Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the Juice Worth the Squeeze?

Thanks to BTDT we have a new phrase in our household.

Anyone obsessing over these T-S threads ought to ask themselves the same question, preferably right before they log on and spar with Cujo.

Honestly. Look in the mirror. Look at your kid in the mirror. Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Seeing the title of this thread makes me think of the Led Zepplin song.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Thanks to BTDT we have a new phrase in our household.

Anyone obsessing over these T-S threads ought to ask themselves the same question, preferably right before they log on and spar with Cujo.

Honestly. Look in the mirror. Look at your kid in the mirror. Is the juice worth the squeeze?
      There was a Stars newsletter sent out to members recently. Wish I had a copy because there were some words of wisdom in it from JD that basically said all coaches see players differently. Don't give up just because one coach doesn't see you in the light you'd like to be seen. Keep perservering and here you and BTDT seem to think a kid should throw in the towel instead of striving to get better. So some cynic is going to say JD would say that because it's money to him, but from my perspective you do what you can to be the best that you can at whatever that level turns out to be. As a parent that's the message I give my kids and as a parent I'm going to do what I can to help them be the best they can be as long as they are willing to keep working toward that goal. There is a lot more to learn from sports that raise the value of participation.

Comment

There was a Stars newsletter sent out to members recently. Wish I had a copy because there were some words of wisdom in it from JD that basically said all coaches see players differently. Don't give up just because one coach doesn't see you in the light you'd like to be seen. Keep perservering and here you and BTDT seem to think a kid should throw in the towel instead of striving to get better. So some cynic is going to say JD would say that because it's money to him, but from my perspective you do what you can to be the best that you can at whatever that level turns out to be. As a parent that's the message I give my kids and as a parent I'm going to do what I can to help them be the best they can be as long as they are willing to keep working toward that goal. There is a lot more to learn from sports that raise the value of participation.
        You miss the point. It is not what some coach says that matters but rather what is inside your kid's head/heart. Sometimes all of us need a kick in the butt to get over one of life's hurdles but if your kid is not really invested in where you are pushing them is that really in their best interest? The next question is, even if your kid is into it, what is the end goal? By that I mean are they actually going to get something for overcoming that hurdle? One of the really sad things about sports is that it is freightenly easy to sucked down a path that has very little reward.
        Last edited by beentheredonethat; 04-12-2010, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Even if you want them to play more than they want to play?

Comment

I agree completely with your post. No matter what, you have to try. If your child is having fun and wants to do all they can to improve and you are able to assist them, then go for it. Just because you wont get a scholarship or play professionally, doesn't mean there isn't value in working to achieve a goal. What about the friends you have made and the great people you have come across? The travel to different places you might otherwise not see, the coach who inspired you, respect among peers, respect for yourself, never giving up, maybe just being exposed to more colleges for the sake of academics?

Comment

I agree completely with your post. No matter what, you have to try. If your child is having fun and wants to do all they can to improve and you are able to assist them, then go for it. Just because you wont get a scholarship or play professionally, doesn't mean there isn't value in working to achieve a goal. What about the friends you have made and the great people you have come across? The travel to different places you might otherwise not see, the coach who inspired you, respect among peers, respect for yourself, never giving up, maybe just being exposed to more colleges for the sake of academics?
              How old is your child? You will find that the views are very different from the perspectives of a U18 parent to a U15 to a U12. If you follow the club soccer path all the way to the end, you end up reaching a lot of points where you need to ask yourself if following the path continues to make sense. As someone who has gone down the path with one child and is starting it again with another, I will tell you that your goals probably will evolve over time and things that seemed like a good idea one year may not the next. The best advice that I can give is to try and see your kid's ability clearly and understand what they truly want. In my opinion the worst thing you could do is send a kid down a high risk/ low pay off path without a clear understanding what is involved.

Comment

Originally posted by beentheredonethat View Post
                You miss the point. It is not what some coach says that matters but rather what is inside your kid's head/heart. Sometimes all of us need a kick in the butt to get over one of life's hurdles but if your kid is not really invested in where you are pushing them is that really in their best interest? The next question is, even if your kid is into it, what is the end goal? By that I mean are they actually going to get something for overcoming that hurdle? One of the really sad things about sports is that it is freightenly easy to sucked down a path that has very little reward.
                No I don't miss the point. I've been down the road multiple times. Note that I said I'm going to do what I can to help them be the best they can be as long as they are willing to keep working toward that goal. Believe me I have better things to do with my time and money if they aren't interested. What is the end goal? Very simply to learn that you have to work to achieve your goals and how to deal with the ups and downs of sports participation. It's been a learning experience for me as well as for my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Cujo View Post
                  Even if you want them to play more than they want to play?
                  Cujo, you are a maroon and because you are hardly worth the effort of a reply more than this..

Comment

"One of the really sad things about sports is that it is freightenly easy to sucked down a path that has very little reward."

So let me ask you, BTDT, what do you consider the rewards?

Comment

No I don't miss the point. I've been down the road multiple times. Note that I said I'm going to do what I can to help them be the best they can be as long as they are willing to keep working toward that goal. Believe me I have better things to do with my time and money if they aren't interested. What is the end goal? Very simply to learn that you have to work to achieve your goals and how to deal with the ups and downs of sports participation. It's been a learning experience for me as well as for my kids.
                      This is so true and almost exactly what I was going to post. Learning to overcome obsticles and disappointments is a major part of life. Unlike BTDT, who I respect and I like to hear his opinions, in our household there is no "end game." The sport itself and the participation in it and the life lessons and the thrills and joys of it is what is important and the end game is simply life itself.

Comment

"One of the really sad things about sports is that it is freightenly easy to sucked down a path that has very little reward."

So let me ask you, BTDT, what do you consider the rewards?
                        The more time my children spend playing sports (it happens to be soccer in my house, disappointing as that may be to my hockey player soul) the better.

Spend time reading study after study on teen drug and alcohol use, teen pregnancy, etc...They all say sports, APPROPRIATE athletic activity, is a immensely positive thing.

I do not care if your child plays for the Stars or (insert not real great girls team here...), or Bolts or (insert not real great boys team here...). I have one kid playing R1PL and another MASC...the point is they love the game, look forward to their games and practices and have made numerous friends through sports they would otherwise never have known.

That is my reward, a more confident teenager and adult that has seen some personal success in their lives and has learned teamwork and respect for themselves, a sport and its supporting cast of coaches, referees and managers.

If that is all they get out of this, I am more than content.

It sickens me to see and hear the parents that are looking for a "payback" for their "investment". My god, if your son or daughter can graduate from High School (or college for that matter) without having suffered from an alcohol or drug issue, abortion/adoption or teenage parent free and full of hope and confidence for their future how can you possibly think that ANYTHING else you get as a payback is just icing on the cake.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachbum View Post
                          The more time my children spend playing sports (it happens to be soccer in my house, disappointing as that may be to my hockey player soul) the better.

Spend time reading study after study on teen drug and alcohol use, teen pregnancy, etc...They all say sports, APPROPRIATE athletic activity, is a immensely positive thing.

I do not care if your child plays for the Stars or (insert not real great girls team here...), or Bolts or (insert not real great boys team here...). I have one kid playing R1PL and another MASC...the point is they love the game, look forward to their games and practices and have made numerous friends through sports they would otherwise never have known.

That is my reward, a more confident teenager and adult that has seen some personal success in their lives and has learned teamwork and respect for themselves, a sport and its supporting cast of coaches, referees and managers.

It sickens me to see and hear the parents that are looking for a "payback" for their "investment". My god, if your son or daughter can graduate from High School (or college for that matter) without having suffered from an alcohol or drug issue, abortion/adoption or teenage parent free and full of hope and confidence for their future how can you possibly think that ANYTHING else you get as a payback is just icing on the cake.
                          Nothing like throwing adoption in there among the big sins. Just call it abortion or pregnancy would you? There are plenty of adopted people out here who don't need to know what you think of their status.

Comment

Nothing like throwing adoption in there among the big sins. Just call it abortion or pregnancy would you? There are plenty of adopted people out here who don't need to know what you think of their status.
                            I am sorry I was not PC enough for you. My familys history would lead you to the conclusion that this was far from my intent

Comment

Originally posted by Beachbum View Post

Great post!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X