•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Middle School Players Playing HS Ball

Originally posted by Anonymous
    Berkley prep is cruising right along....they look like a contender for the 3A state championship
    Berkeley is doing well, but they are a very young team. It would be suprising to see them go that far with a mostly freshman team.
    There is an 8th grader on this team that is VERY good, her second year playing. She will be playing 6 years for this high school. What are your opinions of this?

Re: high school scores

Berkley prep is cruising right along....they look like a contender for the 3A state championship
    Berkeley is doing well, but they are a very young team. It would be suprising to see them go that far with a mostly freshman team.
    There is an 8th grader on this team that is VERY good, her second year playing. She will be playing 6 years for this high school. What are your opinions of this?
    What does it matter, as long as it is within the FSHAA rules?

Comment

It's Div 3A high school soccer, whoopee.

Comment

It's Div 3A high school soccer, whoopee.
        It matters to the children involved. Grow up!

Comment

I say she's lucky they agreed to pay her way through school so she could play soccer for them. She's not the first and she won't be the last.

Comment

I say she's lucky they agreed to pay her way through school so she could play soccer for them. She's not the first and she won't be the last.
            This was on another thread.
            Since I brought the subject up, what do you guys think of schools being allowed to have players on varsity more than 4 years? I don't think there is anything wrong with small schools being able to bring up their middle schoolers to play so that they have enough kids to field a team. and to let them play for more than 4 years. But if the school is big enough to not be in the snallest class (1A), I think the player should only play 4 years. CH was arguably one of the better hs players when she was in 7th grade. Why should a school be able to have someone like her for 6 years just because they have middle and hs on the same campus? I think the intent of the rule was to help small schools with numbers and that it was assumed that the young players would be in supporting roles, especially when you remember that most athletic rules were made with boys in mind (football, basketball, baseball) where there is a very big difference in size between a hschooler and middleschooler.
            I understand the argument here,, but what a waste of time it would be for someone like her to play JV!!!
            No more of a waste of time than all the other standout players that go to regular middle schools that don't have high school affiliations. They don't play hs soccer in middle school. Some middle schools don't even have soccer. The high schools they go to only get the benefit of their participation for four years. She didn't have to play jv or varsity. She was busy with club, just like everyone else.[/quote]

Comment

I understand the argument here,, but what a waste of time it would be for someone like her to play JV!!![/quote]No more of a waste of time than all the other standout players that go to regular middle schools that don't have high school affiliations. They don't play hs soccer in middle school. Some middle schools don't even have soccer. The high schools they go to only get the benefit of their participation for four years. She didn't have to play jv or varsity. She was busy with club, just like everyone else.[/quote][/quote]

Your not making any sense,,,, the argument(basicly) was whether or not its fair that an eighth grader plays varisty,,, not whether a middle schooler plays or just sticks with club,,,
              She is fortunate enough to be at a private school where they allow 7th & 8th graders to play varsity,,,, playing JV is a waste of time for her,, the level of jv soccer is terrible

Comment

I understand the argument here,, but what a waste of time it would be for someone like her to play JV!!!
                No more of a waste of time than all the other standout players that go to regular middle schools that don't have high school affiliations. They don't play hs soccer in middle school. Some middle schools don't even have soccer. The high schools they go to only get the benefit of their participation for four years. She didn't have to play jv or varsity. She was busy with club, just like everyone else.
                Your not making any sense,,,, the argument(basicly) was whether or not its fair that an eighth grader plays varisty,,, not whether a middle schooler plays or just sticks with club,,,
                She is fortunate enough to be at a private school where they allow 7th & 8th graders to play varsity,,,, playing JV is a waste of time for her,, the level of jv soccer is terrible
                That post made perfect sense. The argument was whether or not she should play for more than 4 years at a school that's big enough to field a team and compete without her. She doesn't need to play jv or varsity in middle school. Just like all the other great players that are in normal middle schools.

Comment

That post made perfect sense. The argument was whether or not she should play for more than 4 years at a school that's big enough to field a team and compete without her. She doesn't need to play jv or varsity in middle school. Just like all the other great players that are in normal middle schools.[/quote] Who cares about normal middle schools,,, shes not at a normal middle school,,, your comparing apples and oranges!!!! she has a great opportunity to play high school soccer for 6 years,, nothing wrong with that

Comment

That post made perfect sense. The argument was whether or not she should play for more than 4 years at a school that's big enough to field a team and compete without her. She doesn't need to play jv or varsity in middle school. Just like all the other great players that are in normal middle schools.
                    Who cares about normal middle schools,,, shes not at a normal middle school,,, your comparing apples and oranges!!!! she has a great opportunity to play high school soccer for 6 years,, nothing wrong with that[/quote]You're obviously too dimwitted to follow the point.
                    But I agree with the last guy. This belongs on a different thread. This one should be for scores. That's why it's a sticky. Maybe the moderator can move it to the thread the other post was on.

Comment

There is at least one more there this year, going for free. I would be the first to admit, I would send mine, if they paid.

Comment

Look at impact the U15 TB girls are having at high school level for Boca High, Spanish River, Pope John Paul and St Andrews this year. Their are 7th and 8th graders that would have even a higher impact if allowed to play this year if allowed to play.

Comment

Re: Middle School Players Playing HS Ball

Girls mature at an earlier age then boys, and there are a lot of big, skilled girls in 7th and 8th grade who can compete with high school girls. I don't seem them being the play makers at state cup. What I do see is parents and high school players who are upset that a younger player took their starting position.

Comment

I have 2 MS kids on my current varsity roster. One is a playmaker at the state cup level. I had 5 MS kids on my JV roster. All of them 8th graders. If they can play at that level they should play at that level. We have a MS team that was made up of 6th & 7th graders and 3 8th graders. My job is to build my program. I am fortunate enough to have some high level, young club players that attend my school (on their own dime, I might add). Why would I put them on the MS team if they can contribute to my varsity squad. Did I have some HS aged JV girls upset that a MS aged girl was on varsity, probably. However, they would have been just as upset had they been on varisty and sat the bench the whole time.

Coaches have to realize that you will never have a team where everyone is happy. Someone is always upset at something. The first priority is the players. If an 8th grader can play varsity, let her.

Comment

Originally posted by Slidetackle
                              I have 2 MS kids on my current varsity roster. One is a playmaker at the state cup level. I had 5 MS kids on my JV roster. All of them 8th graders. If they can play at that level they should play at that level. We have a MS team that was made up of 6th & 7th graders and 3 8th graders. My job is to build my program. I am fortunate enough to have some high level, young club players that attend my school (on their own dime, I might add). Why would I put them on the MS team if they can contribute to my varsity squad. Did I have some HS aged JV girls upset that a MS aged girl was on varsity, probably. However, they would have been just as upset had they been on varisty and sat the bench the whole time.

Coaches have to realize that you will never have a team where everyone is happy. Someone is always upset at something. The first priority is the players. If an 8th grader can play varsity, let her.
                              got any 5th grade homeschoolers on your team?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X