times or maybe shock us and pass it to the wide open player.Maybe just maybe

Comment

Some paretns live thru their daughters soccer experience, and I bet it is because they never had this kind of experience. You know when a parent is living thru their daughter when the kid is involved in eveything that has to do with soccer in the state. Also when they are at every little tournament that is out there. Parents would do anything to ge into any organzations just so there little mia can be seen or part off.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              I have been with a club for a long time. I love when parents think there daughter is so great. Yes she has speed but does not know the game of soccer and cant pass the ball. Speed is good but what happens when she playes an agressive team? I love to hear them brag when I know the minute she gets bumped she falls on the ground and she is not a factor anymore. Yellow card and i just laugh under my breathe.
              Sounds like a positive environment. Just make sure that your daughter doesn't hear all of your complaints. It isn't fair for her to be feeling badly toward her teammates. They really do need to work like a team and not route against each other. If the player you mention is really a problem for the team, then the coach needs to be doing his job better. As far as annoying parents on the sidelines...go stand in the corner. You will enjoy the game much more!

Comment

Parents of young players also need to realize that kids mature at different ages. Players that won't share the ball at U12 or U13 are often acting appropriately for their development, rather than physical age. Check back a few years later, and their play has matured, they share the ball, and most, if not all of the parental complaints voiced throughout this thread have disappeared. Have a little patience, find a coach that understands how kids develop various physical and emotional aspects of themselves at different speeds, and praise the positive improvements of both your child and their teammates. This will create a much healthier all around environment.

Comment

I think it is safe to say that many posters on this site think they have the best players out there in club soccer-
                  the many posts bashing players and clubs clearly proves that point,
                  it only gets worse, get use to it!

Comment

not me...my kid sucks

Comment

This person has been on just about every youth sports team I have ever been involved with. You just hope that the kid can live up to the expectations the parents have created for them. Unfortunately this thread is a perfect example of the typical outcome. The mocking undertone is shameful. Having grown up in an environment where everyone knew who I was I can tell you first hand just how unsettling it is to have a group of adults stand in a huddle obviously talking about you. Do the kid (as well as everyone on the sidelines) a favor, grab the parent and try to tone them down. Then go over to a distant piece of the sidelines, where no one else can hear you bitch and moan to yourself, and silently let your criticisms fly. In the long run you and everyone else will be much happier.
                      Last edited by beentheredonethat; 05-05-2010, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Parents of young players also need to realize that kids mature at different ages. Players that won't share the ball at U12 or U13 are often acting appropriately for their development, rather than physical age.
                        Or not.

By U13, players should be trained to make decisions quicker. Most of the time, the failure to "share the ball" comes from the fact that the player's first touch or decision making is poor. They need to take a touch or two to look up and decide what to do next. By that time the passing lanes and the space is closed and the only only option is to take their mark on. They should be coached to decide what they are going to do with the ball before their first touch and have a second or third option in mind should their touch be poor or the anticipated passing lane be closed.

Comment

We are all biased and see the world the way we want to.

In general, there is no problem if a parent has an unrealistic view of their child's place on a team. That is normal.

The problems come up when such parents ruin their child's experience via these unrealistic views. Specifically, the parent cannot separate their own ego from their child's accomplishments and the teams accomplishments become an overriding part of the parents life. We see evidence of this daily on this board.

The second issue is when such parents undermine the TEAM by their sideline behavior. Specific examples include bad mouthing the coach, the manager, and their child's teammates. Nothing positive for either the team or the parents child EVER comes out of this behavior. Yet we see it all the time. This type of parent is INTOLERABLE and coaches need to set expectations for sideline behavior early and enforce them.

Soccer is the ultimate team sport. Kids learn important lessons about how to make a team stronger than its unit parts through positive support. Parents who cannot direct their words and behavior and teach their kids to do the same should have their kids play tennis or gymnastics where its all about the individual.

Comment

Or not.

By U13, players should be trained to make decisions quicker. Most of the time, the failure to "share the ball" comes from the fact that the player's first touch or decision making is poor. They need to take a touch or two to look up and decide what to do next. By that time the passing lanes and the space is closed and the only only option is to take their mark on. They should be coached to decide what they are going to do with the ball before their first touch and have a second or third option in mind should their touch be poor or the anticipated passing lane be closed.
                            Hey the US national teams haven't figured that out yet and you expect a 13 year old?

Comment

Or not.

By U13, players should be trained to make decisions quicker.
                              12 and 13 year olds are just exiting the "me" years, some earlier than others, and regardless of how "coached up", some kids will lag. Intelligent coaches address the situation positively. Parental sideline coaching and complaining on the ride home is anything but.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X