Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing a soccer club for u12 girls.

I am currently researching U12 clubs for girls for next year in MA. It seems the clubs all have tryouts around the same time so it is hard. We are looking at FC Stars, South Shore Select, and NEFC Central. From our research and readings, and talking to parents those are the clubs that have the talent, coaches and competition. It is a big investment for us and a lot of driving but the local town clubs were not doing it for us. I know these threads can get combative... but we are just looking for really good advice please.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am currently researching U12 clubs for girls for next year in MA. It seems the clubs all have tryouts around the same time so it is hard. We are looking at FC Stars, South Shore Select, and NEFC Central. From our research and readings, and talking to parents those are the clubs that have the talent, coaches and competition. It is a big investment for us and a lot of driving but the local town clubs were not doing it for us. I know these threads can get combative... but we are just looking for really good advice please.
    Prioritize.

* How much do you want to invest financially?
    * How much do you want to invest with yours, and your families', time?
    * What are your long-term and short-term goals?
    * What are your daughter's long-term and short-term goals?
    * Why is she playing soccer? What does she do outside trainings and games with soccer?

Any of the clubs will give you a pathway into higher level if that's what you want. I'm not associated with any of them.

NEFC and Stars are "deeper" i.e. "larger" clubs with more teams in more leagues to provide a different path and experience which should satisfy for all.

At the top level, Stars is likely (LIKELY) the top in terms of gaining the best results. Individually, SSS has had the most successes on a per player basis. After the very top team for Stars, all the others are relatively equal. Their top teams take a different path than NEFC and SSS.

Comment

No way this is question is real but here is what's real. It doesn't matter.
      All 3 of those clubs are good and so are Scorps and GPS.
      EVERYTHING depends on her - are friends important? A more serious culture? Other sports?
      and parameters must be set by you: Commute, Cost, Culture

In 2-3 years the top players will gather at the top clubs, and it won't matter if your D was or wasn't at that club for u12.

Comment

In 2-3 years the top players will gather at the top clubs, and it won't matter if your D was or wasn't at that club for u12.[/QUOTE]

I have a question about this- what will happen to the current u12 or U13 players say at NEFC or Stars? Will they get displaced for better talent? NEFC is already ranked number 1 current team, not sure if you could get better talent.

Comment

If your kid is a true baller and you want the trains, planes and automobile life by U13 (and now U12 with pre-ECNL/DA) you have four choices:

FC Stars ECNL (2 teams)
          Scorpions ECNL
          NEFC DA
          Select DA

All four clubs have good and bad coaches, team & parent dynamics. All four of those programs can not be realistic driving options from anywhere in MA. (Lancaster, Taunton, Hingham & Mendon). In all likelihood, unless you are insane, you have a choice between two of the four based on location.

Comment

In 2-3 years the top players will gather at the top clubs, and it won't matter if your D was or wasn't at that club for u12.
            I have a question about this- what will happen to the current u12 or U13 players say at NEFC or Stars? Will they get displaced for better talent? NEFC is already ranked number 1 current team, not sure if you could get better talent.[/QUOTE]

Not the OP.

The higher you go in any pyramid, the less spots there are. Players from outside the club currently may "top out" with their current club and look to get into a club in a higher league or with better overall competition. So, it's not unusual (in any sport, job, life) to be displaced by someone better even though you could be with a club for years. I've seen it happen. Heck, I'm describing our situation...but my daughter did the displacing.

That's why you should consider what your goals are and how much dedication you are willing to provide. Because, within 3-4 years, it's likely the roster you see now will be much different then.

Comment

No way this is question is real but here is what's real. It doesn't matter.
              All 3 of those clubs are good and so are Scorps and GPS.
              EVERYTHING depends on her - are friends important? A more serious culture? Other sports?
              and parameters must be set by you: Commute, Cost, Culture

This question is real and I am sorry if because I am new I am naive to the process. I guess that is what I was wondering do the top players from each team get chosen and all put together for another elite team like a Club State team? I think what you are saying is you can't really go wrong with any of those clubs because the cream of the crop of each team will get noticed and selected for a state team?

Comment

I have a question about this- what will happen to the current u12 or U13 players say at NEFC or Stars? Will they get displaced for better talent? NEFC is already ranked number 1 current team, not sure if you could get better talent.[/QUOTE]

If you are currently in U12, you will be hitting expanded rosters next year. That means more spaces. But, also, the bottom 1/3 of a roster is dynamic and the top 1/3 usually remains pretty solid. Just because a team is a #1 team at U12 doesn't mean it will remain that way...and being #1 is a vague concept today since not everyone is directly competing against each other.

Comment

This question is real and I am sorry if because I am new I am naive to the process. I guess that is what I was wondering do the top players from each team get chosen and all put together for another elite team like a Club State team? I think what you are saying is you can't really go wrong with any of those clubs because the cream of the crop of each team will get noticed and selected for a state team?
                  Generally true. But, also, not everyone who CAN play on a Club's best team WANTS to play on that team. Not everyone wants to pony up the $$$ and time for that, and that's perfectly fine. That's why the bigger clubs provide a good outlet where good players can still play.

Comment

If your kid is a true baller and you want the trains, planes and automobile life by U13 (and now U12 with pre-ECNL/DA) you have four choices:

FC Stars ECNL (2 teams)
                    Scorpions ECNL
                    NEFC DA
                    Select DA

All four clubs have good and bad coaches, team & parent dynamics. All four of those programs can not be realistic driving options from anywhere in MA. (Lancaster, Taunton, Hingham & Mendon). In all likelihood, unless you are insane, you have a choice between two of the four based on location.
                    We live in a location where most of the good clubs are an hour away. We could even venture into RI but not loving what we are seeing and hearing about the clubs there. So hard to choose and like I said the tryouts all fall on the same week everywhere so you have to make a choice and gamble. I agree about the coaches too. It's hard to know how its going to pan out when some coaches aren't as good as others.

Comment

Don't limit yourself to those clubs. The mid and small clubs have a lot to offer, especially at those ages. Sounds like you have the time, so go watch games and try to attend some training sessions at as many different clubs as you can get to.

Comment

Prioritize.

At the top level, Stars is likely (LIKELY) the top in terms of gaining the best results. Individually, SSS has had the most successes on a per player basis. After the very top team for Stars, all the others are relatively equal. Their top teams take a different path than NEFC and SSS.
                        Again forgive me for being clueless but what is the "different path" stated above for Stars vs. NEFC? (Thank you again for being patient with me!)

Comment

Don't limit yourself to those clubs. The mid and small clubs have a lot to offer, especially at those ages. Sounds like you have the time, so go watch games and try to attend some training sessions at as many different clubs as you can get to.
                          Thank you that's what we will do this year. We were looking into ODP too but have heard negative things. I heard from one coach that we can attend a practice to try them out but not quite ready to pull the trigger. Just want to gather information this year and make the decision.

Comment

Again forgive me for being clueless but what is the "different path" stated above for Stars vs. NEFC? (Thank you again for being patient with me!)
                            ECNL v. DA. And if you don’t know the difference you aren’t ready for this discussion.

Comment

Sorry...trying like hell to not turn this into a debate that is coming (not your fault)...but....here goes.....

Stars top teams compete in a league called ECNL (as does Scorpions as someone referenced). SSS and NEFC compete in a league called USSGDA.

Each have their pluses and minuses. Each have very good teams and bad teams. Each drive parallel to each other for many hours to compete against teams far away vs. each other in their own backyards.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X