X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIFA - Scrap Offsides?

http://cc.fulhamfc.com/forum/topics/...ource=activity

FIFA are considering scrapping the offside rule, according to a report in The Times.

The newspaper reports that FIFA president Sepp Blatter has discussed what would be the most radical rule change in the sport for decades.

Blatter has apparently spoken to the president of the International Hockey Federation, Leandro Nagre, about how hockey abolished the rule in the 1990s.

"He asked me a lot of questions about it and how successful it was, although he never offered an opinion, so it was difficult to judge what football might do," said Negre.

"But he did seem very interested in how we had implemented it."

The offside rule in hockey was abolished in 1998 after a trial period two years earlier, a move which has been credited with making the game more free-flowing and exciting as a spectacle.

Veteran BBC sports commentator Barry Davies firmly believed that it would be a great move for football.

"I would love to see it given a trial in the lower leagues," he said.

"It would probably take a long time for players to adjust. It's also very demanding physically, but I was amazed at how quickly hockey adapted and there's no doubt the game is better for it."

Davies believes that the abolition of offside is not the only rule that football could borrow from hockey, suggesting that the green card - which leads to a two minutes in the sin bin for players - would also work well.

Read more: http://cc.fulhamfc.com/forum/topics/...#ixzz0iFnjwos0

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

FIFA are considering scrapping the offside rule, according to a report in The Times.

The newspaper reports that FIFA president Sepp Blatter has discussed what would be the most radical rule change in the sport for decades.

Blatter has apparently spoken to the president of the International Hockey Federation, Leandro Nagre, about how hockey abolished the rule in the 1990s.

"He asked me a lot of questions about it and how successful it was, although he never offered an opinion, so it was difficult to judge what football might do," said Negre.

The offside rule in hockey was abolished in 1998 after a trial period two years earlier, a move which has been credited with making the game more free-flowing and exciting as a spectacle.

Veteran BBC sports commentator Barry Davies firmly believed that it would be a great move for football.

"It would probably take a long time for players to adjust. It's also very demanding physically, but I was amazed at how quickly hockey adapted and there's no doubt the game is better for it."

Davies believes that the abolition of offside is not the only rule that football could borrow from hockey, suggesting that the green card - which leads to a two minutes in the sin bin for players - would also work well.

That should be a good move. Two many bad offside calls. Teams are going adjust anyway. Also green card should help with the problem of two many reckless tackles.

Comment

Hockey offside rule scrapped? Don't think so. It was modified..... All they did was eliminate the two line pass prohibition at the redline. Offside within the offensive zone is as alive and well as ever.

The idea of eliminating it is nonsense. The only change that I could see would be to introduce a line that is the equivalent of the hockey blue line. In essence it would be almost the same thing. This will open play up beyond the center line.

There are other rule changes that would improve the game i.e. prohibiting goal tenders from playing the ball beyond midfield similar to the three line rule indoors. Nothing is more tedious, boring and exemplary of the frequently mindless play at the highest professional levels than watching GK's punt the ball from their box 85 yards.

Better yet would be to enforce law 12 as it was written. The clutching, holding, grabbing, and obstructing that goes on at all levels results in a lot of ugly soccer. Basketball cracked down on hand-checking and it improved the game. Hockey cracked down on interference and holding and it has improved the game.

Another possible change would be to eliminate or limiting walls on free kicks to 2 or 3 players and moving them back. Nothing is more pointless than watching a DFK hit some lunkhead defenders square in the junk. Increasing the offenses ability to score on DFK's would force defenders to think carefully about tactical fouls that ruin good scoring bids.

Another possible change would be to modify the yellow/red card system and limit fouls as in basketball. This would force players to stop the cluthching and grabbing and to allocate their fouls based on the urgency of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cujo View Post
        Hockey offside rule scrapped? Don't think so. It was modified..... All they did was eliminate the two line pass prohibition at the redline. Offside within the offensive zone is as alive and well as ever.
        I think we are talking about Field Hockey, not Ice Hockey

Comment

I think we are talking about Field Hockey
          What's this "field" hockey that you reference?

Comment

What's this "field" hockey that you reference?
            A silly sport, pay it no mind

Comment

I think we are talking about Field Hockey, not Ice Hockey

I don't know anything about field hockey. Any sport that a guy plays and has to wear a skirt is sketchy to me.

Comment

I always thought the game would be improved if the goals were smaller but that the goalies could not use their hands or arms to make saves. Goalies using only their feet, backs or faces would make the game more interesting as there would probably be increased scoring.

Comment

I always thought the game would be improved if the goals were smaller but that the goalies could not use their hands or arms to make saves. Goalies using only their feet, backs or faces would make the game more interesting as there would probably be increased scoring.
                  When somebody references hockey how many people out of 100 have the image of field hockey come to mind, 1 maybe 2?

Disagree on the goal size. If anything maybe a larger goal. I think one of the college leagues tried that for a while. NESCAC maybe?

Comment

Not knowing the first thing about field hockey has always been a source of pride for me.

Comment

Not knowing the first thing about field hockey has always been a source of pride for me.

I watched an indoor co-ed game for a few minutes the other night and for the life of me I can't figure out what is a foul and what is not. I swear to god the ref was just blowing the whistle randomly. It looked like there were fouls for standing, bending over, and running. And not running.

Comment

That should be a good move. Two many bad offside calls. Teams are going adjust anyway. Also green card should help with the problem of two many reckless tackles.
                        Is it to allow some bad refs skate on a few bad calls? Or to see higher scoring games? I see this as a bad move and would just encourage a lot of long ball, kick ball style of play. It does nothing to encourage development.

Comment

Is it to allow some bad refs skate on a few bad calls? Or to see higher scoring games? I see this as a bad move and would just encourage a lot of long ball, kick ball style of play. It does nothing to encourage development.
                          What is wrong with higher scoring games. What is it about the soccer elitist community that finds some kind of biblical paradise in a nil-nil game?

It's a game not a religion. 4-3 is ok.

Comment

This would be a fantastic move for the game. The offisides rule is frequenly called incorrectly at the youth level and many times at the pro level. How frustrating is it to see a beautiful play unfold only to have the lineman jerk his flag up to call offsides when it is unclear to any spectator wathching, that the player was actually off.

At the youth level, the quicker players are almost always called off, even though they time their runs on the kick of the ball.

The game will be far more interesting and faster flowing. I hope they do this

Comment

This would be a fantastic move for the game. The offisides rule is frequenly called incorrectly at the youth level and many times at the pro level. How frustrating is it to see a beautiful play unfold only to have the lineman jerk his flag up to call offsides when it is unclear to any spectator wathching, that the player was actually off.

At the youth level, the quicker players are almost always called off, even though they time their runs on the kick of the ball.

The game will be far more interesting and faster flowing. I hope they do this
                              So they add "blue lines" [like in hockey] and adopt that rule. i like it

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X