Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An expensive lesson in soccer discipline

I may have lost my team a game this weekend. But it was the right thing to do.

http://acoachinglife.wordpress.com/2...er-discipline/

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I may have lost my team a game this weekend. But it was the right thing to do.

http://acoachinglife.wordpress.com/2...er-discipline/
    Agreed. You did the right thing. Whether it is playing soccer, baseball, hockey, etc... refs are human and they are going to make mistakes. Just like every athlete out there makes mistakes... (and coaches too). Teaching the kids to focus on the game and on the things they can control are good lessons. And enforcing the team rules - regardless of the consequence - is just as important a lesson as any.

Comment

Lighten up Sensei

Sure, enforcing team rules is the right thing to do. But if you are not coaching u11s get yourself some new team rules as you are not doing your players or your team any favors. If you are coaching kids they are not developing in a vacuum. This zero tolerance for communication is silly.

One of our team rules is this: “The only thing you say to a ref is ‘yes sir’ and ‘no sir’ and then only in response to a question.” I’ve benched players who threw their hands up in exasperation at the ref. I’ve benched players who shouted “come on” after getting fouled. In other words, I enforce this rule.

There are many respectful ways to communicate with an official. A good referee wants young players to learn and grow from every game played and understanding calls made is important; dialogue happens. A good official communicates with the players on the field and it helps keep the game in control. If the referee does not like what your player has to say he will let them know. Can they ask for 10 on a free kick or do you bench them?

Comment

I don't hink having a "team rule" regarding limits on communication with a Referee is a good practice at all.

I beeiive that players, even young developing players, should have the ability to communicate as they feel the need to. They need to explore this terrain of commmunication, and through trial and error and experiment, learn what works and what does not.

REferee personalities are as variable as any other human. Referees generally do not like to be challenged or disrepected, but many will accpet comments and questions if directed in a particular manner. In the many years that I have been a Referee, this is one area where I constantly thrive to find the proper " groove" in regards to player /refereee communication.

There are techniques that a Referee can use, to help difuse the emotional angst of players, and still manintain the respect of the players, and control of the game. There are techniques that I have used as a coach, to help players navigate the waters of player/referee communication. I have had a good degree of success with this philosophy.Very few of the players I have coached have ever received cautions for dissent, and after many years as a referee, I believe I give out less cautions for dissent then I did over a decade ago. In takes time, and effort, just like building up other areas of the " player's game " , to mold the complete , experienced player. It also takes time to develop into a Referee that is a credit to the game, one who protects the integrity of the players at all times.

Comment

Good points. The team rules need to be modified because players should be able to question calls; but not in a disrespectful way. That is easier to do in a sport like baseball because the action frequently stops. In soccer, this is not the case and can be more difficult.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X