Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The False Romance of Russia

American conservatives who find themselves identifying with Putin’s regime refuse to see the country for what it actually is.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...russia/603433/

I've spent a fair amount of time in Russia (and other former Soviet republics such as the Baltic states, Armenia, and Moldova) on business trips since Putin solidified his power. I don't care if you are a liberal or a conservative, this article pretty much nails it. People soured on their own country of either political persuasion are more inclined to view another society with rose-colored glasses. And be easily manipulated by propaganda.

The US is not the hideous place described by Carlson, Coulter, and the like. It just isn't. Americans disgruntled by their place of birth need to spend some time abroad. They might just start to realize we're a pretty great country after all.

Trust me, folks. The "I'd rather be Russian than a Democrat" sentimentality is predicated on a false image. You may never be a Democrat, but you absolutely do NOT want to be Russian by any stretch of the imagination.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    American conservatives who find themselves identifying with Putin’s regime refuse to see the country for what it actually is.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...russia/603433/

I've spent a fair amount of time in Russia (and other former Soviet republics such as the Baltic states, Armenia, and Moldova) on business trips since Putin solidified his power. I don't care if you are a liberal or a conservative, this article pretty much nails it. People soured on their own country of either political persuasion are more inclined to view another society with rose-colored glasses. And be easily manipulated by propaganda.

The US is not the hideous place described by Carlson, Coulter, and the like. It just isn't. Americans disgruntled by their place of birth need to spend some time abroad. They might just start to realize we're a pretty great country after all.

Trust me, folks. The "I'd rather be Russian than a Democrat" sentimentality is predicated on a false image. You may never be a Democrat, but you absolutely do NOT want to be Russian by any stretch of the imagination.
    I'd read that already, and like you have spent a lot of time in the region, lived in three different countries (1 developing, 1 Eastern European and 1 European) and spend a good deal of time in other countries. The vast majority of Americans have no idea what goes on elsewhere and how fortunate they are. Even if they go as tourists it doesn't provide a full picture of what it's like to live in other countries. Russia is one of the last places you'd want to live. Not because it's sheethole (it is in rural areas, but it's fine in the cities) but because Russians still don't have many freedoms we take for granted. Corruption is rampant in the government, so is mafia activity, there's no freedom of the press, no ability to protest, they supress internet access, and the nation still spies on its citizens, it's just not under the KGB logo but a new one. I know Trump would like to live in a police state and have control of the media, but that's not America. Anyone who thinks that's what they want is a fool.

Comment

Unfortunately 30% of America is not as enlightened as the two of you. They only see that their own lives are not what they want them to be, and quickly latch on to a cult that tells them what they want to hear. By the time they realize they were lied to, it will be too late.

Lots of parallels to Nazi Germany in the 30's and 40's.
      https://www.amazon.com/They-Thought-.../dp/0226511928

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        ....Not because it's sheethole (it is in rural areas, but it's fine in the cities) but because Russians still don't have many freedoms we take for granted. ...
        OP here. I love St. Petersburg. It's a great city and tourists often fall in love with it. It's gorgeous!

I've lost count of the number of native Russians I've met there who would emigrate to the US in a heart beat if they could. They are painfully aware of the freedoms we have that they do not. If they don't know you very well, they'll say that jokingly. But when they trust you enough to truly confide, they will admit to a yearning to be free. And with a deep sadness. Because what they really really want is to stay in their home and be free Russians, not free expats.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        Working...
        X