Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coaches that Lie......

Any thought on Coaches who keep kids on there team just because they think there parents are helpful/loaded and will some how fork out tons of money/favors for there team. How chicken crapp is this in your opinion, and as a parent should we overlook this because the team is winning or should we hit the road and find a team that respects a player/parents true ablility?

Re: Coaches that Lie......

Originally posted by Anonymous
    Any thought on Coaches who keep kids on there team just because they think there parents are helpful/loaded and will some how fork out tons of money/favors for there team. How chicken crapp is this in your opinion, and as a parent should we overlook this because the team is winning or should we hit the road and find a team that respects a player/parents true ablility?
    "Chicken Crapp"?

Comment

Of course it's crap, and it happens all over. You can go somewhere else but no guarentees it won't happen someplace else too. Some kids get spots because of their parents: money, influence, connections, eye candy,..you name it.

Unless your kid isn't getting play time let the rich parents float the team and enjoy the ride! LOL

Realistically, we have a kid on our team who just sucks but she'll be on the team regardless because the coach is friends with the parents. Frustrating yes, but again - so common.

Comment

Originally posted by Should be Working
        Of course it's crap, and it happens all over. You can go somewhere else but no guarentees it won't happen someplace else too. Some kids get spots because of their parents: money, influence, connections, eye candy,..you name it.

Unless your kid isn't getting play time let the rich parents float the team and enjoy the ride! LOL

Realistically, we have a kid on our team who just sucks but she'll be on the team regardless because the coach is friends with the parents. Frustrating yes, but again - so common.
        So this happens on both boy's and girls side? When you say sucks what do you meen, physically, mentally, or what?

Comment

Sucks?

Athletic ability.

Comment

Re: Sucks?

Athletic ability.
            So should a coach cutt a player in the younger ages(u9 u10) if they show contiuned improvment with there overall development as a player/person, but still arent as athlectic as a starter on the team?

Comment

Re: Sucks?

Athletic ability.
              So should a coach cutt a player in the younger ages(u9 u10) if they show contiuned improvment with there overall development as a player/person, but still arent as athlectic as a starter on the team?
              I'm not talking U9 or U10....we're talking above U12, 4 years on the same team, playing at a very high level of soccer, with a center forward who cannot finish anything and never has been. It is so clear to anyone around that the player isn't up to this level of soccer and is holding back the team.

The issue was coaches playing favs, this is what I used as an EXAMPLE, a player clearly not at the level of her team, holding her team back but stays on the team because the coach is friends with the family. Is that fair to the team? No. Is it fair to the player? No.

At U9 and U10 it still depends on how many players you have, how many teams you have, and so forth. Should a player be given a chance to develop? Absolutely! Should they be kept on a high level team year after year when they show no athletic ability? No.

Let them play Bronze/AA-B, develop their skill on a team that is more to their ability, then move up as they gain skill. Don't hold back a Gold/Premeir team by having players on those teams that can't hold their own, it is like making the team play a man down over and over.

Comment

At U9 and U10 it still depends on how many players you have, how many teams you have, and so forth. Should a player be given a chance to develop? Absolutely! Should they be kept on a high level team year after year when they show no athletic ability? No.

Well you can carry 14 on the roster at U9 and U10. So with this said and with your expeience how long would you say a mid-level player should be givin a chance to become more of a physical presence on the field for his/her team. When does it level out between the early blooming physical kid's attcking approach and the kid's who have more or a finesse style about there play. does this depende on the Coach, I know there are different styles of Coaching also, some want a pure physical team and some like more of the finesse/passing style of game. I know the answer is a mix of the two, but at what age do you start to see this start to gel. Or more importantly how long show a parent allow a kid's to ride the bench before looing else where for game time to prove himself.

Comment

Well you can carry 14 on the roster at U9 and U10. So with this said and with your expeience how long would you say a mid-level player should be givin a chance to become more of a physical presence on the field for his/her team. When does it level out between the early blooming physical kid's attcking approach and the kid's who have more or a finesse style about there play. does this depende on the Coach, I know there are different styles of Coaching also, some want a pure physical team and some like more of the finesse/passing style of game. I know the answer is a mix of the two, but at what age do you start to see this start to gel. Or more importantly how long show a parent allow a kid's to ride the bench before looing else where for game time to prove himself.
                  Why not put your kid on a team where they can get lots of play time then try out for the higher level teams as your kids develops better skill? Why just stay on a team where you don't get play time. I wouldn't hang around waiting, my kid wants to play not sit on a bench so we'd move to a team where playtime would be given.

As for the gelling...I would say U13 - U15 is teh range where you see that happening with a mix of ability, both the physical and technical. But it really depends on the club. Some you see that earlier and others later. Seems more dependent on the style of soccer played than age.

Comment

Why not put your kid on a team where they can get lots of play time then try out for the higher level teams as your kids develops better skill? Why just stay on a team where you don't get play time. I wouldn't hang around waiting, my kid wants to play not sit on a bench so we'd move to a team where playtime would be given.

As for the gelling...I would say U13 - U15 is teh range where you see that happening with a mix of ability, both the physical and technical. But it really depends on the club. Some you see that earlier and others later. Seems more dependent on the style of soccer played than age.
                    Well I have had my child guest with several "Bronze" teams in tourney's and noticed that he does extremely well with that level of talent. Now with the team my child is with now I notice a sence of added drive by the compition level that is there. It's really a catch 22 because should it be about playing time, or putting them up against talent that is a step above them to better them in the future? I can get pick up games for them any time, they enjoy the challenge of the team being at a higher level, but dont like the little game time they get with this team. I have noticed throughout the season that the lower half of the top flight my child is very competitive with, as far as the top 3 well the Coach hessitates to putt any bench player in, this is a tuff one really. Drop him down a level and let him get lazy, of keep him here and keep him challenged????

Comment

.[/quote]Well I have had my child guest with several "Bronze" teams in tourney's and noticed that he does extremely well with that level of talent. Now with the team my child is with now I notice a sence of added drive by the compition level that is there. It's really a catch 22 because should it be about playing time, or putting them up against talent that is a step above them to better them in the future? I can get pick up games for them any time, they enjoy the challenge of the team being at a higher level, but dont like the little game time they get with this team. I have noticed throughout the season that the lower half of the top flight my child is very competitive with, as far as the top 3 well the Coach hessitates to putt any bench player in, this is a tuff one really. Drop him down a level and let him get lazy, of keep him here and keep him challenged????[/quote]

What is right for one child is not necessarily what is right for another child so only the parent can make that choice. I can only speak for my child who wants to play. There is no way my child will sit on a bench game after game with little play time.

Playing on a harder team can challenge them but without the play time it can also lead to frustration which could deter them. Again, a lot depends on the club/coach/team. A coach that lets the same kids sit over and over won't work for us but perhaps another coach at the same level has a different philopsophy.

You can also consider getting additional training to bring up a skill level on the current team which should increase playtime. If it does not then perhaps a different team in in order.

It is really a personal decision. I look at my children's happiness. Do they feel good about their team and their contributions to that team. If they are happy then so am I. If my kids are complaining about a lack of playtime then I would start looking for another team, if my kid likes the challenge of the harder team and does not mind being a sub, then that is what we do. Their happiness dictates where they play.

Comment

Well I have had my child guest with several "Bronze" teams in tourney's and noticed that he does extremely well with that level of talent. Now with the team my child is with now I notice a sence of added drive by the compition level that is there. It's really a catch 22 because should it be about playing time, or putting them up against talent that is a step above them to better them in the future? I can get pick up games for them any time, they enjoy the challenge of the team being at a higher level, but dont like the little game time they get with this team. I have noticed throughout the season that the lower half of the top flight my child is very competitive with, as far as the top 3 well the Coach hessitates to putt any bench player in, this is a tuff one really. Drop him down a level and let him get lazy, of keep him here and keep him challenged????[/quote]

What is right for one child is not necessarily what is right for another child so only the parent can make that choice. I can only speak for my child who wants to play. There is no way my child will sit on a bench game after game with little play time.

Playing on a harder team can challenge them but without the play time it can also lead to frustration which could deter them. Again, a lot depends on the club/coach/team. A coach that lets the same kids sit over and over won't work for us but perhaps another coach at the same level has a different philopsophy.

You can also consider getting additional training to bring up a skill level on the current team which should increase playtime. If it does not then perhaps a different team in in order.

It is really a personal decision. I look at my children's happiness. Do they feel good about their team and their contributions to that team. If they are happy then so am I. If my kids are complaining about a lack of playtime then I would start looking for another team, if my kid likes the challenge of the harder team and does not mind being a sub, then that is what we do. Their happiness dictates where they play.[/quote]Very true. He show's no signs of frustration as of yet. He has commented on games time once or twice, and those were both tight games. I have looked into, and gotten extra training on the side, again the Coach claims to see's improvment but in the tight matches rarley plays the bench(not just my son). Often times my son will out hustle his team mates in practice, I can see his hard work ethnic being a factor in the Coach keeping him on the team, perhaps waiting for him to come out of his shell sorth of speak, but my main concern is will this cutt in game time void all his hard work in the future, or will this be a benifit for a Coach that wants to give him a shot week in and week out on the field?

Not a good attitude nor a hard work ethic, nor a good vision for the game, but sheer physical ablility, a hard kick, and one move is what seperates the starters from the bench players in the younger ages. Now, when will the size of the field begin to impact these kids that are fast, strong, and kick hard, vesus the players who are learning positioning, vision of the game, and most of all patients. I have seen kid's at the younger age groups dominate year after year, I have not really watched to many BU11-U14 matches in my short time in this Club Soccer world. Mabe you can give me some insite, my dd is plays up(a year) on a u15 Silver Elite team(Keeper)and I can remember here transition from U10 to U11, very tuff for her, but the boys seem alot stronger and perhaps it wont impact them at all?

Comment

BS!

Sound to me like a a crock of crapp, do you pay for the training? For some reason this particular Coach is holding on to your son. Are you the T/A, or are you boosting the team/Coach with boat loads of freebee's? If you are this is the reason. If not then this Coach see's something in your child that he likes and you should be patient with the situation for now. Tuff to do, but after your U10 season with this team you will have you answer. Untill then find pick up games for him, put him in a Sunday League(if you can handle those parents)or AYSO just to get touches on the ball. What he is learning now will only benifit him in the long run. Structure, playing with a higher level of players, quality training and so forth are all pluses you can take with you if you decide to make a move depending on the outcome later in the U10 years.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X