Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20 Teams Come Together and are Suing Jeff Cup

20 teams have come together and are suing the Richmond Club. The tournament has refunded nobody and have no intention to do so. Records seem to indicate that they made
    next to $125,000 just off the boys tournament and many teams never played a game. Any teams that are interested in recovery that were at the tournament please let us know here and I will pass it along to the law firm that is filing suit. Richmond has enough in assets and earning capability to refund everyone full registration fees, legal costs, and all monies that were made off your team from hotel profits.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    20 teams have come together and are suing the Richmond Club. The tournament has refunded nobody and have no intention to do so. Records seem to indicate that they made
    next to $125,000 just off the boys tournament and many teams never played a game. Any teams that are interested in recovery that were at the tournament please let us know here and I will pass it along to the law firm that is filing suit. Richmond has enough in assets and earning capability to refund everyone full registration fees, legal costs, and all monies that were made off your team from hotel profits.
    It was just a matter of time. I hope that tournament directors wake up and realize that you can't rip people off and get away with it anymore.

Comment

This wasn't the first time they cancelled. Did they refund before?

Comment

never - not a dime.

Comment

once bit, twice shy. Just stop sending your money.

Comment

A4bfa9

is the No refund policy included in the tournament application? I wonder if the county shares some of the liabiity as they control the fields and determine if they are played on. Also, does the county charge the tournament for field useage?

Comment

Thats great. I wonder if we can also get our money back for our expenses, driving down, plane flights, meals, tolls, etc? The fields were in very good shape on Saturday and the tournament could have been played.

Comment

On what basis? Doesn't the tournament state that a condition of registration is that you accept that fees will not be refunded if games are canceled due to weather?

Comment

I am curious as to where you got your information. I feel sorry for both the people that run Jefferson Cup, and for the teams that believe that they got cheated out of the money that they spent for the tournament, the travel, the room/expenses and so on that they had to layout for a tournament that was basically rained out for the most part.

Jefferson Cup has always been considered a top tier event, but one in recent years, due to weather problems, (problems beyond their control), probably stands to lose that standing. The people that run the event, do so in good faith, but one can never predict the weather. Every tournament faces that crap shoot and few refund money.

I am not sure how the attorneys might prove that Jefferson Cup took the money in bad faith, when JC also spent money as well on order to stage the tournament.

If anything comes of this lawsuit, and the JC committee has to refund the whole amount, then what precedent does that set for other tournaments? If weather is a reason to refund all money, then how many tournament committees are going to have to take a closer look as to the down side of holding such an event. If that is the case, than I think in the future, that you might see only the very top tournaments, ie, Disney, Dallas, Surf, or those held in temperate climates, continue. What does this also do to the college showcases that might be held in iffy climates, if JC and the like can no longer afford to hold them? What does this do to players living in areas where now the travel and cost to attend these tournaments is now prohibitive? Also, with fewer college showcases being held, then how many teams, good teams, that have maybe great players, not get in due to the large number of applicants?

I can see both sides to this issue, and I have to think that there is some middle ground that needs to be explored. I do, however, believe that if the lawsuit somehow wins, which I doubt, that the ramifications may be more long lasting and have a terrible impact on soccer.

I will say, that if Jefferson made a ton of money from the event, then, yes, there should be some recourse for the teams and parents, but the bottom line is that this suit might be opening up a pandora's box and who knows what reprecussions it might hold down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by thebes20 View Post
                    I am curious as to where you got your information. I feel sorry for both the people that run Jefferson Cup, and for the teams that believe that they got cheated out of the money that they spent for the tournament, the travel, the room/expenses and so on that they had to layout for a tournament that was basically rained out for the most part.

Jefferson Cup has always been considered a top tier event, but one in recent years, due to weather problems, (problems beyond their control), probably stands to lose that standing. The people that run the event, do so in good faith, but one can never predict the weather. Every tournament faces that crap shoot and few refund money.

I am not sure how the attorneys might prove that Jefferson Cup took the money in bad faith, when JC also spent money as well on order to stage the tournament.

If anything comes of this lawsuit, and the JC committee has to refund the whole amount, then what precedent does that set for other tournaments? If weather is a reason to refund all money, then how many tournament committees are going to have to take a closer look as to the down side of holding such an event. If that is the case, than I think in the future, that you might see only the very top tournaments, ie, Disney, Dallas, Surf, or those held in temperate climates, continue. What does this also do to the college showcases that might be held in iffy climates, if JC and the like can no longer afford to hold them? What does this do to players living in areas where now the travel and cost to attend these tournaments is now prohibitive? Also, with fewer college showcases being held, then how many teams, good teams, that have maybe great players, not get in due to the large number of applicants?

I can see both sides to this issue, and I have to think that there is some middle ground that needs to be explored. I do, however, believe that if the lawsuit somehow wins, which I doubt, that the ramifications may be more long lasting and have a terrible impact on soccer.

I will say, that if Jefferson made a ton of money from the event, then, yes, there should be some recourse for the teams and parents, but the bottom line is that this suit might be opening up a pandora's box and who knows what reprecussions it might hold down the road.
                    Spirit United (PA) cancelled the Kick-Off Classic last August due to poor conditions. They took out an insurance policy that resulted in full refunds of the tournament fee. Unfortunately for those who had already traveled to PA, the refund didn’t cover travel expenses. It’s the chance you take.

Comment

We run a tournament and we do not understand a no refund policy. If our tournament is cancelled that means we have no expenses or very little. No refs, No field rentals, tents, help, etc.. There is no justification for not refunding people their monies, minus what little expenses that you have or what happens is that your profit rate goes up if you cancel, you make more money that way and then you look for excusses to cancel and that in my opinion is what the Jefferson Cup is doing. They should be sued and exposed and forced to open their books. After that happens other scam similar will be stopped.

Comment

On what basis? Doesn't the tournament state that a condition of registration is that you accept that fees will not be refunded if games are canceled due to weather?
                        Does anyone know whether the registration says no refunds? If it does, this suit hasn't a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by thebes20 View Post

I do not feel sorry for the organizers of the Jeff Cup. They knew for weeks, based on the weather down there, that it was high probability that the ground would be saturated. They had two choices, neither of which they made (1) Find synthetic fields and forget about Striker Park. (2) Cancel the tournement before that Thursday.

Either alternative would have worked. Instead, for the third year in a row, they had hundreds of people drive/fly down there only to be ripped off but their mismanagement of a very obvious and easily solvable situation.

Final point-one hour north, in the same weather conditions, the Allianace Cup was played without a hitch-all on synthetic fields.

Comment

I do not feel sorry for the organizers of the Jeff Cup. They knew for weeks, based on the weather down there, that it was high probability that the ground would be saturated. They had two choices, neither of which they made (1) Find synthetic fields and forget about Striker Park. (2) Cancel the tournement before that Thursday.

Either alternative would have worked. Instead, for the third year in a row, they had hundreds of people drive/fly down there only to be ripped off but their mismanagement of a very obvious and easily solvable situation.

Final point-one hour north, in the same weather conditions, the Allianace Cup was played without a hitch-all on synthetic fields.
                            Why do you people keep entering the tournament then?

This is the problem with people in this country. They keep making stupid decisions and feel everybody BUT they themself is responsible when things go wrong.

Comment

20 teams have come together and are suing the Richmond Club. The tournament has refunded nobody and have no intention to do so. Records seem to indicate that they made next to $125,000 just off the boys tournament .
                              I would be shocked if $ 125,000 is all they made off the boys tournament. A figure 3 times higher than that makes sense, especially since some of the expenses (i.e. soem field rental and refs fees) did not have to be paid.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X