Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unforeseen Consequences in the Rapidly Changing Soccer Landscape?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unforeseen Consequences in the Rapidly Changing Soccer Landscape?

I've been following another thread that discussed a player playing with a "B" team for State Cup and Maple play, and then joining the "A" team for ECNL play.

Since ECNL rules allow a bit more flexibility rostering players, will there be unforseen consequences? For example, will teams pull "guest" players from other clubs, roster talented multi-sport athletes they typically avoid, or bring down those playing up within their own clubs, to try to field the strongest, age specific teams possible? How would this impact existing players? Can they keep everyone happy? Do ECNL rules make it possible for larger clubs such as Rush or MPS, or NEFC (I know they haven't been accepted yet....for discussion purposes only.) the opportunity to field all star teams from the various geographic areas they service? From a recruiting and competitive perspective, what happens to Stars and Scorps if and when they no longer participate in parent magnet, State Cup tournaments?

Girl's soccer has changed very rapidly. The current landscape is way different than what our older, college aged daughter experienced, and will again be much different when the current U-littles move through.

What are people's thoughts? Are all these changes positive? How do all these changes play out?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I've been following another thread that discussed a player playing with a "B" team for State Cup and Maple play, and then joining the "A" team for ECNL play.

Since ECNL rules allow a bit more flexibility rostering players, will there be unforseen consequences? For example, will teams pull "guest" players from other clubs, roster talented multi-sport athletes they typically avoid, or bring down those playing up within their own clubs, to try to field the strongest, age specific teams possible? How would this impact existing players? Can they keep everyone happy? Do ECNL rules make it possible for larger clubs such as Rush or MPS, or NEFC (I know they haven't been accepted yet....for discussion purposes only.) the opportunity to field all star teams from the various geographic areas they service? From a recruiting and competitive perspective, what happens to Stars and Scorps if and when they no longer participate in parent magnet, State Cup tournaments?

Girl's soccer has changed very rapidly. The current landscape is way different than what our older, college aged daughter experienced, and will again be much different when the current U-littles move through.

What are people's thoughts? Are all these changes positive? How do all these changes play out?
    Is ECNL a sanctioned league by MYSA (for State Cup)? If so, I don't believe they can dual roster at U15 and above.

Comment

Is ECNL a sanctioned league by MYSA (for State Cup)? If so, I don't believe they can dual roster at U15 and above.
      The ECNL is a US Club Soccer League. It is not sanctioned or alligned with the US Youth Soccer Association or its local affiliates Mass Youth or Region 1. In fact, if you follow some other threads, you will see considerable discussion about the lack of cooperation between the entities - or more accurately - the adversarial, almost combative, relationship that is developing between the ECNL and USYSA. At its heart, the ECNL is a collection of clubs that is trying to create a development system that avoids some of the most negative features of the current USYSA system. Most notably the inadequacies of the ODP selection process, the problems created by too much emphasis on the zero sum State Cup/ National Championship Series and the lack of legitimate standards and guidelines for USYSA member clubs. To a certain extent, the ECNL is intended to fill the void left by no Academy system for girls, but currently its strongest element is the connection to the nation's top college showcases and the fact that with next year's expansion - most of the nations top clubs will have signed up to participate. The current plan for the ECNL is that teams will be required to skip USYSA competitions. Next year that means that some excellent teams, like the Scorpions U15s, will play ECNL instead of USYSA NL. In the not too distant future, it could mean that the best teams from Massachusetts (and other states) will avoid the SC competition. How agressively the USYSA fights these attempts is an open question. The USYSA has plenty of institutional advantges over the ECNL, not the least of which is $$$, but up to now, they have basically rolled over and accepted the ECNL challenges. We shall see??

Comment

ECNL has a NO GUEST PLAYER RULE, this means only a player from within the club itself can play in the ECNL for that club.

Comment

Regarding Rush they have to play for that specific club. It may be a franchise but as an example players from Colorado Rush can only play for Colorado Rush at events. VA Rush has there own spot in the league which is part of Rush nation. So to answer your question no clubs cannot make super teams from there franchises.

Comment

The ECNL is a US Club Soccer League. It is not sanctioned or alligned with the US Youth Soccer Association or its local affiliates Mass Youth or Region 1. In fact, if you follow some other threads, you will see considerable discussion about the lack of cooperation between the entities - or more accurately - the adversarial, almost combative, relationship that is developing between the ECNL and USYSA. At its heart, the ECNL is a collection of clubs that is trying to create a development system that avoids some of the most negative features of the current USYSA system. Most notably the inadequacies of the ODP selection process, the problems created by too much emphasis on the zero sum State Cup/ National Championship Series and the lack of legitimate standards and guidelines for USYSA member clubs. To a certain extent, the ECNL is intended to fill the void left by no Academy system for girls, but currently its strongest element is the connection to the nation's top college showcases and the fact that with next year's expansion - most of the nations top clubs will have signed up to participate. The current plan for the ECNL is that teams will be required to skip USYSA competitions. Next year that means that some excellent teams, like the Scorpions U15s, will play ECNL instead of USYSA NL. In the not too distant future, it could mean that the best teams from Massachusetts (and other states) will avoid the SC competition. How agressively the USYSA fights these attempts is an open question. The USYSA has plenty of institutional advantges over the ECNL, not the least of which is $$$, but up to now, they have basically rolled over and accepted the ECNL challenges. We shall see??
            A lot to digest. Very interesting and informative. I think the clubs with top teams (i.e. Stars, MPS and Scorps) don't view SC as a competitive event anymore anyway, since it's predominately Maple teams. Do you agree? And if they don’t enter (SC), will they miss playing in the Regional and/or National competitions? Or will this (ECNL) set up for an entirely new round of playoff type competitive events?

Can't wait for all the posts on how so and so won SC because XXXX team(s) didn't play. Should be interesting.

Comment

ECNL has a NO GUEST PLAYER RULE, this means only a player from within the club itself can play in the ECNL for that club.
              What I mean by club itself means trains on a consistent basis with the club. I will give you an example which I know is true. Stars U16 coached by JD was approached by the regional GK from VA to play on there ECNL roster but Stars had to say no because she would be a guest player and would not be able to train and be part of the club/team on a consistant basis.

Comment

A lot to digest. Very interesting and informative. I think the clubs with top teams (i.e. Stars, MPS and Scorps) don't view SC as a competitive event anymore anyway, since it's predominately Maple teams. Do you agree? And if they don’t enter (SC), will they miss playing in the Regional and/or National competitions? Or will this (ECNL) set up for an entirely new round of playoff type competitive events?

Can't wait for all the posts on how so and so won SC because XXXX team(s) didn't play. Should be interesting.
                ECNL already has a championship planned for July (not to far apart timing-wise from when USYSA Nationals will be held). All 120 ECNL teams will be in Seattle Washington, and as the league grows one would expect these summer championships to grow larger and larger too.

And one other point - ECNL really takes on a full year training approach - first tournaments are in August and then the championship in mid-July of the following year. Then each team / club can decide which 3 of the 5 or 6 tournaments that want to attend. A lot more flexible than our spring season that is built around state cup (7 game Maple season done by memorial day is crazy)

Comment

ECNL already has a championship planned for July (not to far apart timing-wise from when USYSA Nationals will be held). All 120 ECNL teams will be in Seattle Washington, and as the league grows one would expect these summer championships to grow larger and larger too.

And one other point - ECNL really takes on a full year training approach - first tournaments are in August and then the championship in mid-July of the following year. Then each team / club can decide which 3 of the 5 or 6 tournaments that want to attend. A lot more flexible than our spring season that is built around state cup (7 game Maple season done by memorial day is crazy)
                  When will there be a league to replace high school? Not a joke. I'm serious. I'm sure that most elite players at this point would forgo HS for something better. I'm sure there are a few quality HS programs, but those are in the minority.

Comment

When will there be a league to replace high school? Not a joke. I'm serious. I'm sure that most elite players at this point would forgo HS for something better. I'm sure there are a few quality HS programs, but those are in the minority.
                    It's going to be very tough convincing the kids not to play high school soccer. Adults may be OK with it, but not the kids and I say this as one of those adults.

Comment

This will not happen, I know ECNL made the more or less full year schedule to accommodate all clubs players who play HS at different parts of the year. For instance the CA clubs rarely play at the christmas/new year event which in the past has been Disney because their players are in HS soccer so they do not pick that event as one of there 3. Same as the MA teams will not choose the Aug event because players are in HS.

Comment

This will not happen, I know ECNL made the more or less full year schedule to accommodate all clubs players who play HS at different parts of the year. For instance the CA clubs rarely play at the christmas/new year event which in the past has been Disney because their players are in HS soccer so they do not pick that event as one of there 3. Same as the MA teams will not choose the Aug event because players are in HS.
                        This is a very smart move on the part of the ECNL and I know the majority involved with the league would prefer their players not play HS soccer. It's good, not just for the kids who want to play soccer for their schools, but for the sport itself. There is no better way to promote the sport in this country then through the exposure HS soccer gets.

Comment

"ECNL already has a championship planned for July (not to far apart timing-wise from when USYSA Nationals will be held). All 120 ECNL teams will be in Seattle Washington, and as the league grows one would expect these summer championships to grow larger and larger too."

That will be interesting. A Mid summer trip to Seattle for all 120 teams competing with family vacations and kid's summer work. How does that fit with tryouts that may have been held earlier in the summer, which roster goes, old or new?

Comment

In the not too distant future, it could mean that the best teams from Massachusetts (and other states) will avoid the SC competition.
                            Next year.

Comment

It's going to be very tough convincing the kids not to play high school soccer. Adults may be OK with it, but not the kids and I say this as one of those adults.
                              Very true, the chance to play for their school in their hometown with friends far outweighs any worry the kids have about the quality of soccer. With the exception of a very rare NT spot , I can't imagine any kid passing up the HS season as bad as some of those games can sometimes be.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X