Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EEE and practice times

Wondering what the various teams are doing for practice in the high and critical risk EEE zones? Our team has practice ending at 7:30 which doesn’t seem quite early enough in a critical zone. Is anyone else concerned about this or am I just over-reacting? And yes I’m spraying my kid head to toe with bug spray (but still got a bite last week)....

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Wondering what the various teams are doing for practice in the high and critical risk EEE zones? Our team has practice ending at 7:30 which doesn’t seem quite early enough in a critical zone. Is anyone else concerned about this or am I just over-reacting? And yes I’m spraying my kid head to toe with bug spray (but still got a bite last week)....
    Yes, you are overreacting. There are 4 cases reported in Massachusetts this year.

You are more likely to be killed on the way to/from practice.

Comment

You are NOT overreacting actually a women just died in Fairhaven MA. You shouldn’t have your kid in a high risk zone after 5:30 and I believe Bridgewater is moving practices indoors now.
      In Dartmouth MA they just said:
      The State has classified our area as a "moderate"threat for EEE and the Dartmouth school system has cancelled all outdoor school activities after 5:30PM.

Comment

Concern, sure. Panic, no. If you're in a hot zone (see link with map) then take all the precautions that you can - if you have to be outside at dusk/dark then use not just bug spray but wear long sleeves and pants. But keep in mind that while the disease is very scary it is still exceedingly rare.
        https://www.boston.com/news/health/2...etts-eee-death

Comment

You are NOT overreacting actually a women just died in Fairhaven MA. You shouldn’t have your kid in a high risk zone after 5:30 and I believe Bridgewater is moving practices indoors now.
          In Dartmouth MA they just said:
          The State has classified our area as a "moderate"threat for EEE and the Dartmouth school system has cancelled all outdoor school activities after 5:30PM.
          And Massachusetts averages over a fatality per day on the roads.

Still more likely to die going to/from practice.

Take steps, but don't let the media lead you into a panic.

Comment

Yes cover up and bug spray there are some natural repellents for sale that do work.Theres more things to worry about than EEE on your way to games and practice.

Comment

We only practice at the following times.
              1. Every evening till after dark-no bug spray allowed as it harms the environment
              2. All day when uv rays are at their highest with no sunscreen as it hurts the coral reefs
              3. Whenever windchill is 20* or below-no hat or gloves
              4. Impending tornado or hurricane threatens to blow Cape Cod off the map
              5. Heat index is at 100* or higher-no hydration

Club name: the Anti-Pansies

Please vote for Lizzie

Comment

I hear the helicopters warming up.

Comment

I thought I covered my kid in spray, but forgot behind the ears and he got a bite there. Unfortunately no way to ensure complete coverage of exposed skin.

Comment

I thought I covered my kid in spray, but forgot behind the ears and he got a bite there. Unfortunately no way to ensure complete coverage of exposed skin.
                    Might be best to keep them at home until this passes. Can't be too safe.

Comment

And Massachusetts averages over a fatality per day on the roads.

Still more likely to die going to/from practice.

Take steps, but don't let the media lead you into a panic.
                      I don’t disagree. But I think moving practices earlier or indoor would be a good precautionary measure. 4 human cases in the past month is pretty significant.

Comment

Might be best to keep them at home until this passes. Can't be too safe.
                        Be realistic. The odds are still incredibly low. Mosquitoes can be out well into October if the weather cooperates. Do you want your kid to miss all those practices? Talk to your club about alternative practice times during daylight hours.

Comment

I don’t disagree. But I think moving practices earlier or indoor would be a good precautionary measure. 4 human cases in the past month is pretty significant.
                          Out of the tens of millions of mosquito bites every summer.

Comment

Out of the tens of millions of mosquito bites every summer.
                            Exactly. This is an extremely rare occurrence. Barely measurable. Takes a lot of 0's in that percentage to make it register.

Comment

Where are all these unused facilities just waiting for someone to use?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X