Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are the "other" kids

Why minority kids are unrepresented in club soccer and why that's hurting everyone.

http://acoachinglife.wordpress.com/2...he-other-kids/

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why minority kids are unrepresented in club soccer and why that's hurting everyone.

Decent coaching is not free, especially in this country.

Comment

Just wait a while the Democrats are working on a plan to solve this that they are sure we will love. Unfortunately the CBO forecasts it will cause a deficit that will leave our kids in the dark ages and all the coaches will leave the sport because they can't get paid a decent wage. They do expect 13 million minorities to begin playing soccer though. Perhaps we should start lobbying for legislation to help the suburban kids who are underrepresented in college basketball as well.
      Last edited by beentheredonethat; 03-23-2010, 06:33 AM.

Comment

why dont you sponsor a few? or even give to programs that do? put your money where your mouth is..

Comment

http://www.mpsbr.com/community/index_E.html

Comment

My daughter and son played futsal this winter and their coach picked up some Brazilian kids each week because they did not have transportation. Great players. Added a lot to the team. Scholarships weren't the only issue.

Comment

My daughter and son played futsal this winter and their coach picked up some Brazilian kids each week because they did not have transportation. Great players. Added a lot to the team. Scholarships weren't the only issue.
              I know the Cujo-haters will wail but about 6 years ago in the old MAPLE forum I posted a notice that there were 4 16 year old minority boys looking to play club soccer but they needed financial help. All were from single parent homes. Not a single taker but more than a few thinly veiled "keep 'em in the back of the bus" recommendations.

More than a few well to do white suburbanites clearly understand that bringing Latin and South American players onto a suburban club team will threaten their kid's playing time and the status quo of the team.

In many ways club soccer is like Augusta National in the early 60's. Sad but true.

Comment

Originally posted by Cujo View Post
                I know the Cujo-haters will wail but about 6 years ago in the old MAPLE forum I posted a notice that there were 4 16 year old minority boys looking to play club soccer but they needed financial help. All were from single parent homes. Not a single taker but more than a few thinly veiled "keep 'em in the back of the bus" recommendations.

More than a few well to do white suburbanites clearly understand that bringing Latin and South American players onto a suburban club team will threaten their kid's playing time and the status quo of the team.

In many ways club soccer is like Augusta National in the early 60's. Sad but true.
                Its all over, I was at the Jefferson Cup last weekend and and there weren't many. Not many of the white suburanites are wealthy enough to fund 2 kids or more. Its up to the clubs to outreach, seems to me most are a cash cow. At the end of the day I would think it would be good for the clubs to have best team possible as it will lure in the younger players to fill multiple U9 10 and 11 teams

Comment

Originally posted by Cujo View Post

We don't hate you. Just disagree with your politics and "know it all" attitude. I remember your post of several years back and thought it was a noble effort. Our club has sponsored many players over the years that came from financially challenged households. Didn’t matter what color or nationality, just that they work hard to earn the position. No player was ever turned away due to the inability to pay.

The issue with you is that you paint everyone that disagrees with your point of view, with the same broad brush. Not everyone from the "white, suburban" communities are heartless ba$tard$.

Comment

We don't hate you. Just disagree with your politics and "know it all" attitude. I remember your post of several years back and thought it was a noble effort. Our club has sponsored many players over the years that came from financially challenged households. Didn’t matter what color or nationality, just that they work hard to earn the position. No player was ever turned away due to the inability to pay.

The issue with you is that you paint everyone that disagrees with your point of view, with the same broad brush. Not everyone from the "white, suburban" communities are heartless ba$tard$.
                    Never said that all were heartless bastards but there are still too many. FYI - I am not a know it all but I certainly have a better ordered set of priorities than a fair number of posters.

Comment

I don't think club soccer (hockey, lacrosse, ...) is the answer for the poor immigrant community for the most part - at least not yet. (I might add its not the answer for my kids - too much time away from other activities - that my wife says are more important ...).

I don't follow youth basketball (and I'm sure youth basketball has changed since my youth) but maybe a basketball model, whatever that might be, is better. Or baseball?

IMHO, It needs to start within the community - more like town soccer - first.

Comment

Your missing the true reason! One which no one ever talks about because they don't want to be labled. I've always said that in order to be truly the best in any sport it shouldn't matter what race you are or how much money you have. The one thing I've learned in all my years with youth sports and especially with club soccer is that I really don't think race is an issue but I certainly think money plays a major role and if you don't have the money your not going anywhere.

Comment

Your missing the true reason! One which no one ever talks about because they don't want to be labled. I've always said that in order to be truly the best in any sport it shouldn't matter what race you are or how much money you have. The one thing I've learned in all my years with youth sports and especially with club soccer is that I really don't think race is an issue but I certainly think money plays a major role and if you don't have the money your not going anywhere.
                          Good to know. I got dough.

Comment

These are "the others"

http://z.about.com/d/lost/1/0/1/k/-/-/Group.jpg

Comment

ODP has the scholarship money. I know two kids in Framingham who need a ride to ODP tryouts, and if they make it, every other week. The money is there. Let's get some volunteers.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X