Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign Scholarship Money

Do women foreigners who attend a United States College receive one of the complete scholarships? Or do they receive a piece of one of the scholarship allotments?
    Are the final allotments for the full tenure of study?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Do women foreigners who attend a United States College receive one of the complete scholarships? Or do they receive a piece of one of the scholarship allotments?
    Are the final allotments for the full tenure of study?
    In general foreign athletes get extremely generous packages. They often can attend university for free or nearly free at home so the need for an enticement exists. Only the top 5 conferences allow a 4 year guarantee. But if you're playing there's little risk you'd lose your money.

Comment

In general foreign athletes get extremely generous packages. They often can attend university for free or nearly free at home so the need for an enticement exists. Only the top 5 conferences allow a 4 year guarantee. But if you're playing there's little risk you'd lose your money.
      Outside of the P5, there are many schools honor the commitment all 4 years as well, even for those that don't work out. Not all do, of course. Not sure how you find that out before hand, except by word of mouth. My D's team has a few that get a ton of $$ and hardly play. But I suppose that's the risk when you are recruiting 14 & 15 year olds.

Comment

Outside of the P5, there are many schools honor the commitment all 4 years as well, even for those that don't work out. Not all do, of course. Not sure how you find that out before hand, except by word of mouth. My D's team has a few that get a ton of $$ and hardly play. But I suppose that's the risk when you are recruiting 14 & 15 year olds.
        There's more scholarships in women's soccer so that helps a coach's budget. In men's there's less to begin with and many more foreign players = greater likelihood you won't get much and might lose it. Believe it or not men's soccer has a higher transfer rate than women's (nearly 20% vs 10% women).

Comment

I wouldn’t make a blanket statement that they generally get “extremely generous packages”. Foreign players have different motivations for coming to the US and while many other countries provide low cost or free college education, that doesn’t mean its real good education compared to most US schools. Some players come to the US with hopes to stay and work here and know their home country’s college degree may get no recognition here. Others come from countries with very competitive leagues, but they are not good enough (yet) to get any recognition there and hope playing in the US will change that. So while a fair number may get good scholarship money and academic aid, I would say the majority aren’t getting that much athletic money and certainly not anything “generous” any more than most US players get. Many are just happy to be here that money is a secondary thing.

Comment

I wouldn’t make a blanket statement that they generally get “extremely generous packages”. Foreign players have different motivations for coming to the US and while many other countries provide low cost or free college education, that doesn’t mean its real good education compared to most US schools. Some players come to the US with hopes to stay and work here and know their home country’s college degree may get no recognition here. Others come from countries with very competitive leagues, but they are not good enough (yet) to get any recognition there and hope playing in the US will change that. So while a fair number may get good scholarship money and academic aid, I would say the majority aren’t getting that much athletic money and certainly not anything “generous” any more than most US players get. Many are just happy to be here that money is a secondary thing.
            Several Top 50 men’s program coaches have told me foreign players are popular because they are generally older and more often than not they accept smaller scholarships than the crazy US parents think their precious child deserves.

Comment

Men come with the hopes of getting an MLS gig - half of last year's picks were foreign. For women it's a chance to play D1 and study abroad. Still, US schools cost a fortune so they're getting some substantial money. Not all will have parents who can foot bills of $50,000 and higher to study here vs much cheaper at home.

Comment

Men come with the hopes of getting an MLS gig - half of last year's picks were foreign. For women it's a chance to play D1 and study abroad. Still, US schools cost a fortune so they're getting some substantial money. Not all will have parents who can foot bills of $50,000 and higher to study here vs much cheaper at home.
                Don’t assume that they can’t foot the bill just because they are foreigners. Typically, the most well-off students on most college campuses are the foreigners! You don’t go from running barefoot on a dirt field with no English and little education to play top soccer at a US college. That’s a stereotype. They are usually some of the best educated and coming from good clubs to go to school here.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X