•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can DA kids play HS soccer?

Can someone clarify this:

Reign Academy Reserves
    Reign Academy Reserves teams offer near-elite players a DA-level training environment, but with more flexibility and a reduced time commitment. Reserves teams compete in the 2003/2004, 2005, and 2006 age brackets. Reign Academy Reserves players can be called up as Developmental Players to the DA teams, while players retain the opportunity to play with their high school teams.

"while players retain the opportunity to play with their high school teams."

I thought DA players can't play HS soccer, which was the major advantage of joining ECNL.

Newbie, apologies if this has been answered in the past, fairly new parent, still trying to digest the league(s) hierarchy and decipher the acronym soup.

The Reserves can play high school because they do not compete in the DA league, they play in PSPL. The "Reign" name doesn't make the Reign Reserves kids DA players.

There is theoretically the chance for a Reserve player to get called in for a DA game, but my understanding is that is unlikely. They're more likely to bring in a younger DA player if extra kids are needed to fill out the roster.

If your child wants to compete at a higher level and play high school, ECNL is the option...though I have heard that Reign Academy has offered to bend those rules to keep star players from leaving, but you really need to be a superstar.

Comment

i’ve seen one player in the 04 da reign team also okay in an ecnl team and she also played high school. She doesn’t play full or even half minutes with DA, so not sure the logistics of that setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        i’ve seen one player in the 04 da reign team also okay in an ecnl team and she also played high school. She doesn’t play full or even half minutes with DA, so not sure the logistics of that setup.
        There are several Reign reserve players who train regularly, and have played at least occasionally, with Reign DA teams (05, 04, 03 at least).

DA allows teams to designated players at part-time players, and those players may play up to 10 league games plus showcases with a DA team and still play hs. At least theoretically, a player strong enough to be an impact player on the DA team could choose to play reserves so that they could play hs but I’m not sure if that’s happened. We

Comment

There are several Reign reserve players who train regularly, and have played at least occasionally, with Reign DA teams (05, 04, 03 at least).

DA allows teams to designated players at part-time players, and those players may play up to 10 league games plus showcases with a DA team and still play hs. At least theoretically, a player strong enough to be an impact player on the DA team could choose to play reserves so that they could play hs but I’m not sure if that’s happened. We
          Yes, that must be what is happening. This 04 player is officially on the ECNL roster, but plays part time DA and played high school.

Clubs found out the hard way that sending kids to DA was detrimental for their org' health, and ECNL is a better fit since they can keep the player pathway in-house until college. So Reign built their own feeder system. Question is if the reserves are actually a conduit to DA, or are overly expensive so as to help fund the DA. Time will tell.

Comment

I don't think reign has much choice. All the ecnl teams are well established with their own feeder systems and pretty much no impact ecnl player is leaving their current team to go to DA and not play high school soccer. So either the reign reserve feeder system works as a talent incubator for their DA team or they will fold.

Clubs found out the hard way that sending kids to DA was detrimental for their org' health, and ECNL is a better fit since they can keep the player pathway in-house until college. So Reign built their own feeder system. Question is if the reserves are actually a conduit to DA, or are overly expensive so as to help fund the DA. Time will tell.

Comment

Looks like both the the 08 and 07 Reign feeder teams are sitting in second to last in their WNPL divisions, having observed the 08 team WNPL team, skill level is lower than PSPL Classic 2 west teams, and RCL div 3. So confused by the PSPL leagues and WNPL being presented as their most competitive league.

Going to take a lot of hard work by those kids to be at the level needed for DA if that is where they are at now.

Comment

Yes, that must be what is happening. This 04 player is officially on the ECNL roster, but plays part time DA and played high school.

That player is special with a special parent who happens to be a special coach at a special local school. She is a very good player, but think of the ECNL club who will allow this and the politics they play. Parents get what you can for your kid. No such thing as club loyalty.

Comment

When Reign started, groups of girls who were longtime friends/teammates moved over from other clubs to form the teams, plus or minus a few strong players added and a few who weren't chosen or couldn't pay the fees etc. Then as herd got thinned for birthyear and ECNL became an option and some players left, girls all got shifted around.

I think Reign will always have a few challenges: girls value playing soccer with their friends more than boys do, so there will be a strong pull to high school teams, and going forward, staying with ECNL at their home club if it's offered. Reign Reserves gives kids a chance to come up through the system with friends -- but how many of those players will truly prove DA level and join the Academy team? I'm not sure there's enough DA talent in the Seattle area when many good players will choose ECNL instead, especially if going to Reign means leaving friends and paying more $. Sounders Academy competes with Xfire for the best boys talent in the area and then pulls exceptional kids from all over the country. They're teammates, not a friend group.

Comment

Looks like both the the 08 and 07 Reign feeder teams are sitting in second to last in their WNPL divisions, having observed the 08 team WNPL team, skill level is lower than PSPL Classic 2 west teams, and RCL div 3. So confused by the PSPL leagues and WNPL being presented as their most competitive league.

Going to take a lot of hard work by those kids to be at the level needed for DA if that is where they are at now.
                    We played the 08s early and I would say that your assessment was accurate at that time. I saw them play later in the fall and they improvement was very evident. I think their coach is doing a really good job in a short period of time thus far.

That being said, Girls DA is a failing proposition, especially when every opponent outside of Portland and Crossfire require a plane ride. I foresee Bernie taking Crossfire out of
                    DA on both sides since they were relegated to Division 2, in spite of beating a bunch of the MLS sides.

Comment

When Reign started, groups of girls who were longtime friends/teammates moved over from other clubs to form the teams, plus or minus a few strong players added and a few who weren't chosen or couldn't pay the fees etc. Then as herd got thinned for birthyear and ECNL became an option and some players left, girls all got shifted around.

I think Reign will always have a few challenges: girls value playing soccer with their friends more than boys do, so there will be a strong pull to high school teams, and going forward, staying with ECNL at their home club if it's offered. Reign Reserves gives kids a chance to come up through the system with friends -- but how many of those players will truly prove DA level and join the Academy team? I'm not sure there's enough DA talent in the Seattle area when many good players will choose ECNL instead, especially if going to Reign means leaving friends and paying more $. Sounders Academy competes with Xfire for the best boys talent in the area and then pulls exceptional kids from all over the country. They're teammates, not a friend group.
                      Playing for the Sounders is great if you’re one of their top players. Unfortunately, where you are in their hierarchy ladder changes season to season. Always replaceable and purely transactional. Bench players not only get screwed in playing time with not getting rostered on game day, as new perceived better players feed in your value to the program goes down and never recovers.

Comment

Are some Reign players leaving mid season? I saw a new face recently that I am pretty sure was a Reign player before the holidays. Something going on at the Reign?

Comment

Are some Reign players leaving mid season? I saw a new face recently that I am pretty sure was a Reign player before the holidays. Something going on at the Reign?
                          Besides being bought by Lyon?

Comment

Reign reserves never play in DA games. Just ask someone on a reserve team. I love that the Reign Academy is a female centered club but the reserves is a completely different program and shouldn't be marketed as a pathway.

Comment

Reign reserves never play in DA games. Just ask someone on a reserve team. I love that the Reign Academy is a female centered club but the reserves is a completely different program and shouldn't be marketed as a pathway.
                              Not true.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X