Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All is not well a US Soccer

Article today about the toxic environment at US Soccer, complaints of nepotism, insulated senior management. One said it was a dream job but a nightmare place to work. Likely a mass staff exodus after the WC.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/s...imes&smtyp=cur

Shocker. They do it to their paying parents too ... haha .... apple doesnt fall far from the tree.

Comment

Like the article says, a 200 person corporation packed into a small mansion with management that hasn’t changed in nearly 20 years...imagine your own workplace and then wonder what could go wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Like the article says, a 200 person corporation packed into a small mansion with management that hasn’t changed in nearly 20 years...imagine your own workplace and then wonder what could go wrong?
        We are worse off now than 20 year ago
        They should all be fired.
        200 people to do what...carry the money to the bank
        Berhalter and Berhalter?
        We need Sepp Blatter

Comment

Let's see if USSF/Cordeiro does the right thing after this article and cleans house. I am betting not, because that's the nature of this f***ed up organization, but hopeful that naming and shaming still has an impact in today's environment (wishful thinking?)

Comment

Let's see if USSF/Cordeiro does the right thing after this article and cleans house. I am betting not, because that's the nature of this f***ed up organization, but hopeful that naming and shaming still has an impact in today's environment (wishful thinking?)
            If this was a public company, leadership would have been cleaned out long ago for incompetence and poor performance.

Soccer in this country would be much better off without the USSF. It's a colossal waste of taxpayer money. It's no accident that the sports thriving in this nation aren't burdened by a power hungry governmental bureaucracy.

Comment

If this was a public company, leadership would have been cleaned out long ago for incompetence and poor performance.

Soccer in this country would be much better off without the USSF. It's a colossal waste of taxpayer money. It's no accident that the sports thriving in this nation aren't burdened by a power hungry governmental bureaucracy.
              agree with all your sentiment, but just to clarify, USSF is not a taxpayer funded entity (other than running as a non-profit). nor is any organized sport in the USA.

but holy s**t - i just checked their non-profit form 990 for 2018 and here's this:

Total Compensation:

Dan Flynn, CEO: $836,517
              Jay Berhalter, COO: $609,271

Jurgen Klinsmann: $3,354,167
              Bruce Arena: $1,274,957
              Dave Sarachan: 251,784

Jill Ellis: $318,533

Andreas Herzog: $363,534 (MNT assistant)
              Tab Ramos: $345,297 (MU20 coach)

There's just so much to unpack here. Nearly $5mm in USMNT head coach salaries to *not* qualify for the World Cup. CEO/COO of non-profit taking home nearly $1.5 million (well above median comp). MNT youth and assistant coaches making more than USWNT head coach.

Comment

agree with all your sentiment, but just to clarify, USSF is not a taxpayer funded entity (other than running as a non-profit). nor is any organized sport in the USA.

but holy s**t - i just checked their non-profit form 990 for 2018 and here's this:

Total Compensation:

There's just so much to unpack here. Nearly $5mm in USMNT head coach salaries to *not* qualify for the World Cup. CEO/COO of non-profit taking home nearly $1.5 million (well above median comp). MNT youth and assistant coaches making more than USWNT head coach.
                Eye opening...

Comment

Total Compensation:

This is the TS equivalent of the approach shot I hit into 17 yesterday - one bright spot that keeps me coming back.

Comment

Total Compensation:

I started the thread - those numbers are eye popping for a supposed nonprofit. Here's where they are located - an area of Chicago that is slowly getting gentrified. I'm from there...you can get much cheaper space at some office building in the burbs. Place looks tiny. https://www.bing.com/maps?q=us+socce...58daad69c18dce

And read the one Yelp review from 2010. It's funny/sad as it still applies today https://www.yelp.com/biz/u-s-soccer-...tm_source=bing

Comment

Article today about the toxic environment at US Soccer, complaints of nepotism, insulated senior management. One said it was a dream job but a nightmare place to work. Likely a mass staff exodus after the WC.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/s...imes&smtyp=cur
                      "In the reviews, and in interviews with The Times, past and present U.S. Soccer staff members described grievances common to almost any company: too much work, too little pay, bosses who don’t listen. But in their open disdain for Flynn and Berhalter, the employees also paint the portrait of an organization — one still emerging from a broad restructuring sparked by the humiliation of missing the 2018 World Cup — that is dominated by a small group of long-serving executives, and infected by dissatisfaction and mistrust.

“Dream job, nightmare organization,” read one post added a week ago. “Intervention needed” was the title of another. “Terrible leadership,” said a third."

Comment

people talk about cleaning house. Who WANTS to work for them? Have to live in Chicago. Have to let women run the women's game even if better qualified people exist. its not a meritocratic group. Failure is allowed and loyalty/nepotism is rewarded

There is zero incentive to make changes as too many people are making more money than they could ever maker anywhere else.

the teams are run exactly the same way.

i have no idea what the catalyst for change will be,

Comment

people talk about cleaning house. Who WANTS to work for them? Have to live in Chicago. Have to let women run the women's game even if better qualified people exist. its not a meritocratic group. Failure is allowed and loyalty/nepotism is rewarded

There is zero incentive to make changes as too many people are making more money than they could ever maker anywhere else.

the teams are run exactly the same way.

i have no idea what the catalyst for change will be,
                          Great gity so I'll dispute that point, but all the rest is in target. Unfortunately if the women win, which is likely, there will be little incentive to reform. I also think you need someone in charge who knows the game yet still is a leader and can run an organization. Not an easy job to fill

Comment

This is the TS equivalent of the approach shot I hit into 17 yesterday - one bright spot that keeps me coming back.
                            thank you kind sir. I try and keep up appearances.

Comment

Great gity so I'll dispute that point, but all the rest is in target. Unfortunately if the women win, which is likely, there will be little incentive to reform. I also think you need someone in charge who knows the game yet still is a leader and can run an organization. Not an easy job to fill
                              it is a VERY easy job to fill if you remove all the politics. You need a person who can build consensus and accept what they dont know. Instead, they hire from a group of insiders in both administrative and coaching roles.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X