Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAPLE stats?

Quick question: why does MAPLE not publish scoring leaders for U13 or U14 and higher?

Also, would it benefit to hire an official scorer for each game and track team stats like sog/sag/corners and so on? Most soccer participants would consider that a value-add and not mind the incremental increase in cost it seems.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Quick question: why does MAPLE not publish scoring leaders for U13 or U14 and higher?

Also, would it benefit to hire an official scorer for each game and track team stats like sog/sag/corners and so on? Most soccer participants would consider that a value-add and not mind the incremental increase in cost it seems.
    You're kidding, right... Maybe we could have a scoring title trophy as well. Let the kids play, we don't need to analyze them to death and put more pressure than they already have heaped upon them at age 11-15 on Sundays. Wow.

Comment

I would mind. This adds no value.

Comment

Just what we need! Save this for when your kid goes pro.

Comment

Why don't you hire someone to track your little Mia and her team? What rubbish!

Comment

It's parents like you that make us happy our kids are no longer playing Maple!

Comment

Quick Question: are you really that stupid or are you really that good of a troller?

Comment

I just read the replies to my post. I'm surprised at the reaction, considering that MAPLE is exorbitantly competitive as is, without keeping track of statistical data scoring or otherwise.

By the way, my kid does not score much and the question has nothing to do with that.

Stats can be detrimental for the reasons given above, but they can also help coaches figure out what's going on in the league in general. I have yet to meet a MAPLE coach that tracks these things internally either. This can be an issue in matching up minutes played with productivity.

I am not so much interested in the scoring per se, but in the other categories.

And I mention the scoring because other leagues from outside MA publish stats like that, but dont provide anything else.

Comment

I just read the replies to my post. I'm surprised at the reaction, considering that MAPLE is exorbitantly competitive as is,
                  No no no....I reworded your post

"that Maple parents are exorbitantly competitive"

Comment

Little keepers in front of a big net means lots of scoring. Big whup.

Comment

Besides, beginning at U15, the kids will be in HS and local papers publish scoring leaders. So it doesn't seem like a big change at that age group.

Club coaches might react negatively, because it makes poaching easier for others.

I think tracking scoring is informative to parents, players, and coaches. I don't see it as inhumane, and trust me I am very anti-competitive, anti-MAPLE playdown mentality, pro-developmental.

But I am more interested in tracking other stats. What about hiring an official scorer to keep tabs on corners, tackles, whistles, etc?

Comment

Is someone honestly suggesting that there should be an official scorer at every game every Sunday for every division in every age group from U13 up? Or are you suggesting that team coaches and managers be required to track certain stats and send them into a coordinator, as is currently done with scores? I personally think the first option is logistically impossible and in general the whole idea is just unnecessary. I just don't see what useful purpose it serves. In addition, teams and players already get attacked mercilessly on here - I can only imagine how much worse it would get if we ever started posting individual stats (that kid sucks, only has so many goals because the team plays in a weak division, all the good players get him/her the ball, s/he's a ball hog, etc, etc).

If a coach wants to privately track how many goals, assists, corners, offsides, yada yada, and use that information to aid in planning training sessions, fine. I think the only things that the rest of us should really care about are final scores and ejections. And, as a coach, I'm less concerned with the final score than I am with the performance. Coached plenty of games my teams have lost where I couldn't have been more pleased with their play, and coached plenty of games where we've won despite a poor game on some level.

Comment

Is someone honestly suggesting that there should be an official scorer at every game every Sunday for every division in every age group from U13 up? Or are you suggesting that team coaches and managers be required to track certain stats and send them into a coordinator, as is currently done with scores? I personally think the first option is logistically impossible and in general the whole idea is just unnecessary. I just don't see what useful purpose it serves. In addition, teams and players already get attacked mercilessly on here - I can only imagine how much worse it would get if we ever started posting individual stats (that kid sucks, only has so many goals because the team plays in a weak division, all the good players get him/her the ball, s/he's a ball hog, etc, etc).

If a coach wants to privately track how many goals, assists, corners, offsides, yada yada, and use that information to aid in planning training sessions, fine. I think the only things that the rest of us should really care about are final scores and ejections. And, as a coach, I'm less concerned with the final score than I am with the performance. Coached plenty of games my teams have lost where I couldn't have been more pleased with their play, and coached plenty of games where we've won despite a poor game on some level.
                          I can hear it now, "Yeah we lost but we had 72% of the possession and 5 more corner kicks. We outplayed them, but they got a lucky goal."

Comment

Besides, beginning at U15, the kids will be in HS and local papers publish scoring leaders. So it doesn't seem like a big change at that age group.

Club coaches might react negatively, because it makes poaching easier for others.

I think tracking scoring is informative to parents, players, and coaches. I don't see it as inhumane, and trust me I am very anti-competitive, anti-MAPLE playdown mentality, pro-developmental.

But I am more interested in tracking other stats. What about hiring an official scorer to keep tabs on corners, tackles, whistles, etc?
                            I guess you're assuming that all these kids make varisty in their first year?

Comment

Is someone honestly suggesting that there should be an official scorer at every game every Sunday for every division in every age group from U13 up?
                              Yes. Is that so bizarre? We already send out a ref and 2 linesman. Why not an official scorer?

I just don't see what useful purpose it serves.
                              It provides information to coaches, parents players ....and recruiters.

In addition, teams and players already get attacked mercilessly on here - I can only imagine how much worse it would get if we ever started posting individual stats (that kid sucks, only has so many goals because the team plays in a weak division, all the good players get him/her the ball, s/he's a ball hog, etc, etc).
                              This is due to silly and rude parents/posters/coaches and has nothing to do with the data being published. Jerks will be jerks no matter what you do.

And, as a coach, I'm less concerned with the final score than I am with the performance.
                              Well, that is the whole point right there. A broader statistical picture of the game can tell you a lot about the performance of a team. As long as people only track Goals/Assists, then it's very difficult to manage and improve the overall quality of play.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X