Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High School Soccer Question

Please explain to me the differences in high school soccer teams.

I currently have a child in middle school who plays soccer and besides looking/choosing a school with an IB program - I'd like to make an informed decision for a possible soccer program.

Currently plays on a club team in Pinellas County.

What does 6A, 2A - etc - mean??
    NO bashing please.

:)

The larger the number designation the larger the number of students enrolled at the school.

Comment

Re: High School Soccer Question

Originally posted by 2035

I currently have a child in middle school who plays soccer and besides looking/choosing a school with an IB program - I'd like to make an informed decision for a possible soccer program.

NO bashing please.

DO NOT choose your school for the soccer program. Choose it for the education/correct fit you think your child needs. That said, 6A, 2A correlates to the size of the school, hence Countryside is 6A, and Clearwater, Palm Harbor is 5A. 2A and 3A are private schools. Keep in mind if you choose Palm Harbor for IB, that she better be on a good club team or she may never see any play time. Most schools cannot field an entire team of club players, so if you are really looking at choosing for soccer, that may be a question to ask. Hope this helps.

Comment

http://www.fhsaa.org/

Look at the schools past history. Talk to club coaches and the high school AD's and coaches.

If your kid can cut it in an IB program go there don't sweat the soccer team.

Comment

High School Soccer Question

Thank you for the replys.

So, if a school is 6A, that just means the # assigned is based on size of school.

What does A mean??

Thank you :)

Comment

NO bashing please.

I have a daughter enrolled in the IB program (5A School). We did NOT choose the school based on the soccer program. The academics are more important in the long run. Please keep this in mind. :idea:

Comment

Thank you for the replys.

So, if a school is 6A, that just means the # assigned is based on size of school.

What does A mean??

Thank you :)
              All Florida schools are A in soccer. Football has schools that are B. Has to do with # of teams and the way the sport gets down to a final four for states.

Comment

NO bashing please.

If you are looking to APPLY to an IB program, you do NOT get to choose which one you want to go to. Last I heard, there is a boundary for the 2 IB schools in Pinellas County. Students north of Ulmerton apply to Palm Harbor University High School - IB Program. Students south of Ulmerton apply to St Petersburg High School. SPHS is 6A, PHUHS is 5A. Both schools have squads made up of club players, very few, if any rec players. PHUHS has done well in the past, as has SPHS. SPHS was just moved into 6A last year.

Comment

Originally posted by sokkermom

NO bashing please.

If you are looking to APPLY to an IB program, you do NOT get to choose which one you want to go to. Last I heard, there is a boundary for the 2 IB schools in Pinellas County. Students north of Ulmerton apply to Palm Harbor University High School - IB Program. Students south of Ulmerton apply to St Petersburg High School. SPHS is 6A, PHUHS is 5A. Both schools have squads made up of club players, very few, if any rec players. PHUHS has done well in the past, as has SPHS. SPHS was just moved into 6A last year.
                  If you live between Ulmerton and Gulf to Bay you can choose which IB program.

Comment

what about king? doesnt say where they live...

Comment

Depending where you live and how strong soccer teams are your daughter may not even make varsity in 9th/10th grade. Remember in HS you mave have 9th vs 12th. Knee injuries and broken bones do happen especially the smaller the player is. Remember you will be possibly playing teams that don't know how to play. Example being how long does it take to get to8-0 before or after halftime. As far as small schools only the Catholic schools are afforable most other private schools are well over 10 grand. Also with public schools size of school means nothing other than more overcrowding. Look for magnet programs or other entry points. Many IB programs are at bad schools

Comment

NO bashing please.

St.Pete and PHUHS are both excellant schools with great IB programs. And they just happen to have excellant HS coaches and programs. Please keep in mind that club soccer, HS soccer and IB are a lot to ask of a student. It can be done if your child truly enjoys academeics and is willing to work when others are out with their friends. As I write this we are at a tournament with 2 IB students. The team went out yesterday but they stayed behind and studied. Both brought a lot of books. However both are happy. You really have to know your child. I have a recent IB grad and I am not sure it was the right thing for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                          Depending where you live and how strong soccer teams are your daughter may not even make varsity in 9th/10th grade. Remember in HS you mave have 9th vs 12th. Knee injuries and broken bones do happen especially the smaller the player is. Remember you will be possibly playing teams that don't know how to play. Example being how long does it take to get to8-0 before or after halftime. As far as small schools only the Catholic schools are afforable most other private schools are well over 10 grand. Also with public schools size of school means nothing other than more overcrowding. Look for magnet programs or other entry points. Many IB programs are at bad schools
                          Look for magnet programs or other entry points. Many IB programs are at bad schools
                          What? IB programs are seperate from the rest of the school. Are you saying their academics are bad at the rest of the school? Who cares if you're in IB? Are you saying the schools are rough? Not PH or St. Pete. Our magnet programs don't come close to the IB program academically. Why would you advise someone interested in IB to look at magnet? Many are not even as strong as regular honors programs.. Catholic schools are only under 10 grand if you are Catholic (over 7 grand), but I heard some of them are offering IB now. Lastly, any decent college bound soccer player makes her HS varsity team as a freshman. Most girls are done growing by the time they start HS.
                          DON'T PICK YOUR HS FOR SOCCER. ACADENICS ARE WHAT MATTERS. THE CLUB TEAM TAKES CARE OF THE SOCCER END.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X