Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are The Revs Penny Pinching?

Just to take a break from the youth sports for a moment. Is it just me, or does anybody else think the krafts are holding the purse strings a little too tight. Steve Nicols has done well with the resources available to him. But it's time to spend some cash and bring in a player or players that can help this team to really build a following. I think kraft is turning into the Charlie Jacobs of the soccer world.

He needs the money to re-sign Randy Moss.

Comment

I've thought of the comparison to the Bruins and Jacobs as well.

The Revs have had the lowest payroll the last 3 straight years. They've always been well under the salary cap.

They are treating the Revs as an investment that they are "holding". They are interested in spending as little money as they can get away with.

Cancela, Hernandez, Dempsey, Noonan and Dorman are all gone largely because of their current or future salaries. None of those players have been replaced with equivalent quality, or at all.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^

I should add that the Rev's "cheapness" is now even noticed by fans of other teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous

The Revs have had the lowest payroll the last 3 straight years. They've always been well under the salary cap.

They are treating the Revs as an investment that they are "holding". They are interested in spending as little money as they can get away with.

Cancela, Hernandez, Dempsey, Noonan and Dorman are all gone largely because of their current or future salaries. None of those players have been replaced with equivalent quality, or at all.
          Much of this is controlled by MLS. No the Krafts.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^

I should add that the Rev's "cheapness" is now even noticed by fans of other teams.
            How so?

Comment

They should get this kid....he must have played for the almighty Stars.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Comment

Much of this is controlled by MLS. No the Krafts.
                It's totally under the control of the Krafts. They're many $100K under the cap every year. If they wanted to spend more money they could - MLS is not stopping them.

Comment

For such smart business people they dont seem to realise what a huge impact bringing in a marquee player would bring. Im sorry but taylor twellman et al are not going to get more people to attend games.

Comment

I disagree, some are gone because they just weren't playing enough and were out of favor with Nicol (Cancela, Dorman), others were chomping to play overseas (Dempsey in particular).

The Revs are the Patriots of soccer -- look at Tom Brady's salary compared to other QBs, look at the cut Randy Moss took to come to a winning team. the Revs produce good teams that make it deep into the playoffs on a consistent basis, with no real "stars." They are a team and that's why they win (something some of the promoters of their U-11 daughters on this forum might want to remember sometimes).

Comment

They should get this kid....he must have played for the almighty Stars.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Don't be silly the Stars don't have boys teams

Comment

Yes agreed its great to win,but you need a team that can generate excitment. This team no matter how hardworking they may be are not putting arses in the seats!

Comment

that's because it's soccer........ in America...... in New England. Not because the Revs don't have a star player.

Comment

Do you mean that it doesnt matter who they sign people still will not attend? I disagree, forget about the Beckham frenzy, look at the buzz generated when Blanco was brought to MLS.

Comment

Yes, I don't think it will make a huge difference over time (maybe for one or two games). Not here in New England. (I'm a season ticket holder, so maybe I'm just cynical).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X