Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoa...these Eagleclaw parents...

Full disclosure...my DS plays for Seattle United. We have had a reasonably good experience there except for the fact that the practice fields change all the time.

I had occasion to go to Starfire last night (a friend’s son plays for Sounders Academy) and while I was there I happened to catch about 10 minutes of a game between Eagleclaw and a club called Gala FC. This was an older boys game - maybe U15 or U16 so it has pretty intense and the ref could have called more fouls to keep it a bit more under control.

But I was standing by a group of 3-4 parents from Eagleclaw and they had the worst sideline behavior I have ever seen. They were encouraging their players to “put #21 on his ass!” and yelling at the ref to “get that ***hole outta the game!” It was really quite unbelievable.

I think the ref actually stopped the game and talked to the Eagleclaw coach about this group of parents. It was the most aggressive and over the top group of parents I’ve ever seen.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Full disclosure...my DS plays for Seattle United. We have had a reasonably good experience there except for the fact that the practice fields change all the time.

I had occasion to go to Starfire last night (a friend’s son plays for Sounders Academy) and while I was there I happened to catch about 10 minutes of a game between Eagleclaw and a club called Gala FC. This was an older boys game - maybe U15 or U16 so it has pretty intense and the ref could have called more fouls to keep it a bit more under control.

But I was standing by a group of 3-4 parents from Eagleclaw and they had the worst sideline behavior I have ever seen. They were encouraging their players to “put #21 on his ass!” and yelling at the ref to “get that ***hole outta the game!” It was really quite unbelievable.

I think the ref actually stopped the game and talked to the Eagleclaw coach about this group of parents. It was the most aggressive and over the top group of parents I’ve ever seen.
    Can’t have DS/DD playing with this riffraff when they should be playing in La Liga.

Comment

Can’t have DS/DD playing with this riffraff when they should be playing in La Liga.
      I legit almost spit out my coffee laughing at this reply.

Comment

I photograph games and its the coaches that allow this culture. Many of the young coaches have no idea how to handle the parent aspect of coaching. Often the parents are older than the coach, leaving an insecure coach thinking they don't have the authority to put a stop to it.

The refs should put a stop to it as well, but with young refs they are afraid to stand up to adults behaving this way.

Some of the worst behavior I have seen has been in a regular season RCL div 3 game 7v7 age group. Not that any game warrants this sort of behavior, but what an absolutely meaningless game to cause grown adults to start yelling at youth refs and players. I actually went over and talked to the parents at half time in this instance. pointed out the ref was 14yo and how would they feel if a group of 20 adults was actively screaming at their child. They of course all claimed to be doing nothing, but did at least stop for that game.

you can tell if it's a div 1 rcl game just from listening to the parents, it's shocking how obnoxious they are. The constant sideline coaching and talking for the kids isn't helping their development. You go to a U14 game and the kids don't talk at, all the parents are doing it for them, "man on" "turn" etc. You are stifling your kids development when you do this for them. Kids afraid to try anything on the field for fear of their parents. They make a mistake and instantly look to the sidelines to see their parents approval or disapproval. I've watched parents who are at every practice flapping their arms around at every mistake their kid makes. It's practice . . . they are supposed to make mistakes. Then you just watch the kids fall apart and start moping on the field because dad's being an embarrassing ass on the sidelines.

every season should start with a parent meeting where the coach lays down the ground rules, and enforces them when parents get out of line.

Comment

none

PacNW parents are just as bad, enabled by their coaches as well.

Comment

Whoa

Maybe parents should be required to wear a badge/nametag showing which club they are affiliated with so they don't feel so anonymous. then the ref can give them a red card and ban them from the next game.

Being sort of facetious here

Comment

Not defending Eagleclaw parents, but have you seriously never experienced Seattle United parents?? Seriously?? Quite possibly tied with XFire's as the worst soccer parent culture in the state. No one is more effective at bringing out the worst in parents than Jimmy and Bernie.

Comment

We film games from both sidelines, for postgame review, and it seems to have a net positive effect on parents and coaches from both teams. A little different when you know it will be preserved on YouTube for all to see.

Comment

I have noticed that parent behavior is worse at younger ages. The higher your kid goes in soccer, the quieter the parents are, generally. Parents need to stay out of it. And coaches need to control parents and set an example. SU had a coach suspended a couple years ago for sideline language but plenty of others coaches out there that could tone it down & be more effective.

Comment

Northwest parents are nothing compared to other areas of the country. Parents in matching t-shirts? Coordinated chants? Cowbells? Those twirly mexican noisemakers? Fist-fights after games? I've seen it all...

Comment

Hahaha, that cowbell is so F#cking annoying!!!!! Experience that every once in a while when we have to play Federal way or in Puyallup.

Comment

Northwest parents are nothing compared to other areas of the country. Parents in matching t-shirts? Coordinated chants? Cowbells? Those twirly mexican noisemakers? Fist-fights after games? I've seen it all...
                        Yup, name calling against opposing players from Cali parents, potential fights etc etc

Comment

WPFC parents are insane.

Source: daughter plays for WPFC. Am constantly horrified by the other parents. At training and games.

Comment

hold on, WPFC parent here. i'm not insane and neither are the parents on my child's team. maybe you should have said, the parents on my daughter's team are insane.

Comment

That's fair. They're crazy enough for both teams anyways!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X