Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Player Production in Women’s Soccer

Per Capita Player Production in American Women’s Soccer: On WPS Rosters and Soccer Opportunities

Where do American soccer players come from? The simple answer is California. The more complicated answer offers an intriguing chance for the amateur cultural geographer in me to analyze the rosters of American professional teams—something I did a few weeks ago prior to the MLS season to consider the state of the men’s game, and something I’m doing this week on the women’s side as a nod to the start of the Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS) season.

The idea is that knowing where elite players come from offers a thought-provoking, if imperfect, picture of how the game works for different types of people and places. In this case the general picture suggests some similarities in the geography for male and female American players, but also highlights the peculiar demographics of soccer in the US.

When I analyzed the MLS rosters I suggested four key factors in men’s player production: population, climate, soccer culture, and immigrants. After looking at the WPS roster it strikes me that for women’s player production I have to swap ‘social class’ for ‘immigrants’ in that equation; American women’s soccer seems disproportionately represented by players from relatively wealthy suburban areas, while relatively underrepresented by players that are first or second generation immigrants.

Take Connecticut for example. The state with the highest per capita income in the US also has the highest per capita women’s player production of any US state (by my calculation there are 6 WPS players from among Connecticut’s 3.5 million people). On the MLS side, in contrast, all Connecticut has to offer is the Revolution’s Pat Phelan (and even he was born in Houston and went to prep school in Massachusetts). Certainly socio-economic status is not the only thing going on in Connecticut; there might well be some kind of ‘Kristine Lilly’ effect, for example, where her impressive longevity and prominence has inspired her younger fellow Connecticuters. But across my analysis there are suggestions that opportunities in women’s soccer are based on a combination of class and culture that probably limits the American game.

But I’ll explain my analysis more first and let you interpret the data for yourselves. And then I’ll explain a bit more about what I think it all means.

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/wp-con...te-595x386.jpg

As when I looked at MLS rosters a few weeks ago, the goal here was to identify where players spent their formative years. But what does “formative” mean for a soccer player? I’m going teen years (pre-college) on the logic that it is during that stage of life when people decide whether to fully commit to the game. I realize, however, that an argument could be made for other stages.

I suspect, for example, that college is particularly important for women’s player production—more so than for men. Whereas MLS rosters are loaded with teenagers who never bothered with college, or players who went for a year or two, the American contingent of WPS players almost all played four years of college soccer. In fact, the only teenager in WPS is Swiss import Ramona Bachmann—who turns twenty in December. In age, and in other ways, WPS American players are more homogeneous than the American players in MLS (there are, for example, only seven American players in WPS over age 30).

Nevertheless, because college programs are often more of a geographical mish-mash, the focus here is on states and metropolitan areas as hubs for youth development in American women’s soccer. It was somewhat easier to find that data for WPS players than it was for MLS players both because the WPS web-site is much more informative and because there are fewer women’s players. Using the WPS list of players as of 2010 opening day, and cross-checking with college player profiles and with Wikipedia, I ended up with a spreadsheet of where 137 American players in WPS spent their adolescence. As I noted when looking at the men’s players, I’m sure I got a few minor details wrong—but with large enough numbers the statistical inferences can still be right.

By State

As with the men’s side, players from California seem to predominate in American women’s soccer. I count 33 Californians in WPS (of which 24 are from ‘Cal South’ – either greater Los Angeles or greater San Diego), with Illinois second among US states at 10 and New Jersey third at 9. Of course, California is also the most populous US state (with about 36.5 million people), so in some ways it is more interesting to consider how other big states do not seem to be producing proportionate numbers of players. I was surprised to find, for example, that Texas only has 5 players in WPS despite being the second most populous US state (with about 23.5 million in population), while Florida only has 4 players in WPS despite being the fourth most populous (with about 18 million people).

The other states in the top 5 of population do a bit better despite much less soccer-friendly weather: New York State has produced 8 players from just over 19 million people, while Illinois has 10 players from 13 million. Those are ratios are not bad on a relative basis, but they are lower than the other, smaller, states with the highest women’s player production per capita:

Connecticut: 6 players, 3.5 million people
    Hawaii: 2 players, 1.3 million people
    Colorado: 6 players, 4.7 million people
    New Jersey: 10 players, 8.7 million people
    On the other side of things, the largest states to produce no players include:

Tennessee (pop. 6 million)
    Kentucky (pop. 4.2 million)
    Oklahoma (pop. 3.6 million)
    Iowa (pop. 3 million)
    Mississippi (pop. 3 million)
    On a per capita basis, of the states that have produced at least one player, the least productive seem to be:

Maryland (1 player from 5.6 million people)
    Minnesota (1 player from 5.2 million people)
    Michigan (2 players from 10 million people)
    Texas (5 players from 23.5 million people)
    Georgia (2 players from 9.4 million people)
    Florida (4 players from 18 million people)
    By Metropolitan Area

In US Youth Soccer state associations matter, but for club soccer purposes much of the competition level is based upon metropolitan areas—players from New Jersey and Connecticut often depend more on playing in the greater New York area than in their home states, just as players from Northern Virginia and Maryland depend on greater Baltimore-Washington DC. And from that perspective, being expansive in defining the reach of such metropolitan areas, the New York area seems to be about average with 18 WPS players from 22 million in population while the DC agglomeration has only 3 WPS players from 8.3 million (the greater Baltimore-Washington area did much better for men’s players with 12).

Nevertheless, on a per capita basis the East Coast metropolitan areas still don’t compete with other parts of the country:

San Diego has produced 7 players with 3 million in population
    Denver (including Colorado Springs and Fort Collins) has produced 6 players with 3 million in population
    Birmingham, Alabama has 2 players with 1.2 million in population
    Indianapolis has 3 players with 2 million in population
    It may be worth noting here that Denver is the only metropolitan area to be in the top five for both men’s and the women’s player production per capita. Though I wouldn’t have thought of Colorado as America’s soccer hotbed, by my calculations as of 2010 Denver seems to win the title of per capita US soccer capital.

On the other side of things the most notable big metropolitan areas with few WPS players include Houston (with 1 player from almost 6 million in population), Atlanta (with 2 players from almost 6 million), and the Florida cities (Tampa and Orlando have produced one player each despite each being around 3 million in population, while Miami – Fort Lauderdale has produced two from 5.5 million). At risk of pandering to stereotypes, it does seem as though living in the American South is not a good thing for women’s players.

In fact, while North Carolina is certainly not the “Deep South” it does offer an interesting example when contrasting male and female player production. In my analysis of men’s player production North Carolina was impressive: both the greater Raleigh – Durham area and the Greensboro – Winston-Salem area were among the national leaders in player production per capita, and Charlotte had one or two. But on the women’s side only Raleigh – Durham represents (with 2 WPS players from 1.8 million people); the one other WPS player from the state of North Carolina grew up in the Ashville area. That also means that the Charlotte area, with zero players from 2.3 million people, seems to be the largest metropolitan area in the US without any WPS players.

The rest of the poorly represented metropolitan areas are not all in the South; places such as Minneapolis-St. Paul (with 1 player from 3.5 million) and Detroit (with 2 players from 5.3 million) also have low per capita ratios. But for those places the same was true on the men’s side and it seems more easily attributable to Minnesota and Michigan weather. For places such as Memphis Tennessee (which is home to 3 MLS players, but zero WPS players) or Dallas Texas (which is home to 11 MLS players, but only 3 in WPS) it seems more relevant to ask questions about local sport cultures: are girls and women being given the same opportunities to play?

Comment

Equal Opportunity?

Ultimately I suspect opportunity is the key variable in any analysis of patterns in American player development. On both the men’s and women’s side of things, soccer in the US is still disproportionately (though certainly not exclusively) an expensive suburban sport. While there are many players from the greater Chicago, New York, LA areas, for example, there are virtually no players from within the actual city limits.

This seems even more pronounced on the women’s side than on the men’s side; for the women’s game a suburban bias is compounded by factors including: a greater emphasis in the women’s game on college as a route to going pro (with college disproportionately accessible to children from middle and upper class families), a lesser emphasis on women’s soccer in immigrant families, and lingering stereotypes both about gender norms and about who plays women’s soccer.

Still, by highlighting the seeming social class issues in American women’s player production I don’t mean to undermine the talent and hard work of contemporary players: regardless of where WPS players grew up, and regardless of the opportunities they have had, at an individual level all of them have earned a place and their skill is a joy to be appreciated. Becoming an elite player always requires a combination of opportunity, talent, and hard work. But at a national level anyone who cares about American soccer, for which success depends upon a broad and diverse base, would do well to keep in mind something else that requires hard work: creating truly equal opportunities.

(Note: As with the men’s analysis, there ended up being too many specific locales and names to list each individually—but I now have most of them in my spreadsheet. So if anyone is curious about other specific places, players, and proportions, feel free to leave a comment with any queries and I will try to respond)

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2010/0...opportunities/

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        By State

As with the men’s side, players from California seem to predominate in American women’s soccer. I count 33 Californians in WPS (of which 24 are from ‘Cal South’ – either greater Los Angeles or greater San Diego), with Illinois second among US states at 10 and New Jersey third at 9. Of course, California is also the most populous US state (with about 36.5 million people), so in some ways it is more interesting to consider how other big states do not seem to be producing proportionate numbers of players. I was surprised to find, for example, that Texas only has 5 players in WPS despite being the second most populous US state (with about 23.5 million in population), while Florida only has 4 players in WPS despite being the fourth most populous (with about 18 million people).

The other states in the top 5 of population do a bit better despite much less soccer-friendly weather: New York State has produced 8 players from just over 19 million people, while Illinois has 10 players from 13 million. Those are ratios are not bad on a relative basis, but they are lower than the other, smaller, states with the highest women’s player production per capita:

Connecticut: 6 players, 3.5 million people
        Hawaii: 2 players, 1.3 million people
        Colorado: 6 players, 4.7 million people
        New Jersey: 10 players, 8.7 million people
        On the other side of things, the largest states to produce no players include:

Tennessee (pop. 6 million)
        Kentucky (pop. 4.2 million)
        Oklahoma (pop. 3.6 million)
        Iowa (pop. 3 million)
        Mississippi (pop. 3 million)
        On a per capita basis, of the states that have produced at least one player, the least productive seem to be:

Maryland (1 player from 5.6 million people)
        Minnesota (1 player from 5.2 million people)
        Michigan (2 players from 10 million people)
        Texas (5 players from 23.5 million people)
        Georgia (2 players from 9.4 million people)
        Florida (4 players from 18 million people)
        By Metropolitan Area

In US Youth Soccer state associations matter, but for club soccer purposes much of the competition level is based upon metropolitan areas—players from New Jersey and Connecticut often depend more on playing in the greater New York area than in their home states, just as players from Northern Virginia and Maryland depend on greater Baltimore-Washington DC. And from that perspective, being expansive in defining the reach of such metropolitan areas, the New York area seems to be about average with 18 WPS players from 22 million in population while the DC agglomeration has only 3 WPS players from 8.3 million (the greater Baltimore-Washington area did much better for men’s players with 12).

Nevertheless, on a per capita basis the East Coast metropolitan areas still don’t compete with other parts of the country:

San Diego has produced 7 players with 3 million in population
        Denver (including Colorado Springs and Fort Collins) has produced 6 players with 3 million in population
        Birmingham, Alabama has 2 players with 1.2 million in population
        Indianapolis has 3 players with 2 million in population
        It may be worth noting here that Denver is the only metropolitan area to be in the top five for both men’s and the women’s player production per capita. Though I wouldn’t have thought of Colorado as America’s soccer hotbed, by my calculations as of 2010 Denver seems to win the title of per capita US soccer capital.

On the other side of things the most notable big metropolitan areas with few WPS players include Houston (with 1 player from almost 6 million in population), Atlanta (with 2 players from almost 6 million), and the Florida cities (Tampa and Orlando have produced one player each despite each being around 3 million in population, while Miami – Fort Lauderdale has produced two from 5.5 million). At risk of pandering to stereotypes, it does seem as though living in the American South is not a good thing for women’s players.

In fact, while North Carolina is certainly not the “Deep South” it does offer an interesting example when contrasting male and female player production. In my analysis of men’s player production North Carolina was impressive: both the greater Raleigh – Durham area and the Greensboro – Winston-Salem area were among the national leaders in player production per capita, and Charlotte had one or two. But on the women’s side only Raleigh – Durham represents (with 2 WPS players from 1.8 million people); the one other WPS player from the state of North Carolina grew up in the Ashville area. That also means that the Charlotte area, with zero players from 2.3 million people, seems to be the largest metropolitan area in the US without any WPS players.

The rest of the poorly represented metropolitan areas are not all in the South; places such as Minneapolis-St. Paul (with 1 player from 3.5 million) and Detroit (with 2 players from 5.3 million) also have low per capita ratios. But for those places the same was true on the men’s side and it seems more easily attributable to Minnesota and Michigan weather. For places such as Memphis Tennessee (which is home to 3 MLS players, but zero WPS players) or Dallas Texas (which is home to 11 MLS players, but only 3 in WPS) it seems more relevant to ask questions about local sport cultures: are girls and women being given the same opportunities to play?

Very interesting about Maryland. From what I gather they have the highest per capita ratio of obnoxious soccer parents.

Comment

Equal Opportunity?

Ultimately I suspect opportunity is the key variable in any analysis of patterns in American player development. On both the men’s and women’s side of things, soccer in the US is still disproportionately (though certainly not exclusively) an expensive suburban sport. While there are many players from the greater Chicago, New York, LA areas, for example, there are virtually no players from within the actual city limits.

This seems even more pronounced on the women’s side than on the men’s side; for the women’s game a suburban bias is compounded by factors including: a greater emphasis in the women’s game on college as a route to going pro (with college disproportionately accessible to children from middle and upper class families), a lesser emphasis on women’s soccer in immigrant families, and lingering stereotypes both about gender norms and about who plays women’s soccer.

Still, by highlighting the seeming social class issues in American women’s player production I don’t mean to undermine the talent and hard work of contemporary players: regardless of where WPS players grew up, and regardless of the opportunities they have had, at an individual level all of them have earned a place and their skill is a joy to be appreciated. Becoming an elite player always requires a combination of opportunity, talent, and hard work. But at a national level anyone who cares about American soccer, for which success depends upon a broad and diverse base, would do well to keep in mind something else that requires hard work: creating truly equal opportunities.

(Note: As with the men’s analysis, there ended up being too many specific locales and names to list each individually—but I now have most of them in my spreadsheet. So if anyone is curious about other specific places, players, and proportions, feel free to leave a comment with any queries and I will try to respond)

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2010/0...opportunities/
          Interesting but flawed in someway that Im not smart enough to figure out..IMO on the mens side. there is less insentive for men to play soccer vrs the other USA sports Where as Women have basically no other choices.

Comment

In conclusion???
            Can you make a judgement on the quality of training in the areas with the best women's results? Are the coaches better? more educated? Is it because there a more wealthy people in those areas who can in turn build more premier level clubs with solid competition.

What are the New England states to do to help improve their chances of getting players into the professional ranks?

Comment

I think

that the overall message in this stat is this.

Your kid has a better chance of becoming a Congressman or woman than a professional soccer player.

Moral? Spend your money wisely.

Psssssttt. And not on soccer..........

Do you seriously think that encouraging your kids to pursue a career in which a state has 5 to 10 people earning a living in that particular profession is anything other than SHEER INSANITY.

Am I on the only one that sees the lunacy here. Sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Cujo View Post
                that the overall message in this stat is this.

Your kid has a better chance of becoming a Congressman or woman than a professional soccer player.

Moral? Spend your money wisely.

Psssssttt. And not on soccer..........

Do you seriously think that encouraging your kids to pursue a career in which a state has 5 to 10 people earning a living in that particular profession is anything other than SHEER INSANITY.

Am I on the only one that sees the lunacy here. Sheesh.

The same can be said for basically anything, Arts Music etc except for one who aspires to be an overweight sub par ref.. I guess you should have saved all that guitar lesson money too.

Comment

The same can be said for basically anything, Arts Music etc except for one who aspires to be an overweight sub par ref.. I guess you should have saved all that guitar lesson money too.

You possibly can't be that stupid to think that there are scores of other jobs with minimal openings. The only jobs with fewer openings is probably Astronaut or Senator.

There are probably 3,000 to 4,000 musicians earning a living in MA. 250,000 soccer players in MA - 10 jobs. We have more stupid intelligent people in this state than I thought possible.

BTW- I never took guitar lessons. Learned all the scales/chords by practicing 20 hours a week. Try it in your own life. You should practice thinking an equivalent amount of hours weekly. You'll notice a big change in your life almost immediately. When you walk into the corner of a room and can't find your way out - you'll solve that problem in 2 minutes rather than 5.

Comment

You possibly can't be that stupid to think that there are scores of other jobs with minimal openings. The only jobs with fewer openings is probably Astronaut or Senator.

There are probably 3,000 to 4,000 musicians earning a living in MA. 250,000 soccer players in MA - 10 jobs. We have more stupid intelligent people in this state than I thought possible.

BTW- I never took guitar lessons. Learned all the scales/chords by practicing 20 hours a week. Try it in your own life. You should practice thinking an equivalent amount of hours weekly. You'll notice a big change in your life almost immediately. When you walk into the corner of a room and can't find your way out - you'll solve that problem in 2 minutes rather than 5.
                    My point is: kids have dreams and nothing is too over the top to foster that in a child of coarse most, closer to all ,will never accomplish those early dreams but that drive is what teaches kids to deal with life. What makes those jobs so dear is the inability for all to achieve them and if not for the desire or some dumb kids dream those jobs would never be filled or filled with mediocre people
                    I play a few musical instruments speak a few languages and have played every level of soccer in this country. I am usually amused at how pompous you are and sit back and enjoy but felt the need this time to say something.

Comment

My point is: kids have dreams and nothing is too over the top to foster that in a child of coarse most, closer to all ,will never accomplish those early dreams but that drive is what teaches kids to deal with life. What makes those jobs so dear is the inability for all to achieve them and if not for the desire or some dumb kids dream those jobs would never be filled or filled with mediocre people
                      I play a few musical instruments speak a few languages and have played every level of soccer in this country. I am usually amused at how pompous you are and sit back and enjoy but felt the need this time to say something.

My critics in here don't like me because I speak the truth bluntly and the truth hurts.

If I meet 250,000 pairs of parents and tell them that their kid is not going to be a professional soccer player I am going to be right 99.996% of the time.

If you think your kid is going to earn a living playing soccer it is not a dream. It is a fantasy. Learn the difference.

Comment

My critics in here don't like me because I speak the truth bluntly and the truth hurts.

If I meet 250,000 pairs of parents and tell them that their kid is not going to be a professional soccer player I am going to be right 99.996% of the time.

If you think your kid is going to earn a living playing soccer it is not a dream. It is a fantasy. Learn the difference.
                        Who is talking about earning a living? I guarentee you my kids will probably not be pro soccer players, so? And I hope to god they dont play MLS.. If a kid learns to play he can enjoy it all his life, Many people are just discovering the joy of playing soccer now at older ages wishing they played younger .. MLS is not a living nor is WPS, If your kid isnt playing in Europe by 18 those numbers get even smaller. But dont say kids shouldnt learn or aspire, thats just crazy

Comment

Who is talking about earning a living? I guarentee you my kids will probably not be pro soccer players, so? And I hope to god they dont play MLS.. If a kid learns to play he can enjoy it all his life, Many people are just discovering the joy of playing soccer now at older ages wishing they played younger .. MLS is not a living nor is WPS, If your kid isnt playing in Europe by 18 those numbers get even smaller. But dont say kids shouldnt learn or aspire, thats just crazy
                          When did I ever say that? I did say that spending $10k plus per year training your kid is nuts and a waste. Bank the money and spend it on their education. If your kid is one of the top handful of players in the state that is a different story.

If they are that good you will discover it based on other's opinions and not your own.

And if they are that good you won't need to spend $10k a year for them to play.

Comment

Just for fun, here's where the women in the WNT player pool hail from. One thing I notice is that compared with California (est. pop. 37 million), New Jersey (est. pop. 8.7 million) is overrepresented. Another thing is that players' hometowns generally seem to be near top-notch soccer clubs. No surprise there.

Northeast:
                            1. Seymour, Conn.
                            2. Wilton, Conn.
                            3. Basking Ridge, N.J.
                            4. Delran, N.J.
                            5. East Brunswick, N.J.
                            6. Point Pleasant, N.J.
                            7. Upper Montclair, N.J.
                            8. Vineland, N.J.
                            9. Campbell Hall, N.Y.
                            10. Massapequa Park, N.Y.
                            11. Rochester, N.Y.
                            12. Gilbertsville, Pa
                            13. Butler, Pa.

South:
                            1. Birmingham, Ala.
                            2. Satellite Beach, Fla.
                            3. Fayetteville, Ga.
                            4. Bowie, Md.
                            5. Raleigh, N.C.
                            6. Arlington, Texas
                            7. Dumfries, Va.

Midwest:
                            1. Crystal Lake, Ill.
                            2. Naperville, Ill.
                            3. Urbana, Ill.
                            4. Indianapolis, Ind.
                            5. Indianapolis, Ind.
                            6. Bloomfield Hills, Mich.
                            7. Kalamazoo, Mich.
                            8. St. Louis, Mo.
                            9. Cincinnati, Ohio
                            10. Brookfield, Wis.

West:
                            1. Del Mar, Calif.
                            2. Diamond Bar, Calif.
                            3. Elk Grove, Calif.
                            4. Lake Forest, Calif.
                            5. Redding, Calif.
                            6. Redondo Beach, Calif.
                            7. Rolling Hills Est., Calif.
                            8. Lakewood, Colo.
                            9. Kahuku, Hawaii
                            10. Richland, Wash.

Comment

When did I ever say that? I did say that spending $10k plus per year training your kid is nuts and a waste. Bank the money and spend it on their education. If your kid is one of the top handful of players in the state that is a different story.

If they are that good you will discover it based on other's opinions and not your own.

And if they are that good you won't need to spend $10k a year for them to play.
                              CUJU - you keep saying the same thing. But these are not mutually exclusive. Many, many people can aford $10K a year for a kid's soccer playing (Club dues and travel to/from tournaments for the family) and still afford 4 years or more of college at a great private school. So who are you preaching to. I think the start of this thread - an odd analysis imo - included a note that it appears that women's soccer is skewed toward upper income areas.

There have been several threads on this forum about college and about what parents hope to get out of the soccer experience for their kids. I would say overwhelmingly and happily the posts were NOT about college scholarships or careers in soccer, but about focus, hard work, overcoming obsticles, achievements and staying out of trouble.

So, who are you preaching to here? I agree with you that IF you are looking for your kid to make it to the pros in soccer (or any sport for that matter) you are likely wasting your money because you are right about the statistics for achieveing that. But I think finally we have concluded that there is only one club in this state that actually sells itself as the trip to college road to be on. Even some of those have been enlightened. Most of the people in this state are quite happy supporting our kids passions and using it for life lessons and individual improvement and development.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X