Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEASE + FHSAA = Corrupt

Here is the link for the article on the Nease football team. If you were were on the message boards for soccer last year, you know that the boosters ran off a winning coach and the program was in turmoil. Now we find out that football is ridiculous and baseball has prior violated too.

How can the FHSAA let them get off with just a fine (nothing for a town like Ponte Vedra and a football booster club that has hundreds of thousands of $’s.) Are they afraid of the lawyers from a rich town? Or is it football so they let it go? This whole thing smells like the rich town cutting a deal with state authority to get off easy!

The football coach admits to knowing about the violation. Is he fired? Is the AD fired because most of his sports are in turmoil and the Boosters apparently run the athletic program?

Does anyone care about education? What they teaching the boys on the football team and the boys that played against them? If you get caught, pay a fine but go for it in the playoffs?

Where’s the princicpal? Her quotes in the article below are insulting or forgivable because she is the village idiot.

"We do not believe the intent was to induce the student-athlete to attend Nease, but the circumstances created the appearance of improper conduct," principal Linda Thomson wrote. "In addition, we regret that the student-athlete [and his father] lived in the same residence as the assistant coach and was occasionally transported by the assistant coach, which violated FHSAA policy."

"The motto of our football program is 'character, strength, and honor,' " Thomson noted in Nease's statement. "And we will continue to stress those values."

Incredible! Is there really just one violation? Did FHSAA look at the financial records for the Booster clubs? Follow the money.

Since it appears that the boosters run the athletic program at Nease and if your child is not a “recruitedâ€￾ player, then how much does it cost (donation) to play football or soccer or baseball or basketball or volleyball?

This smells! There are links below if you want let FHSAA anf the St Johns County Superintendent know what you think.

Nease fined, put on probation

FHSAA says football player received improper benefits; team still qualifies for playoffs.

By CHASE GOODBREAD, The Times-Union
    http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/s ... 8008.shtml

Dr. Joseph Joyner
    Superintendent of Schools
    joynerj@stjohns.k12.fl.us

Florida High School Athletic Association
    Dorothy W. Brunson
    Director of Compliance & Eligibility
    Responsibilities: eligibility rulings and related issues; appeals of eligibility rulings and undue hardship waiver requests
    Phone: (352) 372-9551 ext. 230; Fax: (352) 373-1528
    E-mail: dbrunson@fhsaa.org

Samuel A. (Sonny) Hester
    Associate Commissioner for Compliance & Eligibility
    Responsibilities: eligibility enforcement and compliance; legislative and legal affairs; oversight of athletic operations
    Phone: (352) 372-9551 ext. 110; Fax: (352) 372-9086
    E-mail: shester@fhsaa.org

I think you are overracting. You must have some association with the school and a major case of wealth envy.

Using ineligible players always causes forfeiture of games. That was not the case here. He was eligible - simple. Recruiting and inducement violations usually include fines and probation. The fact that the baseball program was already on probation for other violations is what made these penalties so high. Schools that continue to recruit are then banned from post season.

You can't expect or want the FHSAA to give different penalties to schools based on their wealth or public or private status. They need to be consistent. It seems to me that they did what they usually do, but made the fine and probation more severe because of them already being in trouble with another team.

By the way, the baseball violation was practicing at the wrong time of year. A rule that seems to have a lot of loopholes. I don't know the details at this school, but it's probably inadvertently violated by many schools. I still can't figure it out. What's the difference between open gym and practice when the coaches are there? How come teams (with their coach) can play in leagues out of season, but another team can't together with a ball and their coach?

Comment

[quote="Anonymous"]I think you are overracting. You must have some association with the school and a major case of wealth envy.

I agree with this. And there is a detail - who reported all this to FHSAA:

"Mike O'Loughlin, the county's director for alternative education and athletics, routinely handles allegations that come in from around the county and tries to separate claims of merit from baseless ones. But this had been tackled from a few angles, with Thomson (Nease principal) noticing the discrepancy in late September and turning it over to the school district and O'Loughlin forwarding that to the FHSAA."

So let's get all the facts out ...

Comment

This penalty is NOT consistent!! Ask the coach at Potters House.....

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
          Do you bother thinking? Potter's house had an ineligible player. Intentional or not, they have to forfeit any game the player participated in. Recruiting is a different offense and FHSAA has been consistent in handing out punishment for that. You are comparing apples with oranges. What part don't you get?

Comment

Do you bother thinking? Potter's house had an ineligible player. Intentional or not, they have to forfeit any game the player participated in. Recruiting is a different offense and FHSAA has been consistent in handing out punishment for that. You are comparing apples with oranges. What part don't you get?
            If you don't think it's consistent, name one school that had to forfeit their post-season for recruiting without being fined and/or put on probation first.
            The schools that used inelligible players didn't have to forfeit their post seasons either. They just had to forfeit any came the ineligible player participated in. In case you forgot, that's cheating. Too bad Potters had him play the entire year. The only one to blame is whomever is responsible for making sure all of their players are eligible. Technicallities or not, that's their job. Many schools have had to forfeit games and still ended up in the post season.

Comment

Sure no problem. Nease is clean as a whistle. They cut a deal and they're just praying that nobody looks any further. Do any you appologists think that every check written to and and from that booster club account could hold up? If you do there's some swampland i want to sell you.

Comment

The whole thing with Nease that i don't get is this, they get put on probation right, why don't you just put the football team and baseball team on probation, the teams that got cault. Nope every team in the school is now on probation for 5 years with different restrictions. Now that doesn't make sense to me to put penalties on other sports teams in the school that had nothing to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tman
                  The whole thing with Nease that i don't get is this, they get put on probation right, why don't you just put the football team and baseball team on probation, the teams that got cault. Nope every team in the school is now on probation for 5 years with different restrictions. Now that doesn't make sense to me to put penalties on other sports teams in the school that had nothing to do with it.
                  You may not get that, but I don't get what "cault" means. Did you go to school in Jacksonville too? There is no way that's a typo. You really think that's a word. OMG!

Comment

Sure no problem. Nease is clean as a whistle. They cut a deal and they're just praying that nobody looks any further. Do any you appologists think that every check written to and and from that booster club account could hold up? If you do there's some swampland i want to sell you.
                    What's wrong with you? How many different subjects are you going to mix togehter? I actually should say" How many problems do you have?"
                    I'm not a Nease apologist, I'm a realist and not from your area. The facts, as presented, are very simple. The punishment is very consistent with what FHSAA has done in the past, except that it was more severe. If they cut a deal, they paid for the worst deal any other school has gotten. If you want to audit booster club finances, you are on a completely different subject that doesn't apply to recruiting violations or their penalties. Haven't you had a logic class yet?
                    Lastly, why are you so emotionally involved with Nease? Do you have kids there? Do you have it in for their AD? Is it just an immature rivalry? Or do you hate people that can afford to live in that school district? You could probably benefit from counseling. This can't be the only area of your life that you have issues.

Comment

Why don't you just name one school like they asked instead of making further accusations? Why did you want Nease to be the first school to be banned from post season for recruiting, without being put on probation first? Why would they have to write a check to prevent something that isn't done anyway? You're not making any sense.

Comment

Not making sense? That poster is saying there should be an audit of the booster club. And I'll bet you my left... that doing one would uncover a whole bunch of stuff. All we've heard about is the smoke. You know there is fire. It's dirty program. And there are probably a lot like them across the state and country but that does not excuse Nease.

Remember, this is a school where children are supposed to learn. What are they learning?

Based upon what we know from this specific allegation, the Head Coach admitted to knowing that this going on. Why didn't he stop it right away? What else did he know? When did he know it? The AD has proven to be imcompetent if his baseball and soccer programs were a mess? Now football. What's next? The principals quote in that article is hysterical. She either thinks she is untouchable and is basically giving everyone the finger or she a moron.

I would hate to see the boys that have worked hard not be able to play, but there also has to be repurcussions.

So how about this?

LET THE KIDS PLAY BUT PUNISH THE ADULTS. Let the team go wherever they want to next year and practice as much as they want next year. But, FIRE THE HEAD COACH IMMEDIATELY! FIRE THE AD IMMEDIATELY. Give the principal a very strong warning. AUDIT THE FOOTBALL BOOSTER FUNDS AND ALL BOOSTER FUNDS AT THAT SCHOOL IMMEDIATELY and GOING BACK AT LEAST THREE YEARS. IF ANYTHING IMPROPER HAS BEEN DONE FIX IT AND IF ANYTHING ILLEGAL HAS BEEN DONE THEN PROSECUTE.

You gonna try to defend the adults in this situation? Are the parents going nuts and demanding this anyway? If not, then they can share guilt by association.

Comment

Originally posted by Tman
                          You may not get that, but I don't get what "cault" means. Did you go to school in Jacksonville too? There is no way that's a typo. You really think that's a word. OMG!
                          to me it is. who cares. what do u go around and look for miss spelled words..i did again, spelled u wrong, it should be you just like caught..lol..no i went somewere worse then there.. i guess i better start to check my spelling in my post. all well. its kool you noticed it, thxs for the info. by the way, why do people alway have to try and change the subjects in peoples posts, i have noticed that alot in the forums here.

Comment

Not making sense? That poster is saying there should be an audit of the booster club. And I'll bet you my left... that doing one would uncover a whole bunch of stuff. All we've heard about is the smoke. You know there is fire. It's dirty program. And there are probably a lot like them across the state and country but that does not excuse Nease.

Remember, this is a school where children are supposed to learn. What are they learning?

Based upon what we know from this specific allegation, the Head Coach admitted to knowing that this going on. Why didn't he stop it right away? What else did he know? When did he know it? The AD has proven to be imcompetent if his baseball and soccer programs were a mess? Now football. What's next? The principals quote in that article is hysterical. She either thinks she is untouchable and is basically giving everyone the finger or she a moron.

I would hate to see the boys that have worked hard not be able to play, but there also has to be repurcussions.

So how about this?

LET THE KIDS PLAY BUT PUNISH THE ADULTS. Let the team go wherever they want to next year and practice as much as they want next year. But, FIRE THE HEAD COACH IMMEDIATELY! FIRE THE AD IMMEDIATELY. Give the principal a very strong warning. AUDIT THE FOOTBALL BOOSTER FUNDS AND ALL BOOSTER FUNDS AT THAT SCHOOL IMMEDIATELY and GOING BACK AT LEAST THREE YEARS. IF ANYTHING IMPROPER HAS BEEN DONE FIX IT AND IF ANYTHING ILLEGAL HAS BEEN DONE THEN PROSECUTE.

You gonna try to defend the adults in this situation? Are the parents going nuts and demanding this anyway? If not, then they can share guilt by association.
                            Thank God you are not in any decision making capacity. In order to do that you need to LISTEN, not be emotional, pay attention to facts, apply them correctly with at least the smallest hint of logic.
                            They were punished the same way all other schools are punished for this offense. What part of that do you not understand? All the other stuff is smoke you are blowing and has absolutely nothing to do with the FHSAA ruling on this offense.
                            The kids are learning that you are punished according to the offense, not inuendo and rumor spread by someone with an agenda. They are learning that FHSAA does not have the authority to change the rules based on your feelings or to fire anyone. Thats not their role. You started this thread showing us what happend to Nease for breaking the rules. They got severely punished for it by the proper authority. You want them to be banned from their post season because other schools have had to fofeit thiers for continuing to recruit or for ineligible players - not the same thing, but you want it to be just because you think so. If you have problems with the AD, principal, boosters, or coach, take it up with the proper authorities. Unless you have a specific charge for FHSAA they are not in a position to act on your hysteria.

Comment

How is this guy guilty of hysteria? If the coach knew what was going on, and I'm sure a lot of players, parents and asst. coaches knew what was going, why didn't it stop immediately. Why are they this far into the season? Why does Nease self report now? Why didn't they self report right away? If the FHSAA had any sense, they would look around a little more? Do they really have that much money in the booster club? And if they do, it is tax exempt so it should be easy to find out how it has been spent. This sounds like a sports program that has a lot a lot issues. Why not fire the AD? What control has he shown? Baseball, soccer and now football - What's next? What did he know and when did he know it? I happen to agree that the principal sounds really naive, stupid or arrogant but shouldn't lose her job. i also agree that the kids should not be punished for mistakes made by grown ups that should know better. Hysteria would be dumping the whole program with a death penalty. Actually what the "hysterical" poster seems to be saying is logical because it is surgical. Cut out the bad/incompetent apples with serious sanctions (termination) and let the kids get on with it.

Maybe you are confusing ALL CAPS with HYSTERIA.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X