Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Status of Maple Proposal ?

What is the status of the following Maple proposal?

PROPOSAL ON LICENSING OF COACHES

PROPOSAL: Create new by-law mandating all MAPLE coaches hold minimum coaching licenses.

RATIONALE: To better serve the youth players in the state of Massachusetts this by-law ensures all MAPLE coaches will be familiar with the “rules of the game” and have knowledge of the basic tenets of coaching soccer. This by-law will also bring MAPLE into compliance with recommendations by USSF. Most comparable leagues throughout the country already require coaches to be licensed.

LICENSING GUIDELINE:

Coaches for teams U-10 to U-11

o Minimum USSF State “F” or equivalent

o Courses require minimum 8 hours of training

o NO Grace period

o Information on courses available at www.mayouthsoccer.org, www.ussoccer.com, and www.nscaa.com

Coaches for teams U-12 to U-18

o Minimum USSF State “E” or equivalent

o Courses require minimum 13 hours of training

o 1 year grace period to acquire License

o Information on courses available at www.mayouthsoccer.org, www.ussoccer.com, and www.nscaa.com

Directors of Coaching

o Minimum USSF “C” or equivalent

o Courses require minimum 40 hours

o 1 year grace period to acquire license

SANCTIONS FOR NON-COMPLIANCE: Sanctions may include, but not be limited to, warning, probation, suspension, fine, expulsion. It is the individual Club's responsibility to ensure compliance. Information will be required during the registration process providing proof of licensure.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

PROPOSAL: Create new by-law mandating all MAPLE coaches hold minimum coaching licenses.

RATIONALE: To better serve the youth players in the state of Massachusetts this by-law ensures all MAPLE coaches will be familiar with the “rules of the game” and have knowledge of the basic tenets of coaching soccer. This by-law will also bring MAPLE into compliance with recommendations by USSF. Most comparable leagues throughout the country already require coaches to be licensed.

LICENSING GUIDELINE:

o NO Grace period

Directors of Coaching

SANCTIONS FOR NON-COMPLIANCE: Sanctions may include, but not be limited to, warning, probation, suspension, fine, expulsion. It is the individual Club's responsibility to ensure compliance. Information will be required during the registration process providing proof of licensure.
    The meeting and vote is scheduled for March 30th.

Comment

LICENSING GUIDELINE:

o NO Grace period

Directors of Coaching

God I hope so, lets face it, this is not setting the bar real high....

Comment

I'm curious about the part regarding minimum DOC requirements. Do most clubs even have a DOC? Is a DOC required to be considered a club? If not, then how can there be a minimum standard?

Comment

Originally posted by Beachbum View Post
          I think this is a step in the right direction. Would like to see D or better though for U12+. That being said MAPLE needs to step up and sponsor the D classes and get at least 1 C class per year into MASS. Furthermore the policy of allowing clubs to sponsor the D AND give preference to in-house candidates is non-sensical. I had to wait a year to get a spot in the D class because I was getting bumped by "locals".

Going to PA or further for over a week when you have a full time job and a family is an unreasonable hardship. Most DOC's are not making Star's DOC $$$.

Additionally the C and up still remain skewed towards playing ability as opposed to coaching ability and the D is no walk in the park especially if you take the course in August. I took the D at age 42 in the middle of an August heatwave and of the 30 odd participants there were 20 somethings that could not handle the workload and physical demands which puts even further burden on those of us who are too stupid and proud to quit. I can't remember the last time I drank 6 bottles of Gatorade and not once had to go to the bathroom.

All license levels should be geared towards teaching coaching and not being a forum for hotshot 20-somethings to show off their fab abs and mad skillZZZZZZZ. Playing ability has little correlation to coaching ability. In fact there is an inverse correlation. These are coaching licenses, if you are testing playing ability then go tryout of the A league.
          Last edited by Cujo; 03-15-2010, 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Cujo View Post
            I think this is a step in the right direction. Would like to see D or better though for U12+. That being said MAPLE needs to step up and sponsor the D classes and get at least 1 C class per year into MASS. Furthermore the policy of allowing clubs to sponsor the D AND give preference to in-house candidates is non-sensical. I had to wait a year to get a spot in the D class because I was getting bumped by "locals".

Going to PA or further for over a week when you have a full time job and a family is an unreasonable hardship. Most DOC's are not making Star's DOC $$$.

Additionally the C and up still remain skewed towards playing ability as opposed to coaching ability and the D is no walk in the park especially if you take the course in August. I took the D at age 42 in the middle of an August heatwave and of the 30 odd participants there were 20 somethings that could not handle the workload and physical demands which puts even further burden on those of us who are too stupid and proud to quit. I can't remember the last time I drank 6 bottles of Gatorade and not once had to go to the bathroom.

All license levels should be geared towards teaching coaching and not being a forum for hotshot 20-somethings to show off their fab abs and mad skillZZZZZZZ. Playing ability has little correlation to coaching ability. In fact there is an inverse correlation. These are coaching licenses, if you are testing playing ability then go tryout of the A league.
            Couldn't agree more. MAPLE and Mass. Youth Soccer should do more to make the more advanced license courses accessible to more coaches, especially the Over-40s who aren't as agile as they once were.
            We all complain about the middle-aged, under-educated coaches we encounter, but if there are only two D courses offered each year, and one is outside in 80-plus degree heat in August, no one should be surprised when the older guys don't sign up.
            The 20-somethings are a pain in the arse. I've been injured twice by young bucks during coaching courses.
            And I learn just as much by attending non-participatory events like the Soccer Champions Coaches Clinic and the NSCAA Convention, without risk of injury or heart attack.

Comment

A license does not guarantee a quality coach.

Comment

A license does not guarantee a quality coach.
                But it is a great start in the right direction.

Comment

I found the courses to be helpful. Some of it is redundant and things that you already know. But overall they made me a better coach.

My D was run by Dean Conway who really is a quality soccer mind.

If anything the course gives you the enthusiasm to continue to educate yourself and fosters a positive attitude towards young players.

It is hard to objective about yourself and the feedback (+ / -) is very helpful.

The licenses I have always wondered about are the "accents" that claim to have a B license from the Myanamar Soccer Federation. Who is verifying these certificates.

Comment

Thanks NEP!

Comment

NSCAA equivalence should also be investigated. MASC requires "E" or NSCAA Advanced Regional.

Comment

Originally posted by Cujo View Post
                        As far as I know there are very few full time coaches in MAPLE. Never mind going to PA for a week being an unreasonable hardship, having to give up two consecutive weekends or four consecutive Sundays is tough, too.
                        Why don't they run coaching courses on weeknights like college courses? Wouldn't you retain more if you digested the information in 3-4 hour blocks instead of grueling 8-hour blocks?

Comment

Originally posted by MASC View Post
                          NSCAA equivalence should also be investigated. MASC requires "E" or NSCAA Advanced Regional.

IMHO the NSCAA credentials do not hold as much weight as the USSF's. The courses and requirements are less rigorous.

Comment

As far as I know there are very few full time coaches in MAPLE. Never mind going to PA for a week being an unreasonable hardship, having to give up two consecutive weekends or four consecutive Sundays is tough, too.
                            Why don't they run coaching courses on weeknights like college courses? Wouldn't you retain more if you digested the information in 3-4 hour blocks instead of grueling 8-hour blocks?
                            Yes. Yes. And yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachbum View Post
                              This is true. However, I don't think you need to be able to play to coach. What about the person who played high school, college and ODP but can not do it anymore due to health problems?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X