• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age kids quit?

what age do most kids quit club soccer?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    what age do most kids quit club soccer?
    Biggest drop is at 13. Next biggest drop comes at 16.

Comment

Biggest drop is at 13. Next biggest drop comes at 16.
      Last time I checked nearly 50% stop playing after U14. Not one reason though. Many.

Comment

When you really think about the situation, most high school teams have only 5-10 seniors a year (sometimes a lot less) but when they started way back in the 3 grade there was probably closer to 50 playing in their age group. Transition is normal and is not necessarily caused by anything. Unlike a lot of people I don't blame over involvement or burnout as the reason most kids quit a sport. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen but quite frankly I don't think the kids today really play that much of a sport to really get sick of it. I attribute a lot to changing interests and priorities which are usually brought about by major events in their lives. My experience with girls is they stop in three stages. The first stage is at the end of 6th grade. A lot of physical and emotional changes combined with a looming transition to middle school causes a lot rethink their their priorities. This is where the kid who is not all that athletically minded typically decides that they would rather spend their time doing something else. The next stage spans from the end of the 8th grade to the beginning of the 9th grade. This really has two parts. At the end of the 8th grade kids start to realize that by going to the high school they can recast themselves and a lot make decisions about where they want sports to fit into their lives. With girls in particular the 9th grade seems to have a big social impact on their lives. The less serious athletes typically bow out at this stage. Another group of kids typically quit after high school tryouts freshman year. Obviously some get cut, but others envariably don't like their placement on a freshman or JV team and quit in a huff, while others become overwhelmed by both the time commitment and intensity so they either quit or never come back after the season. The last group typically hangs it up during their Junior year. Usually this is either brought on by a change in focus to academic performance or a disatisfaction with their role on their high school team.

Comment

Originally posted by beentheredonethat View Post
          When you really think about the situation, most high school teams have only 5-10 seniors a year (sometimes a lot less) but when they started way back in the 3 grade there was probably closer to 50 playing in their age group. Transition is normal and is not necessarily caused by anything. Unlike a lot of people I don't blame over involvement or burnout as the reason most kids quit a sport. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen but quite frankly I don't think the kids today really play that much of a sport to really get sick of it. I attribute a lot to changing interests and priorities which are usually brought about by major events in their lives. My experience with girls is they stop in three stages. The first stage is at the end of 6th grade. A lot of physical and emotional changes combined with a looming transition to middle school causes a lot rethink their their priorities. This is where the kid who is not all that athletically minded typically decides that they would rather spend their time doing something else. The next stage spans from the end of the 8th grade to the beginning of the 9th grade. This really has two parts. At the end of the 8th grade kids start to realize that by going to the high school they can recast themselves and a lot make decisions about where they want sports to fit into their lives. With girls in particular the 9th grade seems to have a big social impact on their lives. The less serious athletes typically bow out at this stage. Another group of kids typically quit after high school tryouts freshman year. Obviously some get cut, but others envariably don't like their placement on a freshman or JV team and quit in a huff, while others become overwhelmed by both the time commitment and intensity so they either quit or never come back after the season. The last group typically hangs it up during their Junior year. Usually this is either brought on by a change in focus to academic performance or a disatisfaction with their role on their high school team.

good post....

Comment

for me, one of my kids had just had enough. He had played club from U10-U16 and wanted to concentrate on school and actually hanging out with his friends. He felt he had given up a lot for 4-5 years and did not want to miss out on what he called "doing nothing" with his friends, he wanted free time to do what he wanted for once. I have two other kids who you cant pull out of the soccer scene if you tried, they are totally into it and love it. The one who gave it up just got tired of the commitment and wanted a change. Still active, playing multiple sports in HS and having fun doing it, and is actually spending a huge amount of time studying for both school and SAT's so I cant complain. To the best of our conversations, there was no one defining moment that caused him to stop playing, just the overall grind of...car ride/training/car ride/dinner late and homework later.

Comment

for me, one of my kids had just had enough. He had played club from U10-U16 and wanted to concentrate on school and actually hanging out with his friends. He felt he had given up a lot for 4-5 years and did not want to miss out on what he called "doing nothing" with his friends, he wanted free time to do what he wanted for once. I have two other kids who you cant pull out of the soccer scene if you tried, they are totally into it and love it. The one who gave it up just got tired of the commitment and wanted a change. Still active, playing multiple sports in HS and having fun doing it, and is actually spending a huge amount of time studying for both school and SAT's so I cant complain. To the best of our conversations, there was no one defining moment that caused him to stop playing, just the overall grind of...car ride/training/car ride/dinner late and homework later.
              .....and he was not as good as the other kids anymore.

Comment

Wow, mean-spirited, much? I think it was a very good post. My U15 thinks he'll leave when the injuries get to be too much. Yes, he's a pretty good player, & he gets targeted a lot (trips to the ER, etc.).

In the end, he loves the game, his coaches & being with his teammates, but it's not his life. And that's fine with me.

Comment

You typify a lot of posters on this site, a total moron. YOU SUCK

Comment

My kid is injured right now. As he sits out, he is finding other interests - mostly the social life he missed out on. He is a very good player and I just hope he decides to get back into it once he is better. Right now he says he wants to. He is U-15, and soccer is his only sport. Gave up other sports for soccer.

Comment

My oldest was very good. Persistent injuries led her to quit at u17. I know some play through it, but not all do. Once out of the scene she was still heavily recruited by top teams and college programs, but just wasn't worth it for her.

Comment

thats okay, I am the poster you are ragging on...he played D1 just to keep the story straight. <edit> You went well over the line </edit>
                        Last edited by Beachbum; 04-08-2010, 08:17 PM.

Comment

You typify a lot of posters on this site, a total moron. YOU SUCK
                          I ahould have known better when I made my post, there is always one!

Comment

There is an expression that we use in our house when talking about such things. "Is the juice worth the squeeze". We all face these points in our lives when we have to decide whether or not the enjoyment we are getting out of an activity is worth the commitment we are putting into it. I think one of the really tough parts of being a parent in these types of situations is helping our children honestly make this decision. After all that everyone goes through to get near the end of the road with club soccer, it can be particularly tough when the kid IS good but that their heart is not really into it. Even tougher when they are just good enough to move to the next level but not really good enough to excel at it. Helping a high school aged kid see what may be in their best long term interest can be described as difficult as best. People who make snotty comments like the one above have no idea what they are talking about .. probably because they chose not to face the situation.
                            Last edited by beentheredonethat; 04-09-2010, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Intelligent posts like this are why I still visit and wade through the other stuff. Thanks btdt.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X