X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High School Referee Certification

Just a question.

How do referees become certified? We've had a few that I think won their certification in a raffle.

Re: High School Referee Certification

Originally posted by JUSTCURIOUS
    Just a question.

How do referees become certified? We've had a few that I think won their certification in a raffle.
    LOL They are the worst. I don't know what they need to get certified, but in my area, whatever it its, seems to be something only the old or incompetent have.

Comment

Prerequisites to be a High School Referee....

1. must be over 45
      2. cannot not see further than two feet
      3. cannot run the length of the field
      4. must be able to hold a grudge against the crowd
      5. must be able to make up rules as you go along
      6. must be able to whip cards out of one's pocket

I am sure there are more than I can think of right now!

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
        Prerequisites to be a High School Referee....

1. must be over 45
        2. cannot not see further than two feet
        3. cannot run the length of the field
        4. must be able to hold a grudge against the crowd
        5. must be able to make up rules as you go along
        6. must be able to whip cards out of one's pocket

I am sure there are more than I can think of right now!
        7. must never ref decent level club games.
        8. must have preconceived grudges against schools or teams
        9. must always call a fast runner offside
        10. must decide between allowing a slugfest or no touching - nothing in between
        11 must either have never played or never played well
        12 must always give a call in favor of the player that falls or dives

Comment

There are a couple of good HS refs, but they also ref club games and are good there as well. The overwhelming majority of HS refs do not ref club and are horrible officials. I have yet to see a quality HS ref who didn't ref club. They are one step above a skid row bum. My apologies to skid row bums everywhere.

Comment

There are a couple of good HS refs, but they also ref club games and are good there as well. The overwhelming majority of HS refs do not ref club and are horrible officials. I have yet to see a quality HS ref who didn't ref club. They are one step above a skid row bum. My apologies to skid row bums everywhere.
            lol

Comment

We just had a ref give a red card to a H.S. J.V girl for saying " You've got to be freaking kidding me" which resulted in a 6 game suspension, a few games later another team playing against the suspended j.v players team starting throwing punches in the middle of the game in which the ref broke up the fight, the girl throwing the punches received a red card and only a 2 game suspension . Hummmm something is wrong here, there are no consistent ref's around the state. Each ref has there own theory, funny thing was those ref's also ref other high school sports such as v-ball, and b-ball I'm thinking they have their sports mixed up.

Comment

Originally posted by soccer365
                We just had a ref give a red card to a H.S. J.V girl for saying " You've got to be freaking kidding me" which resulted in a 6 game suspension, a few games later another team playing against the suspended j.v players team starting throwing punches in the middle of the game in which the ref broke up the fight, the girl throwing the punches received a red card and only a 2 game suspension . Hummmm something is wrong here, there are no consistent ref's around the state. Each ref has there own theory, funny thing was those ref's also ref other high school sports such as v-ball, and b-ball I'm thinking they have their sports mixed up.
                The way that discipline is handled in HS soccer is so insane. Drop a f-bomb in HS soccer, get a red card, a $250 fine and a six game suspension. Drop a f-bomb in a HS football game, MAYBE get a 15 yard penalty, don't even have to leave the field, no fine and no suspension. I seriously don't get it.

Should be even better next year when there are three refs on the field with whistles. I can't wait.

Comment

What is scary (at least to me) is the refs that don't have a clue and allow things that border on violence. Guess they are blind. I just pray that no one gets hurt...(rare anymore that there isn't at least one injury and then you are left praying it isn't major)

Comment

I'd also like to know how they get assigned. We have had the same HS Principal ref every home game we have had so far. There's a little crosstown rivalry between our two schools and he lets it show in his calls. I hope someone has the sense not to assign him to our field when we play his school next week. This past game, he made an out of bounds call while the ball was still in play. He just stood there with his flag up, (out of bounds on us of course) until the ball did go out of bounds.

Comment

our team always gets it done and the refs even tell us if its a closer game, they would make the call- or give the call to us. what is that teaching?

Comment

Talk to your A.D. he should be able to tell you which ref association you have contracted with. The assignor is one of the refs or a retired ref. How about this new requirment they are kicking around that every coach has to ref a game during the season and the refs would be invited to be evaluators and spectators.

Comment

Talk to your A.D. he should be able to tell you which ref association you have contracted with. The assignor is one of the refs or a retired ref. How about this new requirment they are kicking around that every coach has to ref a game during the season and the refs would be invited to be evaluators and spectators.
                          Maybe the ref's would learn a few things.

Comment

Maybe the ref's would learn a few things.
                            I think there is a coach [maybe a former coach] in the Hillsborough/Pinellas/Pasco area that does ref games. She is atrocious. Probably, the worst ref I have ever seen.

Comment

http://www.nfhs.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... forum;f=14

Here's their forum hangout. Tell them how you really feel.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X