Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trainers/credentials

What is the best way to evaluate a trainer's credentials? What is the minimum educational requirement? I'm not sure if a master's degree is necessary. Would you go with an individual or a gym/organization? There are so many unqualified posers that we want to be sure we get someone who can actually administer appropriate medical care, etc should something happen. Reading training routines off the Internet is not enough.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    What is the best way to evaluate a trainer's credentials? What is the minimum educational requirement? I'm not sure if a master's degree is necessary. Would you go with an individual or a gym/organization? There are so many unqualified posers that we want to be sure we get someone who can actually administer appropriate medical care, etc should something happen. Reading training routines off the Internet is not enough.
    What is the best way to evaluate a parents credentials? What is the minimum educational requirement? I'm not sure if a master's degree is necessary. Would you go with a single child parent or one who has two or more kids? There are so many unqualified parents that we want to be sure we get someone who can actually control their child, etc should something happen. Listening to other parents is not enough

Comment

Best way to evaluate a trainer is to go and watch them to form an opinion yourself. I find that quality is in the eye of the beholder. Even though you may not feel qualified to judge it, a lot will actually depend upon what your expectations are. Here is what I look for:

Are they organized and do they move the session along? Is it clear that there is a plan for the session or is it being made up on the fly? Kids have a very short attention span and the younger they are the less time you can spend in a drill. Is everyone moving and getting reps or are they standing in line fooling around? Are the drills being switched every every 3-4 minutes or are they lasting 15-20? Is there an emphasis on getting practice reps or is the pace slow?

Are they a teacher or activity monitors? When they run a drill do you see them stop it and teach players or do they simply let the drill run expecting the drill to do the teaching for them? Know that repetition is the key to training and that for every bad rep it takes something like four good reps to reverse and rebuild a good habit.

Do they give both positive and negative feedback or are they just a cheeleader. I like coaches who have read the "One Minute Manager" and give a steady stream of 1-minute praises and 1-minute reprimands. Do you hear them telling players when technically they do something wrong and when they do something right or is everything encouraging and related to effort? Do you see them talking to the players individually giving them feedback?

Comment

Originally posted by beentheredonethat View Post
        Best way to evaluate a trainer is to go and watch them to form an opinion yourself. I find that quality is in the eye of the beholder. Even though you may not feel qualified to judge it, a lot will actually depend upon what your expectations are. Here is what I look for:

Are they organized and do they move the session along? Is it clear that there is a plan for the session or is it being made up on the fly? Kids have a very short attention span and the younger they are the less time you can spend in a drill. Is everyone moving and getting reps or are they standing in line fooling around? Are the drills being switched every every 3-4 minutes or are they lasting 15-20? Is there an emphasis on getting practice reps or is the pace slow?

Are they a teacher or activity monitors? When they run a drill do you see them stop it and teach players or do they simply let the drill run expecting the drill to do the teaching for them? Know that repetition is the key to training and that for every bad rep it takes something like four good reps to reverse and rebuild a good habit.

Do they give both positive and negative feedback or are they just a cheeleader. I like coaches who have read the "One Minute Manager" and give a steady stream of 1-minute praises and 1-minute reprimands. Do you hear them telling players when technically they do something wrong and when they do something right or is everything encouraging and related to effort? Do you see them talking to the players individually giving them feedback?
        Good info, thx. One remaining concern is the trainer's ability to deal with an injury should it happen. We worked with one trainer who was qualified [by that, I mean had all the necessary degrees] and was able to help when my child was injured during a session. I guess this would be more likely at a facility and not on a random field.

Comment

Good info, thx. One remaining concern is the trainer's ability to deal with an injury should it happen. We worked with one trainer who was qualified [by that, I mean had all the necessary degrees] and was able to help when my child was injured during a session. I guess this would be more likely at a facility and not on a random field.
          All should know basic first aid and CPR. Very few will have much beyond that but most have been around long enough and been injured enough to deal with all but the most severe injuries until you can get your kid to an ER or Dr's office. If you play MAPLE, at least one sideline parent is likely to have an MD and 3+ JD's.... Longer term rehab is best handled by an ortho in conjunction with you child's trainer/coach who is aware of and supports the game plan

Comment

As the father of goalkeepers, this is a huge concern. I went to view a keeper training session not all that long ago where the guy had them jumping over hurdles into an extension saves for just about the entire workout. Talk about a high risk session. Even if you do land correctly there is still a risk of injury. I wouldn't put my kids with that type of guy even if he was the second coming.
            Last edited by beentheredonethat; 04-29-2010, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Trainer discipline

My daughter has worked with trainers at a facility for several years, in small groups. She has been happy with most trainers but her pet peeve is other kids that come not wanting to work hard, and often ask for light work, etc. The worst part is having a trainer that allows them to ease up and have an easy session. Most important thing for her is a trainer that will motivate and not fool around and stick to a planned workout.

Comment

Which kind of "Trainer" are you asking about? An Athletic Trainer who helps treat injuries or a soccer trainer who instructs and develops players? It sounds like the discussion is going in both directions.

Comment

Originally posted by teskicks View Post
                  Which kind of "Trainer" are you asking about? An Athletic Trainer who helps treat injuries or a soccer trainer who instructs and develops players? It sounds like the discussion is going in both directions.
                  From the first post I thought this was about "Athletic Trainer who helps treat injuries" and rehab, exercises, conditioning, strength, speed work etc...

This person should have completed college for athletic training or physical sports therapy (bachelors) and worked a year or two in the field at least. The pro sports teams hire these right out of college and work them like dogs for little pay. They do get good experience with athletes and usually are looking for better jobs (or second jobs) after the pro teams burn them out.

Comment

From the first post I thought this was about "Athletic Trainer who helps treat injuries" and rehab, exercises, conditioning, strength, speed work etc...

This person should have completed college for athletic training or physical sports therapy (bachelors) and worked a year or two in the field at least. The pro sports teams hire these right out of college and work them like dogs for little pay. They do get good experience with athletes and usually are looking for better jobs (or second jobs) after the pro teams burn them out.
                    I think one on one or small group training is mostly a waste of money. Circuit weight training 3 x per week will give you all the muscle tone that you need. It is low impact and very effective. Join planet fitness or some other facility for 25 bucks a month. The best way to be in shape aerobically is to play alot of soccer or whatever sport you happen to be playing at the time. It doesn't take a genius to figure out if your interval training is efficient. Anybody with a third grade math education can measure pulse at interval. Number not high enough? Work a little hard. Resting rate too high. Alter your intervals. This isn't friggin brain surgery. I swear to god if PT Barnum were born today he'd be one of the leaders of youth sports franchises by the age of 20. Take the money you are going to spend on a personal trainer and invest in a math tutor or a series of Kaplan courses. Better yet - put it into some muni bonds that earn 5% and turn that $20k into $45k for college in 18 years.

Comment

Originally posted by beentheredonethat View Post
                      As the father of goalkeepers, this is a huge concern. I went to view a keeper training session not all that long ago where the guy had them jumping over hurdles into an extension saves for just about the entire workout. Talk about a high risk session. Even if you do land correctly there is still a risk of injury. I wouldn't put my kids with that type of guy even if he was the second coming.
                      That is actually a fantastic drill- my daughter extended her diving reach significantly after a couple sessions like that. Of course, the entire session might be a bit much but I guarantee they will learn proper skills to avoid getting hurt!

Comment

That is actually a fantastic drill- my daughter extended her diving reach significantly after a couple sessions like that. Of course, the entire session might be a bit much but I guarantee they will learn proper skills to avoid getting hurt!
                        Different strokes for different folks, where you see something of value I see danger.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X