Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fewer Kids Playing Sports In Their Teen Years

Recent stats show that there is an increasing number of kids quiting sports in their teenage years.
    "it isn't fun" seems to be the message.
    I think there are two parts of this. One is the parents and coaching. There is little doubt, as evidenced by TS thread, that parents drive their kids crazy. There is too much structured play and pressure to be the best and win. I don't know if it will work, but I send my kid out as often as he can to fool around with the ball or play pick up with friends....

The second, actually contrasts the first. It is the air of the entitled youth. The competitive attitude that once was is disappearing. Kids don't want to compete. They are constantly being told, by their teachers and by society that competition, stress, and pushing limits is unhealthy. They are told that being trying to be the best isn't healthy and, for the masses that aren't, might make kids feel bad.

Well, combine 1 and 2 and find a balance. Stress and competition are good, but it has to be fun and stimulating. It is alright to try to be the best....and alright not to be the best.

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/news...-kid-campaign/

Lots of kids are competitive. lots of families are also smart enough to see when that competitive spirit is being exploited into an abusive soccer industrial complex that is way too much about making money money business and not about a useful or productive experience for a maturing human being.

A sucker may be born every day but another sucker gets wise and moves on every day as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Lots of kids are competitive. lots of families are also smart enough to see when that competitive spirit is being exploited into an abusive soccer industrial complex that is way too much about making money money business and not about a useful or productive experience for a maturing human being.

A sucker may be born every day but another sucker gets wise and moves on every day as well.
      The stats show that the number getting 'wise' is out paced by those who are done.
      Data shows that kids are moving in the wrong direction.

Comment

The stats show that the number getting 'wise' is out paced by those who are done.
        Data shows that kids are moving in the wrong direction.
        Which is the wrong direction? Out of organized sports or into organized sports?

Comment

Which is the wrong direction? Out of organized sports or into organized sports?
          Fewer kids playing sports.....organized or not.
          The goal of Kobe Bryant and his organization is to figure out how to bring them back. This might reduction in costs, but more so means a way to figure out how to combine competitiveness with enjoyment. The current concern is that playing sports is like a job.

Comment

There are not many “fun” recreational sports opportunities for teenagers. Most town and rec soccer programs are aimed at pre-HS ages. Then they try out for HS and start getting cut because there only so many freshmen spots. It gets competitive real quick and club soccer is all about competition and winning. Travel tournaments, showcases, etc. don’t appeal to kids who just want to have fun with their local friends. The problem is that we’ve conditioned kids to operate in a parent-organized world; kids just don’t go out and play pick-up games in an unstructured way. If semi-organized sports programs aren’t offered for teenagers who are just looking for recreation, then they have no idea what to do.

Comment

Fewer kids playing sports.....organized or not.
              The goal of Kobe Bryant and his organization is to figure out how to bring them back. This might reduction in costs, but more so means a way to figure out how to combine competitiveness with enjoyment. The current concern is that playing sports is like a job.
              A job is much better. At least you get paid for doing a job instead of having to fork over lots of your hard earned cash.

Comment

There are not many “fun” recreational sports opportunities for teenagers. Most town and rec soccer programs are aimed at pre-HS ages. Then they try out for HS and start getting cut because there only so many freshmen spots. It gets competitive real quick and club soccer is all about competition and winning. Travel tournaments, showcases, etc. don’t appeal to kids who just want to have fun with their local friends. The problem is that we’ve conditioned kids to operate in a parent-organized world; kids just don’t go out and play pick-up games in an unstructured way. If semi-organized sports programs aren’t offered for teenagers who are just looking for recreation, then they have no idea what to do.
                I can not agree more with you...there are no league for our teenagers (soccer, baseball, basketball) to just have fun with their friends.

Seems like everything is toward potential scholarships in college, and not just been active and have fun!!!! It is sad...

Comment

I can not agree more with you...there are no league for our teenagers (soccer, baseball, basketball) to just have fun with their friends.

Seems like everything is toward potential scholarships in college, and not just been active and have fun!!!! It is sad...

I absolutely agree with what you are saying but disagree with the concept that even the competitive teams/leagues can't be fun. There are two extremely important variables:
                  Parents
                  Coaches

I don't know if parents can be trained but coaches can. However, even if the coaches can be trained, the parental part of this can be extreme and harsh.

As a parent, I do recall telling my teenager that we weren't going on any more of these trips to tournaments if he wasn't going to play the way I knew he could. He realized that he wasn't playing how he wanted to play, changed his play had the ball more often, started having tons of fun and is now playing in college and having a great time. In this case, the coach didn't really care since he had others who were stepping up.

However, the coach can really make or break it for your kid by making sure he/she is involved and that those who hog the ball are put in check....at least a little. Criticism from the coach is good as long as it is constructive and the player gets the chance to correct.

I do disagree if you are suggesting that the competitive teams and leagues can't be a ton of fun. However, the input of parents and coaches are the biggest variables and most are not prepared or trained to take on young players and teenagers.

Comment

I absolutely agree with what you are saying but disagree with the concept that even the competitive teams/leagues can't be fun. There are two extremely important variables:
                    Parents
                    Coaches

I don't know if parents can be trained but coaches can. However, even if the coaches can be trained, the parental part of this can be extreme and harsh.

As a parent, I do recall telling my teenager that we weren't going on any more of these trips to tournaments if he wasn't going to play the way I knew he could. He realized that he wasn't playing how he wanted to play, changed his play had the ball more often, started having tons of fun and is now playing in college and having a great time. In this case, the coach didn't really care since he had others who were stepping up.

However, the coach can really make or break it for your kid by making sure he/she is involved and that those who hog the ball are put in check....at least a little. Criticism from the coach is good as long as it is constructive and the player gets the chance to correct.

I do disagree if you are suggesting that the competitive teams and leagues can't be a ton of fun. However, the input of parents and coaches are the biggest variables and most are not prepared or trained to take on young players and teenagers.
                    Of course competitive teams can be fun - for those who are doing it. Some kids don't want to play that competitively. That's the point. They want to play but without the pressure or travel or cost. Once you hit 14 it becomes much more difficult to find more relaxed environments and adult leagues often times don't allow teens. Unless you're at a small high school you may not even make your HS sports teams either (and depending on the coach that might not be fun either). I especially feel for the younger teens who also don't have access to a car and many areas don't have public transportation. It's hard to get any kind of job until you're 16 or older. They're in kind of a dead zone.

Comment

More kids playing today than ever .... Just far more options available now that water down each sport and every level.

Comment

More kids playing today than ever .... Just far more options available now that water down each sport and every level.
                        Not true. Youth soccer participation 6-12 years old has dropped 15% in just three years. Those ulittle drops mean fewer teens playing in a few years. Clubs are merging, running fewer teams to survive

Comment

Actually.....no.
                          Although the last report that I know of was a year ago, that report showed a 14% drop in youth soccer
                          Overall, sports participation is down 9-10% due to a host of reasons, two of which are listed (parents and coaching), the others including time, cost, risk and concern for injury.

Comment

Actually.....no.
                            Although the last report that I know of was a year ago, that report showed a 14% drop in youth soccer
                            Overall, sports participation is down 9-10% due to a host of reasons, two of which are listed (parents and coaching), the others including time, cost, risk and concern for injury.
                            One reason you missed is competition from other activities. They have a lot more options as they get older other than playing sports.

Comment

One reason you missed is competition from other activities. They have a lot more options as they get older other than playing sports.
                              video games.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X