Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US men U17's move on

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a blog that I picked up on another site. It was a good overview of the players for the U17 USMNT. BTW this was posted before the USA vs UAE game.

30 Oct 2009, 01:47 PM #19
    midfieldmadness

I posted this on anothe thread, but here are my thoughts n this squad going into the final group match. Would love to hear any comments on where I may be right and where I may be misguided. It's all based on a limited sampling of seeing this team, but thought I'd summarize my thoughts now before I get to wrapped up on whether they're in or out after the UAE match.

In the end, the results of these games are not that important (other than for giving these kids more chances to compete against top flight teams like Spain). What matters is the development trajectory of these players. From what I have seen, they are playing very attractive, possession soccer - better than any US team I can recall. The fact that they are making mistakes, not finishing, and sometimes a bit too slow in decision-making don't concern me in terms of the big picture.

This squad is progressing in terms of player development in my opinion. Also, the more I watch this team, the more I'm convinced that Cabrera is actually as much concerned about player development as he is about winning, and certainly more so than previous coaches and I think that's great for Bradenton. Here are a few points that make me think this:

1. The much discussed leaving LLegett and Gyau off of the squad. Rather than just going with the biggest horses, he's going with the ones who made the commitment to what he's trying to achieve - learning to play possession soccer as a unit.

2. His commitment to Shinsky in the last two games. First, Shinsky is a year younger than the other kids on the team and clearly is still growing and developing (he's very slight and seems to have a boy like body still), yet Wilmer seems to recognize his potential. Second, Shinsky is trying to take people on and get forward and though unsuccessful more than one would like, Cabrera is not punishing him for that. This is key to player development, giving them the freedom to try positive things in the final third, fail and rather than punish them try to help them improve on it. Third, Shinsky is one of the players who has seemed to have really developed over the past couple years.

3. Tyler Polak - I thought the kid was dreadful in the early games of this cycle and I didn't see much of anything in him. Over the course of the last 2 games it has become apparent to me that the kid has raw skills that Cabrera has recognized and helped him to develop. Polak still has a long way to go, but now even I can see the potential there (and I have to assume Cabrera saw it long ago).

4. Padolochik (still don't know how to spell his name) - another player who has improved drastically under Cabrera and who has gotten his chance in large part due to those who are "missing" from the roster. I think this kid has a good chance of picking up some European interest and that probably would not have been the case had Llegett, Gyau and the injured Renken been present.

5. Herold - He is another one who has developed a lot under Cabrera. His ball distribution is significantly improved and he gets forward with a purpose much more often. I like the progress he has seemed to make in terms of developement.

6. McInerney - though there's no question his performance has not been his best in this tournament. He became an offensive star under Cabrera's watch and European interest was generated. At the time of the 2007 friendlies, he was completely overshadowed by his flashier offensive teamates (Martinez, Jerome, Renken, Gyau). But over the course of the past two years he has developed into an impressive goal scorer. Scoring in all types of ways as well as making much better runs off the ball than he used to and being the one forward on this squad that seems comfortable playing with his back to the goal.

7. Edwards - True that this kid looked like something special when he first got to Bradenton, but he has grown tremendously as well. While he has not made many saves in this tournament, it seems clear that he has a strong command of his box. Additionally, he seems to have a strong understanding and buy-in to the possession soccer that Cabrera has been teaching. I don't think I've seen him punt the ball once this tournament and many of his throws are quick, one motion distributions to one of his players to keep possesion and get the attack going. His positioning also generally seems very solid for a keeper this age.

8. Renken and Gyau - beyond the point I mentioned already about them being left off the squad, they have gotten into a professional set-up. I recognize that it is debatable whether this is because of Cabrera or in spite of him. However, one thing that was clear to me when they were in residency is that he let both of them play free flowing soccer. They both were given the freedom to dribble and penetrate and develop their on the ball skill and flair within Cabrera's system. I view that as positive. Toward the end, Gyau was coming off the bench only, but I don't think it was because of his style of play.

9. Rumored Spanish press reports - I actually don't know if it's true or not, but the Spanish press was rumored to be impressed with the US play. This is no small thing. The Spanish, more than anybody, understand quality soccer and appreciate a team who is playing in the right way. That is what I think they saw in the US side despite the finishing blunders and the defenders occasionally being torched by some of the best players at this age in the world. I'm impressed that the Spanish were impressed (assuming they actually were).

So, I am very happy with what I've seen this cycle. I think several of these players are going to develop into more than we expect. I think some of the players who we currently think are dump are diamonds in the rough who Cabrera has been working to develop so they can be pros. I also am confident that several of the players that we all love will flame out in short order.

While I am frustrated with how this team is doing in terms of finishing (and at times defending) in this tournament from a results perspective, I am very happy with what they're doing in terms of how they play the game. In terms of the goal of player development, I could not be happier and think Cabrera is doing an excellent job. Even if they don't get through the first round, I'd be in favor of keeping him on as coach.

As others have said the real measuring stick for this group of players is 5 years or so off. I think, at that time, we may be pleased with what comes of this group regardless of how they do in the tournament.

Here are the first round results and one bloggers predictions:

The Round of 16 matches will be as follows:

Nigeria v. New Zealand (Nigeria will win)
    Switzerland v. Germany (toss up)
    Iran v. Uruguay (Iran should be favored to win)
    Turkey v. UAE (Turkey will win)
    Spain v. Burkina Faso (Spain will win)
    Italy v. USA (toss up)
    Argentina v. Colombia (Argentina would be favored to win)
    Mexico v. South Korea (toss up)

This, btw is not my opinion. Italy beat the USA much earlier in the season in a friendly. The game should be closer, especially if the USA starts to score on all their chances.
    It is my opinion, that this team, has a totally different look than the other USA teams. Their possession in the middle with the outstanding Gil is much better. I think he is the best player on the team.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
Working...
X