Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hs tournaments

why do hs teams do tournaments on holiday when club teams are training for showcase tournaments- dont they cram enough games in and realize these players are getting over trained.

Re: hs tournaments

Originally posted by Anonymous
    why do hs teams do tournaments on holiday when club teams are training for showcase tournaments- dont they cram enough games in and realize these players are getting over trained.
    Why club players ditch their HS teams to go to tournaments?

Comment

Because the tournament the club teams attend are showcase tournaments with college coaches attending also. It is a chance for them to have exposure. A player would be an idiot to attend a high school tournaent rather than a club showcase event!

Comment

I know as far as my son't team goes, the coach knows that the starters are often gone with their club teams, so it gives them a chance to give the non-starters (#15-28 on the roster) some play time. Without JV soccer on the boy's side, there are way too many kids on the team and most coaches feel bad about the ones that sit the bench night after night.

Comment

Because the tournament the club teams attend are showcase tournaments with college coaches attending also. It is a chance for them to have exposure. A player would be an idiot to attend a high school tournaent rather than a club showcase event!
          Actually, its the idiots that chase soccer scholarships. The smart ones get academic scholarships. Are you aware that most soccer scholarships are partials - 1/4 mostly. Occaisionally - 1/2. Only the Bradenton boys get the full ride.

Comment

Actually, its the idiots that chase soccer scholarships. The smart ones get academic scholarships. Are you aware that most soccer scholarships are partials - 1/4 mostly. Occaisionally - 1/2. Only the Bradenton boys get the full ride.
            My daughter on a 75% soccer - 25% academic, would disagree with you!

Comment

Relax a bit. No one said to skip going to school and play soccer. The advice was to choose a showcase tournament over a high school event. Most dedicated athletes are also good students.

Comment

Relax a bit. No one said to skip going to school and play soccer. The advice was to choose a showcase tournament over a high school event. Most dedicated athletes are also good students.
                Good point. Also I think most players are more concerned with finding the right fit for them at college. They are looking for the right coach with the right program that meets there desire and that's in addition to looking for the right college with the academics and environment they want. It makes perfect sense to play in front of coaches from schools you may want to attend instead of a HS game. I know my daughter is not chasing scholorships although I am pretty certain she will get one but I would rahter pay for all her college than send her to the wrong program because it's paid for. Our concern is finding the right program for her and the more exposure, the better.

Comment

Good point. Also I think most players are more concerned with finding the right fit for them at college. They are looking for the right coach with the right program that meets there desire and that's in addition to looking for the right college with the academics and environment they want. It makes perfect sense to play in front of coaches from schools you may want to attend instead of a HS game. I know my daughter is not chasing scholorships although I am pretty certain she will get one but I would rahter pay for all her college than send her to the wrong program because it's paid for. Our concern is finding the right program for her and the more exposure, the better.
                  Agree 100%. The more exposure they get at these tournaments, the better the chance they find the perfect fit. BTW, I only pay for room and board. All the tuition is soccer money.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X