Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elite soccer camp at Dartmouth college

Any opinions on this residential camp for girls? Seems pricey.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It's Ivy League ... get used to it.

Comment

Why are you looking at it? For recruiting or just to train? If you're just looking to get your kid some summer training there's plenty of options out there at all price points. Most multiday ID events aren't worth it and by the last day kids are exhausted. If you're on the recruiting circuit try to stick to one day events. Also, if your kid wants to get recruited by Dartmouth they should have already been in correspondence with the coach to see if there's some interest. Otherwise you're just padding the budget.

Comment

its over-priced

Comment

Why are you looking at it? For recruiting or just to train? If you're just looking to get your kid some summer training there's plenty of options out there at all price points. Most multiday ID events aren't worth it and by the last day kids are exhausted. If you're on the recruiting circuit try to stick to one day events. Also, if your kid wants to get recruited by Dartmouth they should have already been in correspondence with the coach to see if there's some interest. Otherwise you're just padding the budget.
          Not bad advice, but not the best either. Depends on whether Dartmouth is a target school or not. I know families that send their kids to UNC camp in the summer even though there is no chance in hell of being recruited there (class of 2022 is already mostly committed for instance). They want the training and competitive environment and are willing to spend for it. We're not in that camp and use ID camps for targeted recruiting.

As far as communication goes, if you have a freshmen or sophomore who is interested in Dartmouth, reaching out to the coach and attending the camp is a great way to get on their radar and also see where your player stands relative to others who are looking into that program. If your player performs well, it is a simple matter to get the college staff to watch a game or two in season if there is interest and begin recruiting conversations.

Don't listen to those who say you have to already been in contact with coaches or be seen. My kid has generated recruiting interest from multiple programs after introducing themselves via email prior to the camp and then performing well at the camp. Of course some of those conversations happened prior to the new rules going in effect, but coaches can still express interest in other ways. In our case, it was direct feedback from conversations specifically about ID camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
            Not bad advice, but not the best either. Depends on whether Dartmouth is a target school or not. I know families that send their kids to UNC camp in the summer even though there is no chance in hell of being recruited there (class of 2022 is already mostly committed for instance). They want the training and competitive environment and are willing to spend for it. We're not in that camp and use ID camps for targeted recruiting.

As far as communication goes, if you have a freshmen or sophomore who is interested in Dartmouth, reaching out to the coach and attending the camp is a great way to get on their radar and also see where your player stands relative to others who are looking into that program. If your player performs well, it is a simple matter to get the college staff to watch a game or two in season if there is interest and begin recruiting conversations.

Don't listen to those who say you have to already been in contact with coaches or be seen. My kid has generated recruiting interest from multiple programs after introducing themselves via email prior to the camp and then performing well at the camp. Of course some of those conversations happened prior to the new rules going in effect, but coaches can still express interest in other ways. In our case, it was direct feedback from conversations specifically about ID camp.
            The ID camps were incredibly valuable for our daughter. She went to the camps and then was followed by the coaches, resulting in multiple offers. If your daughter or son is interested in Dartmouth, I would definitely send her/him there.

Comment

It's not just Dartmouth, other D3 schools stated to be in attendance
              https://www.elitesoccercampinc.com/g...tial-camp1.cfm

If you can afford it, it will be a great experience, and will help understand your player's level. I would have reasonable expectations about it as a pathway to being recruited at Dartmouth, but it certainly won't hurt, and if D is out of reach, the other schools are there too.

Comment

It's not just Dartmouth, other D3 schools stated to be in attendance
                https://www.elitesoccercampinc.com/g...tial-camp1.cfm

If you can afford it, it will be a great experience, and will help understand your player's level. I would have reasonable expectations about it as a pathway to being recruited at Dartmouth, but it certainly won't hurt, and if D is out of reach, the other schools are there too.
                If the recruiting thing is new to a player. I recommend doing a one day event nearby with a similar level program or programs (if possible). It's another good way to see where players fit without the travel and high cost. Then you can adjust your targeting accordingly. With one of my kids it was clear they were aiming too high, another was spot on.

Comment

I'll preface this by saying that my info is about 4 years old, so things may have changed since, but from our experience: If your daughter is interested in a few of the schools attending, it can be worthwhile. She would want to reach out to the schools before the camp, though, to let them know that she'll be attending and ask them to watch her.

My daughter went summer after sophomore year (4-5 schools on her "list" were attending), and all of the coaches that she contacted in advance followed up with her immediately afterwards with interest. For us, it was great, and was more cost-effective than individual camps. As I remember, the girls were divided into groups for training/tournament play during the day, and then on Day 2 and 3 they have an afternoon showcase or "all-star" game, with a small number of girls (2-3?) from each group selected to play. All of the attending coaches watch the all-star games. My D played in both all-star games and was therefore seen at least 2X; her club teammate wasn't chosen for either, so didn't have that opportunity to be seen and she didn't get the same response from coaches after the camp (but she may also not have reached out to anyone before the camp [?]). It's not ideal that the all-star game is handled in that way, and maybe it's been changed since.

I agree it's definitely NOT worth the money unless there are a few schools of interest attending; if not, save the time and $$ investment for individual camps.

Comment

Can't speak for the girls side...but my son is going to this camp. It's his first time...it might be too late...but I will provide an update next week.

Comment

Can't speak for the girls side...but my son is going to this camp. It's his first time...it might be too late...but I will provide an update next week.
                      Update: Dropped my son off yesterday. Camp seems well organized with some assistant coaches helping out (Northeastern, Bates, etc). Dorm is a bit tired (Kind of surprised for such a prestigious school). Kids from all over the country and some very good clubs (Majority are DA, ECNL and NPL) . There is a wide range of ages (9-12) but they balance it very well on the teams (Teams compete in a World Cup tournament over the course of a few days). They train/play about 4.5 hrs/day on Fri and Sat (Less on Thur and Sun since they are less than half days). Only received a little bit of feedback from my son so far but he seems to be enjoying it.

Comment

My son enjoyed it too but it wasn't useful at all for recruiting younger kids. Last year they included rising 9th graders -- why??? Made the quality of play pretty poor.

My son has done 2 nescac one day camps this summer as a rising junior and they were worth it. He was in touch with coaches before and after and got good feedback. The level of play was much better than the Dartmouth camp (which is the reverse of the actual schools' teams).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X