Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvard Crimson women’s ID camp

Are the Crimson summer ID camps (grade 7-12) good and worth it or are they too big and just money makers? My dd is thinking of going but doesn’t want to waste time. Which Ivies have the best ID camps for girls?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Are the Crimson summer ID camps (grade 7-12) good and worth it or are they too big and just money makers? My dd is thinking of going but doesn’t want to waste time. Which Ivies have the best ID camps for girls?
    If she wants a good time at a local camp, a cool shirt, and some experience, GO!
    If you think shes got IT, GO! Either way the truth needs out

Comment

Is the Dartmouth or Harvard id camp better?

Comment

Is the Dartmouth or Harvard id camp better?
        Is Ginger or Maryanne better?

Harvard is better cuz its closer to most
        Dartmouth is better because its prettier
        Harvard is better because its one school
        Dartmouth is better because multiple colleges attend
        Harvard is better cuz its more prestigious
        Dartmouth is better cuz your kid can believe they have a better chance
        Harvard is better on that since Dartmouth beat them last year

Comment

Does either one actually recruit any players out of their camp or is it just a money maker?

Comment

Does either one actually recruit any players out of their camp or is it just a money maker?
            Recruits absolutely attend, along with a lot of soccer tourists.
            No idea how many are discovered. Camp is part of a long process with many observations and mixed criteria for mutual selection. Is it possible that some girl shows up, and wows? Sure.
            More likely a rising sophomore attends to show interest and stays in touch through year of showcases, and academic updates.

Comment

To the OP, why does your D want to attend? Is Harvard on her target school list? Is it at all realistic for academics and soccer? Is she the right age to be serious about recruiting? If all yes, then go ahead with some caveats. One she must contact the coach ahead of time to get on his radar. Two, if it's her first camp she might want to do another first to get her feet wet. If it's more for experience then she doesn't have to do Harvard. There's plenty of other local ones to chose from.

Comment

Recruits absolutely attend, along with a lot of soccer tourists.
                No idea how many are discovered. Camp is part of a long process with many observations and mixed criteria for mutual selection. Is it possible that some girl shows up, and wows? Sure.
                More likely a rising sophomore attends to show interest and stays in touch through year of showcases, and academic updates.
                A lot of schools say "6 of our 7 new recruits attended our camp" but those stats are misleading - like you said the camp is often times a part of the process. The majority were already of high interest to the coach and the camp is part of the confirmation process. Kids not on their radar can be discovered but it's not common. If it's a school you really want go for it. Just reach out to get on their radar ahead of time.

Comment

Do the numbers! If Harvard (or any school) has a couple of ID clinics each year, and has 150 kids at each, that's 300 players Harvard is looking at, for maybe 7 spots. But Harvard also attends other ID camps, and sees hundreds more kids at tournaments and showcases. For 7 spots.

So do they discover kids at theirs camp (which is the question you are actually asking, I think)? The answer is yes. But look at the odds. The possibility of being discovered is *remote*.

Also, and I have a boy, but I imagine it's the same for girls, the quality of play isn't great at these camps, making it even harder to stand out.

I think -- generally-- you shouldn't do these camps hoping to be discovered, but rather as part of a process. Emailing coaches before tournaments, getting seen there, getting seen at the school's camp etc.

Comment

Do the numbers! If Harvard (or any school) has a couple of ID clinics each year, and has 150 kids at each, that's 300 players Harvard is looking at, for maybe 7 spots. But Harvard also attends other ID camps, and sees hundreds more kids at tournaments and showcases. For 7 spots.

So do they discover kids at theirs camp (which is the question you are actually asking, I think)? The answer is yes. But look at the odds. The possibility of being discovered is *remote*.

Also, and I have a boy, but I imagine it's the same for girls, the quality of play isn't great at these camps, making it even harder to stand out.

I think -- generally-- you shouldn't do these camps hoping to be discovered, but rather as part of a process. Emailing coaches before tournaments, getting seen there, getting seen at the school's camp etc.
                    My D is at a different Ivy, which also does summer camps. At her school the recruiting classes attend the summer camps to familiarize themselves with the program and eachother, but they were identified and committed long before camp. For them, it's more of a bonding experience and a chance for the coaches to make sure the best of them don't slip away to another school.

Even though the camps might label themselves as elite or identification camps, there seems to be a wide disparity in playing ability among the campers (my D has worked a bunch of these camps at this point). That is not a good thing, as the coaches are astute enough to understand that an average player scoring repeatedly against weak players is still just an average player. So, sending your kid to a camp may help her to figure out whether she likes the place and the program, and there's a slight possibility that she could get a coach to notice her - but it's not really the typical path to Ivy recruitment.

Comment

My D is at a different Ivy, which also does summer camps. At her school the recruiting classes attend the summer camps to familiarize themselves with the program and eachother, but they were identified and committed long before camp. For them, it's more of a bonding experience and a chance for the coaches to make sure the best of them don't slip away to another school.

Even though the camps might label themselves as elite or identification camps, there seems to be a wide disparity in playing ability among the campers (my D has worked a bunch of these camps at this point). That is not a good thing, as the coaches are astute enough to understand that an average player scoring repeatedly against weak players is still just an average player. So, sending your kid to a camp may help her to figure out whether she likes the place and the program, and there's a slight possibility that she could get a coach to notice her - but it's not really the typical path to Ivy recruitment.
                      Brown does so many that it seems more like a money making venture than a true recruiting venture. Not sure about Harvard or Dartmouth camps? Anyone else have experience with those camps? Having the new recruits attend sounds smart but I hope coaches look for new camp attendees that are outperforming their currently recruited players too. At some camps, the coaches don’t seem to bother and only watch those already on their radar. While it’s tough in the ID camp atmosphere, Ivies have the time to find the best players.

Comment

Same experience for my kid.

- attended few camps before committing
                        - some coaches contacted her through coach early
                        - attended camps more than once when coaches wanted to follow up
                        - keeps attending the camp after she committed

Generally you should get feedback if it’s worth attending same camp again. Coaches tend to know which players they want to watch depending on ‘what group you are placed in’ and sometimes (due to ncaa rules) you may need to nudge your club coach to receive any feedback.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Is this a CH post? If so, come on man. Stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered

Harvard’s girls’ camp is terrible. Ask anyone who has gone. Terrible soccer. The recruiting is all done outside the camp.

Comment

Harvard’s girls’ camp is terrible. Ask anyone who has gone. Terrible soccer. The recruiting is all done outside the camp.
                              But the recruits do go - they were invited

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X