Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parents and practice

How should a coach deal with an over zealous parent who likes to involve him or herself in seemingly everything related to the child's team, way, way too much?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    How should a coach deal with an over zealous parent who likes to involve him or herself in seemingly everything related to the child's team, way, way too much?
    Ask them to leave

Comment

I know Cujo favors having parents help him with running practice sessions if they are qualified.

Comment

Duck tape a twenty dollar bill onto a rock and then launch it into the woods with a slingshot.

Comment

Make your team rules very clear from the beginning(i.e. when they can approach you etc.) and tell parents you'll bench their kids!!

Comment

Make your team rules very clear from the beginning(i.e. when they can approach you etc.) and tell parents you'll bench their kids!!
            Punishing kids for the actions of their parents is a complete and utter cluster...... Anyone who thinks that is appropriate is a total moron. Sorry, but its true.

Comment

Don't bother coaching. They are all over zealous.

Comment

get the f--k out of my dugout usually works but I'm 6'1" and 265.

Comment

Punishing kids for the actions of their parents is a complete and utter cluster...... Anyone who thinks that is appropriate is a total moron. Sorry, but its true.
                  Well, that's kind of the point isn't it? Parents will not jeopardize their kid's playing time with their stupidity. One of my kids had a coach who would bench the players if their parents yelled on the sidelines during a game.....flat out told us we were free to find a new team if we couldn't abide the rules. No one did, highly respected by kids and parents alike.

Comment

So at least half a dozen or so have replied, but no one asked the question that should be asked before giving a reply. How old is the child and what exactly is the parent doing that deems him or her "overzealous"? I've beeen around a long time and know that one coach's overzealous parent is another coach's pet and depending on the age of the player, more parents should be more involved with what's going on if they want to help their child become a better player. Too many look at their kid playing on a team as a baby sitting service. The vast majority of parents just want to do right by their kid and only need a little direction as to what is acceptable and what is not to help their kid along.

Comment

Well, that's kind of the point isn't it? Parents will not jeopardize their kid's playing time with their stupidity. One of my kids had a coach who would bench the players if their parents yelled on the sidelines during a game.....flat out told us we were free to find a new team if we couldn't abide the rules. No one did, highly respected by kids and parents alike.
                      Youth coaches are very fond of themselves. You are coaching youth soccer. Get over yourselves.

Comment

OK, how about if he told you that if YOU (the parent) didn't abode by the rules, YOU would not be allowed to attend practices and games. I bet it would have the same effect yet not punish the kid. Knowing these types of parents (assuming they truly were overzealous) I am betting a kid will welcome the removal of his/her overbearing loud mouth parent. I have had kids thank me for talking to their mom or dad about coaching/yelling/be mean at games. Talk about a reversal of roles for the parent/child relationship.

Comment

So at least half a dozen or so have replied, but no one asked the question that should be asked before giving a reply. How old is the child and what exactly is the parent doing that deems him or her "overzealous"? I've beeen around a long time and know that one coach's overzealous parent is another coach's pet and depending on the age of the player, more parents should be more involved with what's going on if they want to help their child become a better player. Too many look at their kid playing on a team as a baby sitting service. The vast majority of parents just want to do right by their kid and only need a little direction as to what is acceptable and what is not to help their kid along.
                          Bingo. If the guy/gal is fetching balls behind the netfor example maybe you as the coach have a problem.
                          If you are sure of what you are teaching and confident in your ability why would something
                          as minor as this be a problem. Just playing devils advocate.

Comment

sounds like a certain situation on a south shore team that i know of......

Comment

At u15 and up there is no reason parents have to hang around and watch practices.Its actually embarassing to older players to see their mom or dad just hanging out.My kids have told me that kids with parents that watch everything they do are annoying.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X