Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chest Trapping - what's up with that?

It seems to be a recent trend but I am seeing more and more players trapping the ball by receiving it on their chest (which is perfect) but then squeezing their arms together and dropping the ball to their feet. These are not young inexperienced players but skilled U16's and up and some former college players.

If the ball makes contact with the arm and it was intentional or avoidable during the trap I have been calling handling. Several of the players asked me about it and I explained that it was not a legal way to trap the ball. They explained that this is how they had been taught and their coaches had demonstrated the technique to them. It seems to be predominantly on the boys side.

Originally posted by Cujo View Post
    It seems to be a recent trend but I am seeing more and more players trapping the ball by receiving it on their chest (which is perfect) but then squeezing their arms together and dropping the ball to their feet. These are not young inexperienced players but skilled U16's and up and some former college players.

If the ball makes contact with the arm and it was intentional or avoidable during the trap I have been calling handling. Several of the players asked me about it and I explained that it was not a legal way to trap the ball. They explained that this is how they had been taught and their coaches had demonstrated the technique to them. It seems to be predominantly on the boys side.
    one technique is to cave-in the chest a little (shoullders will come forward and in a bit), but shoulders or arms should never squeeze the ball. maybe that style has morphed into what you are seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cujo View Post

I used to try to do this 20 years ago and it was a foul back then too.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        one technique is to cave-in the chest a little (shoullders will come forward and in a bit), but shoulders or arms should never squeeze the ball. maybe that style has morphed into what you are seeing.
        I gave it up after several nipple ring injuries

Comment

I'm all for controlling the ball on the chest, kids just need to do it the correct way and how it falls within the laws of the game.

There's no need for the arms to be anywhere near the ball if executed correctly. In reality the elbows should be driven backwards, kinda like how a skier takes off, and the chest puffed out accordingly.

Comment

I'm all for controlling the ball on the chest, kids just need to do it the correct way and how it falls within the laws of the game.

There's no need for the arms to be anywhere near the ball if executed correctly. In reality the elbows should be driven backwards, kinda like how a skier takes off, and the chest puffed out accordingly.
            Chest puffed out to receive a ball. You are kidding, right?

Comment

You can have the players put their arms out as if they are ready to hug a tree. Elbows out, chest in, arms should be plenty enough away from the ball. They are also being eco-friendly with the hug-a-tree technique.

Comment

I like to use my chest to pass

Comment

I like to use my chest to pass
                  well ten, i trust you wouldn't be using yer arms now, would ya

Comment

How about when a keeper catches the ball, then drops it to the ground to punt? Is it back in play once it hits the ground? Or is that considered part of the keepers punt and the other team is unable to pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by 14Soccer View Post
                      How about when a keeper catches the ball, then drops it to the ground to punt? Is it back in play once it hits the ground? Or is that considered part of the keepers punt and the other team is unable to pressure?
                      If it is part of a drop kick or punt motion then it is off limits. If they are dribbling around, or put the ball away from them to kick it off the turf, then they are fair game.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X