Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B team the best choice?

"Mine plays on the "B" level team for well known club (not NEFC) Parents think the coach on this "B" team is better than the "A" team coach. Actually it's pretty obvious. Much more developmental training, everyone gets a lot of playing time. The "B" team has come much further along than the "A" team. Still not as good, but players and team chemistry have continually improved and the players are having fun while getting better. Some of us asked why the coach has the "B" team and the reply was that he prefers that. So "B" isn't always so bad at all."

"Found this wonderful post buried in here. No one commented on it, or course, because it made such a great point without putting down any particular club or coach.

I wish every parent of a B team player would read this. I've mostly had A team players, and the pressure on the Div. 1 team is huge in any Maple club, even when you really, really like the coaches, which we always have. For the vast majority of club players, a B team with a great coach is the best of both worlds. The A team? Well, careful what you wish for and all that...."

Thought this deserved its own thread. I'm sure it varies hugely from club to club, but perhaps the "B Team" deserves a lot more respect, not to mention a serious second look, from more club players and their parents.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    "Mine plays on the "B" level team for well known club (not NEFC) Parents think the coach on this "B" team is better than the "A" team coach. Actually it's pretty obvious. Much more developmental training, everyone gets a lot of playing time. The "B" team has come much further along than the "A" team. Still not as good, but players and team chemistry have continually improved and the players are having fun while getting better. Some of us asked why the coach has the "B" team and the reply was that he prefers that. So "B" isn't always so bad at all."

"Found this wonderful post buried in here. No one commented on it, or course, because it made such a great point without putting down any particular club or coach.

I wish every parent of a B team player would read this. I've mostly had A team players, and the pressure on the Div. 1 team is huge in any Maple club, even when you really, really like the coaches, which we always have. For the vast majority of club players, a B team with a great coach is the best of both worlds. The A team? Well, careful what you wish for and all that...."

Thought this deserved its own thread. I'm sure it varies hugely from club to club, but perhaps the "B Team" deserves a lot more respect, not to mention a serious second look, from more club players and their parents.
    Depends on the age of the player. Much better opportunities for the A team at the older ages.

Comment

Depends on the age of the player. Much better opportunities for the A team at the older ages.
      It will be interesting to do a comparison of where Stars United and Star Rovers players end up to see if your theory pans out. It might also answer the question in the other thread about the travel to tournaments teams do.

Comment

most clubs that have B teams have admirable intentions, usually they see it as a feeder for their A team and place to play for players they have to cut.

In practice though, it often works out that the B team usually gets an underqualified coach, and less resources than the club's A team.

A lot of parents and players find that playing for an A teamof another club is far better than the B team.

There are exceptions to this of course, but I'd say the rule is more that the B team experience isn't all that great. There are a couple of clubs that do it right, but even within those clubs it often varies from B team to B team.

Comment

It will be interesting to do a comparison of where Stars United and Star Rovers players end up to see if your theory pans out. It might also answer the question in the other thread about the travel to tournaments teams do.
          Over the years Rovers have travelled as much if not more than United. Except for the ECNL trip to Seattle which is happening for the first time this year, you won't learn much about the travel "issue." The ECNL requirement of the trip to Seattle for all teams is pretty tough. However, this year the U17 United has already qualified for top four and they're actually playing for the first ECNL championship which would be, if nothing else, historic.

Comment

most clubs that have B teams have admirable intentions, usually they see it as a feeder for their A team and place to play for players they have to cut.

In practice though, it often works out that the B team usually gets an underqualified coach, and less resources than the club's A team.

A lot of parents and players find that playing for an A teamof another club is far better than the B team.

There are exceptions to this of course, but I'd say the rule is more that the B team experience isn't all that great. There are a couple of clubs that do it right, but even within those clubs it often varies from B team to B team.
            I would have to agree. The coaching can be second rate when compared to the A side. IMO, it is generally more advantageous to the club (more $$$) than it is for the players. However, if you have a developing player who's not A material yet, it's great to have the option. As noted, will vary from club to club, team to team. Parents should enter these situations with their eyes wide open, rather than place all trust in the promises of the DOC.

Comment

I would have to agree. The coaching can be second rate when compared to the A side. IMO, it is generally more advantageous to the club (more $$$) than it is for the players. However, if you have a developing player who's not A material yet, it's great to have the option. As noted, will vary from club to club, team to team. Parents should enter these situations with their eyes wide open, rather than place all trust in the promises of the DOC.
              My son plays on a MAPLE D1 team, but I can think of a coach of one B team with whom I spoke last year. First of all, he knew a lot about development, & was completely honest about the obstacles facing his team, which he wanted to help move up to D1. He was very candid, very knowledgeable about players strengths & weaknesses, and while I allowed my son to make up his mind about where he wanted to play, I wouldn't have had a problem with him playing for this particular coach in D2 if he had decided that's what he wanted.

Comment

The better players are on the A team so obviously the A team players will on average end up at higher tier soccer schools. This is already evident. United has kids going to BC and Maryland. No top tier D1 soccer schools for Rovers. Among the Ivies, Rovers has a kid going to Dartmouth while United has one going to Harvard and one to Yale. Both teams have kids going to UMass, Villanova.

Comment

The better players are on the A team so obviously the A team players will on average end up at higher tier soccer schools. This is already evident. United has kids going to BC and Maryland. No top tier D1 soccer schools for Rovers. Among the Ivies, Rovers has a kid going to Dartmouth while United has one going to Harvard and one to Yale. Both teams have kids going to UMass, Villanova.
                  I wouldn't agree that it is "obvious" that the better players are all on the A team. Take the bottom 3-4 players from the A team and top 3-4 from the B team and put them in tryout before neutral evalautors. I'd be willing to bet at least 2 move up and 2 move down. In my experience, this holds true for almost any A/B arrangement and tryout, it is simply too hard to consistently pick the "best" of that lot when there isn't much difference on any given day.

Comment

I wouldn't agree that it is "obvious" that the better players are all on the A team. Take the bottom 3-4 players from the A team and top 3-4 from the B team and put them in tryout before neutral evalautors. I'd be willing to bet at least 2 move up and 2 move down. In my experience, this holds true for almost any A/B arrangement and tryout, it is simply too hard to consistently pick the "best" of that lot when there isn't much difference on any given day.

Yes, of course there is some overlap in talent. In the case of the Rovers there might even be a little more overlap than usual for an A-B team comparison because the Rovers were initially formed as the FCGB A team. Nonetheless, only a small number of Rovers players (maybe 3-4 at max?) would start for United.

If you compare the bottoms of the two teams' rosters, the difference is even more striking. Non-starters for Stars U are committing to pretty good D1 schools, not so much with Rovers.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;303008]"Mine plays on the "B" level team for well known club (not NEFC) Parents think the coach on this "B" team is better than the "A" team coach. Actually it's pretty obvious. Much more developmental training, everyone gets a lot of playing time. The "B" team has come much further along than the "A" team. Still not as good, but players and team chemistry have continually improved and the players are having fun while getting better. Some of us asked why the coach has the "B" team and the reply was that he prefers that. So "B" isn't always so bad at all."

If this is the club I think it is, the B team coach will be the A team coach in the fall. When his daughter moves up to the A team.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;303181]

If this is the club I think it is, the B team coach will be the A team coach in the fall. When his daughter moves up to the A team.
                        GO ATHLETIC!

Comment

At the younger ages, go with the better coach. The B team might have some advantages with less travel, more emphasis on development, etc. At the older ages, A team would be better if playing in college is a goal.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;303181]

Do you want to play for a team with a parent coach?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;303191]

Do you want to play for a team with a parent coach?
                              My experience is that there quite few parent coaches who are superior to "professional coaches." Not the rule by any means, but I have come across enough very good parent coaches and poor professional coaches to not necessarily make such a broad distinction as to you seem to do.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X