Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Average playing time expectations?

Does anyone know what a kid can expect for playing time on a club team? I'm very new to soccer but I don't understand playing time and how it is divided up for 11v11. ANyone have any thoughts?

Is your kid good?

Comment

The answer to this question really depends on age. If your child is U11 then they really should be playing at least half the game. There are teams that do not substitute defenders, but everyone else subs.

About U14 playing time becomes more ability based on most teams although most good coaches manage to get every player in for relevant minutes.

About U16 playing time becomes even more unequal but still every player should play

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        The answer to this question really depends on age. If your child is U11 then they really should be playing at least half the game. There are teams that do not substitute defenders, but everyone else subs.

About U14 playing time becomes more ability based on most teams although most good coaches manage to get every player in for relevant minutes.

About U16 playing time becomes even more unequal but still every player should play
        my child is U12

Comment

Is your kid good?
          Was good, but with no playing time....no confidence

Comment

in my kids case, just moved to a new team, D1, and has to earn playing time. Currently getting 15 minutes a half and quite frankly has to do more to earn more time. The coach is upfront saying "this is where I see you but you need to do x, y and z to stay on the field. The good thing is they focus on those weaknesses in practice and talk about it all the time. It is now up to the player to pick it up.

Comment

in my kids case, just moved to a new team, D1, and has to earn playing time. Currently getting 15 minutes a half and quite frankly has to do more to earn more time. The coach is upfront saying "this is where I see you but you need to do x, y and z to stay on the field. The good thing is they focus on those weaknesses in practice and talk about it all the time. It is now up to the player to pick it up.

is this for club or town?

Comment

If your child is getting 15 minutes per half, hopefully all at once and not that in and out garbage some coaches use, I think that is fair. Sounds like your coach is doing his/her job as a coach.

Comment

If your child is getting 15 minutes per half, hopefully all at once and not that in and out garbage some coaches use, I think that is fair. Sounds like your coach is doing his/her job as a coach.

Sorry, only getting 15 minutes in entire game.

Comment

Was good, but with no playing time....no confidence
                    Are you the same poster with the U12 player? At this point playing time should be earned through the development of good habits on and off the field. Are they paying attention during practice or are they foooling around? Are they showing up for practice and are they on time for practices and games? If the coach is giving them homework, are they doing it? These young players should also be allowed to make mistakes on the field. No player this age should be penalized through playing time for making mistakes, because it does in fact undermine their confidence. Find another time at tryouts if that is the case.

Comment

Are you the same poster with the U12 player? At this point playing time should be earned through the development of good habits on and off the field. Are they paying attention during practice or are they foooling around? Are they showing up for practice and are they on time for practices and games? If the coach is giving them homework, are they doing it? These young players should also be allowed to make mistakes on the field. No player this age should be penalized through playing time for making mistakes, because it does in fact undermine their confidence. Find another time at tryouts if that is the case.
                      Yes I have the U12 player. Never missed a practice or game. Was told she is great in practice but does not apply that on the field...due to lack of confidence. How does one get better on the field if one only plays 15 minutes? Is this standard at all clubs?

Comment

Yes I have the U12 player. Never missed a practice or game. Was told she is great in practice but does not apply that on the field...due to lack of confidence. How does one get better on the field if one only plays 15 minutes? Is this standard at all clubs?
                        Not at U12. I would want all players to see at least 20-25 mins per game at U12.

Comment

Sorry, only getting 15 minutes in entire game.
                          U12 player again? 15 minutes per half is the minimum warranted at this age and at most ages, really, as game time increases as they get older. If a high school age player is willing to remain with a team that is only giving them 15 minutes per game, then that should be their choice to make. Or if the coach is including in their game schedule other games where these types of players will see more playing time, then that would be an acceptable reason to remain with the team. I don't know many coaches though that plan that type of schedule for their teams.

Comment

Is this standard at all clubs? No, this player needs more game time to gain confidence during the games. This appears to be a coach that is applying playing time rules of older players to too young an age group.

Comment

only 15 minutes

Well, I was told by coach. 6 players play the entire game, and then 6 players play about 25 minutes and 6 players play about 15 minutes.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X